Star Wars Episode IV - Overhyped ?

Swordofmorning

And Harry Potter started the money-grabbing trend of splitting finales into two films, with at least one being shit. 

Just so we agree here : you're saying part 2 is shit right ?

Deathly Hallows part 1 is the best movie of the saga !!! I'd even go as far as calling it a masterpiece but I know that's a very unpopular opinion !

Deathly Hallows part 1 is the best movie of the saga !!! I'd even go as far as calling it a masterpiece but I know that's a very unpopular opinion !

I've never seen this opinion before. Part 2 was definitely better (I'm not saying either are great).

Sure, it blows away other space operas. However, its influence regarding blockbusters and big franchises is unmatched.  I won't contend the quality or popularity of both LOTR and Harry Potter, but I do like the comparison with LOTR. Both films were extremely popular and well-made trilogies(imo) paving the way for two extremely terrible trilogies. And Harry Potter started the money-grabbing trend of splitting finales into two films, with at least one being shit. The Harry Potter and LOTR were good films, however. And yes, they already had a fan-base established, which Star Wars lacked. But unlike Star Wars, LOTR and Harry Potter weren't ground-breaking.

To be clear: I wasn't arguing against Star Wars' influence; just that there have been better films that are big franchise-y, perhaps pulp-fiction-inspired blockbusters since it started the trend. 

Haha, no part 1 was terrible.

To be clear: I wasn't arguing against Star Wars' influence; just that there have been better films that are big franchise-y, perhaps pulp-fiction-inspired blockbusters since it started the trend. 

Ah ok. Just curious, what big franchise films do you think are better?

• The Brothers's Tale, the dark contemplative atmosphere, Malfoy's Manor, the creepiness at Bathilda's, the doe and Ron's torments, the huis-clos aspect of the trio... No really, I stand by my point ! DH part 1 is a masterpiece !

• The Brothers's Tale, the dark contemplative atmosphere, Malfoy's Manor, the creepiness at Bathilda's, the doe and Ron's torments, the huis-clos aspect of the trio... No really, I stand by my point ! DH part 1 is a masterpiece !

No way! The harry potter movies were completely average, then Alfonso Cueron turned up and made the exceptional number 3, then they went all the back to average boring fare up until DH2 which managed to be one of the few genuinely good movies in the series.

Part 1 is one of the worst movies (not just harry potter) i have ever seen. 

Honestly, i hate splitting the final movie in 2 movies....always makes it worse.

To each his own. I thought it was terrible and bringing up existentialism just drops it even lower in my opinion. I hated reading Huis clos and even had to see the damn play for a course.

Ah ok. Just curious, what big franchise films do you think are better?

Jurassic Park. The first two Nolan-verse Batfilms. Pirates of the Caribbean maybe (the first, though I'm in the apparent minority that likes the second two). Alien/s (not sure Aliens is better than ESB, mind). The first two X-men, particularly X2. Parts of the Marvelverse. LotR. Bourne, if you count that (despite being a blockbuster it seems to stretch even the widest definition of 'a bit like SW'). The Matrix. Fury Road.

Oddly enough, despite the widely-held opinion that RotJ is a step down, it's still one of the most consistent trilogies because it seems to be really hard for Hollywood to maintain quality for more than two films. But there are certainly a few that match or beat SW for a film or two.

I hear a ton of people say Deathy Hallows part 1 was the best of the series.

I personally thought it was boring as hell.

I'm one of those ! 

I knew it was an unpopular opinion but I didnt expect the backlash I'm seing here... I cant understand how anyone could hate it when it's the most grim, pessimist, psychological and esthetic one of the saga ! 

Nah, I don't think RotK was flawless (and I know for a fact that a certain scene annoys you), but I certainly think it was a - relatively speaking - better ending to Lord of the Rings than RotJ was to the Star Wars OT. Both RotJ and RotK have some highly egregious scenes, but I think RotK manages to put in the really good parts more consistently. The soundtrack is also more memorable. 

I haven't seen the extended edition of RotK, though. 

Anyway, I have always maintained that FotR was my favourite Lord of the Rings film, but I don't think that RotK was ''a huge step down'', although in defence of RotJ, it did have to follow ESB. 

RotK would have been a better film if Jackson had done what he originally intended to do and removed the army of the dead. He was too worried it would upset book purists though. 

Ab,

You know that might have worked.  Jackson made changes to FOTR that streamlined the film, dropping Tom Bombadil/Old Forest/Barrow Downs and eliminating Glorfindal in favor of Arwen, and made the movie more focused.  Had he stuck with his gut and had Arwen leading the Elvish forces at Helms Deep I think that would have made more sense.  As such I think you are correct dropping the "Army of the Dead" may have made RotK a better film.

RotK would have been a better film if Jackson had done what he originally intended to do and removed the army of the dead. He was too worried it would upset book purists though. 

Unfortunately for him, he made it the army of the washing up liquid and upset book purists anyway.

PG,

I believe you would call me a "book purist" yet I accept and acknowledge that some changes were necessary to translate the story from the books to film, see my prior post for changes that I think worked.  I simply think a number of those changes, scrubbing bubbles of death and carpet chewing crazy Denethor as prime examples, significantly weakened a strong existing story.

I thought the Force Awakens was overhyped. I understand that this was meant to be a passing of the torch to a new generation but it is a carbon copy of the original.  For all their faults at least the prequels attempted to tell an original story.  

Star Wars on the other hand was not. Luke said he should have been there at the death of his aunt and uncle because he thought he could have prevented it. 

PG,

I believe you would call me a "book purist" yet I accept and acknowledge that some changes were necessary to translate the story from the books to film, see my prior post for changes that I think worked.  I simply think a number of those changes, scrubbing bubbles of death and carpet chewing crazy Denethor as prime examples, significantly weakened a strong existing story.

I'm not disagreeing with you.

The Force Awakens felt more like a tribute film to me than an actual film.  Aside from the repeated tropes, which I take I'm supposed to not mind because they were so obviously deliberate, their reversals such as that big event on the bridge there didn't work for me the same reason the reversal of New Spock and Kirk's roles in Kirk's "death scene" didn't - because  modern day kirk and Spock didn't have the same history as their classic counterparts.  I hardly know anything about Han and the Vader wanna-be who looks like Josh Groban's relationship for me to care about it ,and whatever little I feel, it's only 'cause Han and Leia are the parents.  So that climactic scene just felt by-the-numbers and a waste to me.

Effin became more bland as the film went along and I started detaching when Rey did the I'm-running-away-from-my destiny schtick.

I had hopes, expectations, and fears but I wasn't expecting to be so underwhelmed by it; and certainly I wasn't expecting to have new appreciation for the prequels and to actually miss George Lucas.

Archived