NFL Wild Card Round: Browns picked to finish last in AL Central in 2016.

Joe Pesci

Grigson is being retained, but for how long no one knows. 

Grigson had one year left in his contract and coach Pagano's contract expired. The coach got a 4 year extension and Grigson's extension was for three years (both are signed till 2019). According to Isray their contracts are now "joined at the hip" and yes, I am outraged that Grigson did not get canned.

Yeah, first off I"m not sure that's the case any more than it is, and second I'm not sure that I care even if it happened. The teams that have dominated have done so largely on their ability to get the best QB or at least a very good one. My suspicion is that similar to baseball, while teams that spend will have an advantage it isn't an insurmountable one, and what really matters is getting talent evaluation and important positions. 

We're already seeing the effects of this as the horrible rookie contracts have gone away - the teams that have shown a lot of success tend to be the ones that are young, have cap-friendly contracts and landed a good QB. The teams that have failed are the ones that continue to rev on their QB and continue to miss on depth and have to supplement for free agency. I don't think that would change a ton. 

He's trolled injury reports by doing things like listing Brady as Probable with a shoulder injury for most of a season. As far as I know, he hasn't actually concealed injuries, at least not to the extent that, say, the Colts did with Luck's injuries this year.

I suppose, but hasn't Belichick kind of fucked around with injury reports in the past?

As far as I know, not under the current rules regarding it (Brady was on there for something like 3 straight years before it was changed).  

Now, like several other coaches, he is basically all questionable unless they are 100% out, and if there's any amount of doubt, he waits to the last feasible moment to take care of it.  But nothing that several other coaches aren't doing.

It would be funny if the league made the Raiders, Chargers, and Rams play in their original cities.

Raiders stay put. Chargers go back to LA. Rams end up in...

... Cleveland.

Actually, any team in Cleveland already has a leg up on most other sports team. They have one of the top fan bases in the country. Now, the Browns management can rightly be criticized to no end, but Cleveland is an amazing place to play football.

As far as cities where football doesn't really have a great fan base, St. Louis is among the top. They are really much more of a baseball crowd. The absolute worst city in the nation for sorts though is Miami. Those fans are horrible. I've never been to an NFL city that cared less about their team.

I've never been to an NFL city that cared less about their team.

Soon enough, the Rams will show you new heights of fan apathy.

Actually, the Jaguars had some kind of blackout streak, right? Was it that way when they were good? Has anyone been to Jacksonville to observe fan interest in games?

ETA: Also, I apologize to St. Louis for doubting their demographic capacity to sustain a football team, because Jacksonville.

The terms of the contract do not state you can't hold out. They just give a penalty for doing so. It's a pretty big penalty. And like I said, I'd have zero problem with it if the ownership couldn't cut bait at a moment's notice with virtually no penalty. 

It isn't a child having a tantrum, either. That kind of verbiage is precisely the idiotic siding with the owner mentality that sucks. It is a businessman making a choice, and that businessman has a hell of a lot more on the line than the owner does. Sometimes the choice isn't the best one, and some times it is (as it was with Palmer, for instance) - but comparing it to a child having a tantrum for not getting their way? What fucking bourgeois bullshit that is.

Also, Calvin Johnson is thinking about retiring, because the Lions can't have nice things.

Fifty points for using bourgeois in a sentence. And while I would be sadfaced to see Calvin retire, I think the laugh I'd have at Detroit's expense would balance the scales. Most interesting stat I saw wasn't that he's comfortably #1 in every major reception category since he entered the league, but he's only 3rd in targets. That's impressive.

Probably not. But Jimmy Haslam makes that tougher than it should be. A politically-connected crooked billionaire with a revolving door hiring policy vs. spoiled bratty douchebag? I'd just pray for a meteorite to take out their meeting room.

Oh and in other news, RG3 said, if he's cut by Washington, he'd like to be a Cowboy. Wonderful news! Which disgraced and recently tossed to the curb quarterback it going to be, Jones Boys? Griffin or Manziel? Maybe BOTH. You should go for both. 

Is disgraced a little harsh for RGIII? Humbled, embarrassed, humiliated, or Kirked maybe? Disgraced seems a little strong unless something heinous has completely slipped my mind or passed me by unnoticed. I don't want him going to Dallas as of now, because I still want to see him go somewhere like NE and be great. But... the fact that he wants to go to Dallas actually makes me dislike him now...

I'm becoming more convinced that the cap and the whole thing just needs to go away. Fully guaranteed contracts, no cap. Screw it. Let's go back to the days of the 80s. 

It's not like we don't have largely the same teams doing well year in and year out anyway. 

I like the cap, it makes rosters and FA exciting to me. I would much prefer that the balance of a team's remaining cap space be put into some kind of a disability fund.

He's trolled injury reports by doing things like listing Brady as Probable with a shoulder injury for most of a season. As far as I know, he hasn't actually concealed injuries, at least not to the extent that, say, the Colts did with Luck's injuries this year.

Doesn't he just list players as 'lower body injury', 'upper body injury' for the most part? I recall hearing that somewhere.

Actually, any team in Cleveland already has a leg up on most other sports team. They have one of the top fan bases in the country. Now, the Browns management can rightly be criticized to no end, but Cleveland is an amazing place to play football.

As far as cities where football doesn't really have a great fan base, St. Louis is among the top. They are really much more of a baseball crowd. The absolute worst city in the nation for sorts though is Miami. Those fans are horrible. I've never been to an NFL city that cared less about their team.

Sorry Cowboy, but this is laughable. Passionate fans do not a happy player make, I think. I'm sure it helps, but when's the last time a homegrown talent not named Joe Thomas took a hometown discount or even stuck around at all? Alex Mack practically scratched his fingers into bloody stumps trying to get away a couple of years back. Meanwhile guys sign with shitshow crowds like Tampa or Miami all the time for the great weather and lack of income tax.

As this clown perfectly illustrates, it's much more likely that their fans will believe in just about anything so they stick around year after pathetic year...I mean come on, Santa AND a real football team in Cleveland??? :D

browns+fan+santa+wish.jpg#cleveland%20br

Is disgraced a little harsh for RGIII? Humbled, embarrassed, humiliated, or Kirked maybe? Disgraced seems a little strong unless something heinous has completely slipped my mind or passed me by unnoticed. I don't want him going to Dallas as of now, because I still want to see him go somewhere like NE and be great. But... the fact that he wants to go to Dallas actually makes me dislike him now...

Agreed he's not disgraced though yeah all those other things. And, holy shit, seeing him in a Cowboys uniform would definitely bring about a pang. Like seeing an ex-girlfriend with that guy you hate the most. Kirk Cousins has been a revelation this year but the RGIII rookie year experience was unlike anything I've experienced as a fan. 

I mean I get why he wants to go back - he's from Texas after all - and is still a legend there from his time at Baylor. And maybe he also wants a chance at revenge. Jerry Jones is on record that he's willing to take on risk at backup QB so long as there's upside which obviously is a reference to Manziel or RGIII. Fortunately I think he's still most enthralled by JCF and will go that way if given the choice. I also don't think Stephen Jones will give him that choice (or if he does, in kind of a throwaway concession to the old man to make him happy, while he's deciding al the actual major decisions: who to take in rounds 1-7, who to re-sign etc.) 

The big question with RGIII, bigger than the loss of athleticism, is whether he'll ever become a quick decision maker from the pocket. His sack rate, even in 2012, was  always 2-3x higher than Cousins in the same offense. But he'll be super cheap, has a great arm and those elite instincts are in there somewhere. Among the things I'm most curious about this offseason is where he ends up. FFS let it be out of the division. I don't want to root for his failure, let alone feed those troll Skins fans who hate him for some asinine reason.

As a Cowboys fan, I wouldn't touch him.  IMO, he's in the T-Rich tier of proving he's an otherwise elite player whose flaw is so glaring, he's not playable.

http://profootballzone.com/nfl/rg3-missed-five-open-receivers-one-play-last-week-photo/

It takes Trent Richardson caliber lack of vision (QB version) to miss 5 WIDE open WR on a play.  

I'd rather get Weeden back.

Archived