NFL Wild Card Round: Browns picked to finish last in AL Central in 2016.

Joe Pesci

It probably shouldn't, but sports leagues get all sorts of leeway to behave anti-competitively. Players had to go to court and win major cases just to get free agency.

Could you imagine the lawsuits if we made engineers or nurses or physical therapists, or any other private sector employees, go through a draft or tried to prevent from employment at the location of their choice? The leagues are already getting a huge pass on antitrust practices, were they to attempt to eliminate F.A, they would be soundly struck down quicker than you could say Curt Flood.

http://deadspin.com/katie-nolan-and-tommy-dreamer-critique-bills-fans-wrest-1751569177

Is it just Bills fans who are this crazy?

I've got to imagine fans of every team are getting hammered attempting pro wrestling moves on each other. And giving each other handjobs during a game in the stadium.

Why do we only see videos of Bills fans?

http://deadspin.com/katie-nolan-and-tommy-dreamer-critique-bills-fans-wrest-1751569177

Is it just Bills fans who are this crazy?

I've got to imagine fans of every team are getting hammered attempting pro wrestling moves on each other. And giving each other handjobs during a game in the stadium.

Why do we only see videos of Bills fans?

I am sure all teams' fans get up to crazy shenanigans, but it does seem to be more concentrated in Buffalo, doesn't it? Or maybe it's a self-fulfilling prophecy, where Buffalo fans get noticed for some crazy shit, which inspires more Buffalo fans to act along. 

Also, it makes perfect sense that the Gronkowskis are from Buffalo.

Agreed.  I really hope Griffin goes anywhere outside the division so I can root for him, because I still like the guy.  I would be pretty ok with the Griffin led Jets defeating the Cousins led Redskins in 2019, because he has some legitimate grievances. 

I think that while the RG3 and Manziel comparisons are understandable (athletic Heisman winning quarterbacks from Texas who were 1st round picks and will be hitting free agency), I think it is unfair to Griffin.  Griffin has made a few PR mistakes, but he has been a professional.  He works and studies hard, he stays out of trouble and he wants to win.  Lots and lots of guys are first round picks who can't make it in the league and none of them are disgraced, they just aren't good enough.  It happens, and Griffin may one of them. 

Manziel may or may not be good enough, but it looks like it's not going to matter because he is either just an incredibly undisciplined man-child or an alcoholic.  Neither is a path to success in the NFL.

Yeah, y'know what killed me was listing to a former NFLer on the radio here, say he was talking with other former NFL guys about who'd they take a chance on between Manziel and RGIII. And all said Manziel because he doesn't have the injury history, the brittleness, and they see a bit of young Brett Favre in him. 

Professionalism doesn't matter apparently even to ex-NFlers.  I mean, again, only one of  these guys has ever had any kind of success in the NFL.

What are the chances Manziel ever learns an NFL playbook or puts in the necessary work? What QB has ever been successful without that? It's clear he's straight trolling the Browns at this point to get them to trade him somewhere more desirable. It's only been a year and a half since he was telling the Browns GM to take him so "they could destroy the league together". Though in fairness that may have just been temporary mania from doing a line in the Radio City Music Hall bathroom. 

Christ, I hope videos of other teams' fans start getting press, it was already embarrassing a long time ago, now it's just getting worse.  Buffalo is a very drunk city overall, as those videos attest, so I'm not honestly surprised at the concentration.

From a Cowboys fan perspective, I don't want either Manziel or RG3. If gun to head and made to choose, give me Manziel, only because of the injury issue. We have seen RG3 play quite a few NFL games after his injury and it seems to have totally changed him. Manziel may be an idiot, but he may be a fixable idiot. I think RG3 would be a better teammate and I could root for him, he seems like a very good person.

As to the Buffalo fans, I'd rather read stories about them drinking and partying, hand jobs whatever, than hear about Philly, Raiders, Dodger fans beating people to death.

From a Cowboys fan perspective, I don't want either Manziel or RG3. If gun to head and made to choose, give me Manziel, only because of the injury issue. We have seen RG3 play quite a few NFL games after his injury and it seems to have totally changed him. Manziel may be an idiot, but he may be a fixable idiot. I think RG3 would be a better teammate and I could root for him, he seems like a very good person.

As to the Buffalo fans, I'd rather read stories about them drinking and partying, hand jobs whatever, than hear about Philly, Raiders, Dodger fans beating people to death.

Between those two, I agree (Aggie class of '13, so not exactly unbiased.  Was at school to hate RG3, and was at school for Manziel's run).  RGIII has some off field stuff I'm not crazy about, but his big problems are on the field.  

As long as he's not risking other's safety, I don't give 2 shits what Manziel does off the field, and he's flashed potential on the field.  Seeing what they've done with Dez, and given Romo still has a legitimate couple years left, I'd want them to take a flier on him and hope that athletic potential develops.  

I still want another drafted QB this year.  Not necessarily a day 1 or 2 pick, but someone to compete with Manziel (or Griffin) who you think can develop.

Between those two, I agree (Aggie class of '13, so not exactly unbiased.  Was at school to hate RG3, and was at school for Manziel's run).  RGIII has some off field stuff I'm not crazy about, but his big problems are on the field.  

As long as he's not risking other's safety, I don't give 2 shits what Manziel does off the field, and he's flashed potential on the field.  Seeing what they've done with Dez, and given Romo still has a legitimate couple years left, I'd want them to take a flier on him and hope that athletic potential develops.  

I still want another drafted QB this year.  Not necessarily a day 1 or 2 pick, but someone to compete with Manziel (or Griffin) who you think can develop.

There it is. :P 

Off the field activities matter even in a purely on the field output sense in terms of signifying commitment to one's craft. Talent just gets you in the door in the NFL - what you do from there is determined largely based on how hard you work, your ability to grind your way to greatness. I don't know any great QB who doesn't work his ass off in terms of mastering the playbook, film study, reps etc. And even that's an understatement. There's working hard and there's the eating, sleeping, breathing football that's endemic to guys who becomes really good professional QBs. It's a level of hard work that's different in both degree and kind from the hard work it takes to be a really good college QB. 

My take is that RGIII worked hard by any reasonable standard but not NFL hard. Not like what Kirk Cousins has done - dude plots out his day in 15 minute increments, studies film over his lunch break etc.....even when prepping to be a backup. And, honestly, I don't think Johnny Manziel has ever worked half as hard or approached his job with half the professionalism as even RGIII. What, he's gonna finally try for real in Dallas? All those times he's been straight-up lied to his coaches and the media in Cleveland, and had other people lie on his behalf, about what he is and isn't doing...he was just kidding, but now he's serious? Y'ever work with someone who just doesn't get it? Johnny Manziel profoundly doesn't get it. 

And holy fuck is he a distraction. A coke-line-snorting, fake-mustache-wearing, can't-stop-appearing-in-party-videos, Justin-Bieber-of-the-NFL level distraction. 

All this is a long way of saying - we agree. I, too, would love to see him in a Cowboys uniform next season. 

In terms of football, RGIII is leaps and bounds already a better NFL quarterback than Manziel. Manziel can not take a snap from center, drop back, and pass the ball correctly. It is not in his skill set at all, and I don't think it will ever be in his skill set. 

RGIII is bad at it, but has been in development now for two solid years. With another year or two of practice, it will be as natural to him as any QB coming out of college who played in a pro style offense. When you add in the fact that he has one of the best arms in the game, RGIII has potential and Manziel does not. 

I really believe that RGIII is going to make a great QB in the NFL. Someone just needs to invest in his development, and I hope it is my Cowboys.

Archived