Star Wars Episode IV - Overhyped ?

Swordofmorning

- This bugged me the most, after Han and co. escape in the garbage section, why does no stormtrooper follow them? they just vanished in front of them and its not like they've barred the door.

SoM,

Did you miss the part where the Imperials let them get away so that they could figure out where the Rebel base was and destroy it?

Just such a stupid topic.

It was and still is one of the most important films of all time. Yeah, now the special effects aren't great but at that time they were the best anyone had ever seen.

So what? None of this means the movie isn't overrated to a ridiculous degree. There is a hell of a lot more to a movie than special effects. 

So what? None of this means the movie isn't overrated to a ridiculous degree. There is a hell of a lot more to a movie than special effects. 

I think a ton of people don't realize what overrated means. It seems many think it just means "bad", instead of "not as flawless as most people think it is".

Again you have to view it in context. I think its well recognised these days that Star Wars isn't the best movie of all time, and its viewed as beneath Empire by most. But as an action movie, as a blockbuster, its a complete game changer. It might be the most important movie ever in fact, in terms of the effect it had on cinema. 

Even now there are very few blockbuster movies that surpass it, and that says a lot.

Again you have to view it in context. I think its well recognised these days that Star Wars isn't the best movie of all time, and its viewed as beneath Empire by most. But as an action movie, as a blockbuster, its a complete game changer. It might be the most important movie ever in fact, in terms of the effect it had on cinema. 
Even now there are very few blockbuster movies that surpass it, and that says a lot.

I never said it is not important historically or that it didn't influence the movie industry an awful lot. The topic isn't about that, it's about its quality, not how much money it made and how many producers and directors tried to imitate it later hoping to get the big bucks too.

I never said it is not important historically or that it didn't influence the movie industry an awful lot. The topic isn't about that, it's about its quality, not how much money it made and how many producers and directors tried to imitate it later hoping to get the big bucks too.

I'm not even talking about the money it made etc, I mean in the way it was made, the quality of its writing and direction, the style it had and the universe it managed to build out of that one movie. Its quite incredible and nothing was like it back then, and maybe hasn't been for a long while afterwards.

What would you consider to be a greater film or series of films in the same genre?

I rewatched Serenity and ANH (for the first time in a while) in the last couple of days. Serenity, despite at the time feeling like a let-down from Firefly, is frankly a considerably stronger film. It has less iconic elements in terms of villains, cool spaceships etc, but although SW is peppered with iconic lines that we all remember, the in-between dialogue and character-building are much better in Serenity and it even has a couple of iconic lines of its own (I aim to misbehave). Obviously, the action you can forgive as of its time but yeah, Serenity has it there too; the leaf on the wind scene should be the gold standard for space opera action nowadays. 

I'll probably rewatch Empire this week, see if I find that stronger.

I loved the final scene of Serenity. There are a number of really good sf films that are at least on par with the OT. The Star Wars films are still my favorites but I'm reasonable enough to admit they are not the be-all end-all of sf cinematic history. Blade Runner is fantastic. Sunshine is amazing. 2001: A Space Odyssey is a classic.

I loved the final scene of Serenity. There are a number of really good sf films that are at least on par with the OT. The Star Wars films are still my favorites but I'm reasonable enough to admit they are not the be-all end-all of sf cinematic history. Blade Runner is fantastic. Sunshine is amazing. 2001: A Space Odyssey is a classic.

If we're talking SF in the broader sense, then quite a few films blow Star Wars out of the water, but, to be fair, when it comes to space opera specifically, that's less true. Especially in cinema: TV obviously has a few iconic ones.

Then again, if we're talking its influence regarding the blockbuster and big franchise film series rather than just space-opera/SF, it's been beaten there as well, in quality if not popularity; the only things that can match it as pop-culture phenomena are LotR and Harry Potter, neither of which started as films obviously.

If we're talking SF in the broader sense, then quite a few films blow Star Wars out of the water, but, to be fair, when it comes to space opera specifically, that's less true. Especially in cinema: TV obviously has a few iconic ones.

Then again, if we're talking its influence regarding the blockbuster and big franchise film series rather than just space-opera/SF, it's been beaten there as well, in quality if not popularity; the only things that can match it as pop-culture phenomena are LotR and Harry Potter, neither of which started as films obviously.

Sure, it blows away other space operas. However, its influence regarding blockbusters and big franchises is unmatched.  I won't contend the quality or popularity of both LOTR and Harry Potter, but I do like the comparison with LOTR. Both films were extremely popular and well-made trilogies(imo) paving the way for two extremely terrible trilogies. And Harry Potter started the money-grabbing trend of splitting finales into two films, with at least one being shit. The Harry Potter and LOTR were good films, however. And yes, they already had a fan-base established, which Star Wars lacked. But unlike Star Wars, LOTR and Harry Potter weren't ground-breaking.

Archived