NFL Wild Card Round: Browns picked to finish last in AL Central in 2016.

Joe Pesci

Yeah, the only guy in recent memory to best it is LaDainian Tomlinson with 2,300 total yards (rushing/receiving)...and 31 TDs in 2006. Which looks like something out of a video game. Of course he's a sure first ballot HoFer.

Not quite the playoff resume of TD though :P 

Poor LT, they overworked him during the regular season and as a result he was run-down come playoff time. The Colts used to do the same shit with Edge.

Owens and Moss were always interesting counterpoints. Moss' personality issues were a lot more manageable off the field, and even gradually became largely benign, but he tended to play more selfishly on it. Owens was much more fragile/selfish off the field...or on it when not actually playing....but he actually played much less like a diva; willingly blocked, went over the middle etc., stuff Moss often thought beneath him. Always an odd contrast.

I don't see how this makes any sense at all. Did you watch or listen to the game? Arizona tried pretty hard to win in the first half. They mailed it in in the second half, but by then it was 30-6. Why would you keep Palmer in and get him hit 5 times if you weren't trying? 

As I said before, Arizona had the #1 seed to play for and was playing at home. There's no indication at all that they weren't trying. 

And while Seattle beat up a bunch of teams they should beat up, it's kind of telling how badly they beat those teams. 

Ah... no. 

All information points to the Cards not going for a big win, playing a really vanilla game-plan   .  The Panthers were playing Tampa Bay, a team so ferocious they fired they head coach 72 hours later.  The Cards had clinched a playoff-bye in week 16 so the ONLY way this game could mean anything is if the Panthers lost and they were not going to lose to TB.  

Palmer played in the first half just to see how things would go- hey, who knows, maybe something would happen.  NOPE!  So, they pull him in the second half.  Arian said after the game “It was planned ahead of time.”  Supposedly the press saw the Cards practice this week and could tell they were not going pedal-to-the-metal. Apparently, this was so vivid to everyone that Arian said “Yeah, this game was lost Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.”  

According to yet ANOTHER article Arian supposedly admitted that  the plan all along was to starting replacing starters, including quarterback Carson Palmer, at halftime. No matter what. 

Ultimately, I don't really know.  You can try as hard as you want at game-time, but if you dogged it at practice all week; if your QB's health is a clear factor; if your head coach said he was going to pull the starters in the second half; if getting home-field was a long-shot; and if you cannot lose anything if you lose... it seems like the Cards lost this game... maybe as early as last Wednesday.  

Pretty damn excited for tonight.  I thought our season was done after the Ravens loss. I don't know why I hear football people say the Steelers are the team no one wants to face? I'd love to play the Steelers. Secondary is trash, green boys at the running back position and it seems like Ben is good for one boneheaded interception a game. I hope that isn't the case tonight. Reggie Nelson has his number.

Let's see.

Bruce Arians says he won't rest starters vs seahawks:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nfl/cardinals/2015/12/28/cardinals-bruce-arians-says-he-wont-rest-players-vs-seahawks/77980356/

Arians knew bad game was coming because of practice, but hated it:

http://espn.go.com/blog/arizona-cardinals/post/_/id/18671/cardinals-learn-valuable-lesson-in-blowout-loss-to-seahawks

Now I'm willing to believe that the players weren't taking it as seriously as they could - but all indicators were that arians was fucking pissed at the result, that they had no intention of resting anyone (and if you were going to, why would you play your fragile qb a whole half?), and that he was going to use this as a teachable moment. The players called their effort weak and lackadaisical - not words you typically say when resting starters.

Make no mistake, I don't think Arizona played their a game. The notion that they planned it that way seems pretty wrong though.

Now I'm willing to believe that the players weren't taking it as seriously as they could - but all indicators were that arians was fucking pissed at the result, that they had no intention of resting anyone (and if you were going to, why would you play your fragile qb a whole half?), and that he was going to use this as a teachable moment. The players called their effort weak and lackadaisical - not words you typically say when resting starters.

The coach can be pissed all he likes, if the players arent motivated no amount of coaching is gonna get them to give it their all. I cant imagine the players actually being inspired to give it their all.

I mean can you imagine the kind of pep-talk Arians could have given them

"Come on guys, win this game so maaaaaybe you can clinch the #1 seed, you know if Carolina chokes HARD....which is entirely out of your control"

The coach can be pissed all he likes, if the players arent motivated no amount of coaching is gonna get them to give it their all. I cant imagine the players actually being inspired to give it their all.

That might be, and there are indicators of that. But as far as the actual coaching plan? It wasn't to rest anyone and it wasn't to go out and get their ass kicked.

Eta: I did find the quote for "it was planned" - but the context isn't there. Was it planned to rest starters no matter what? To rest them if they sucked? To rest them if they weren't likely to get the 1 seed? Dunno.

That might be, and there are indicators of that. But as far as the actual coaching plan? It wasn't to rest anyone and it wasn't to go out and get their ass kicked.

Again, the coach might have an idea of what should happen, that does not mean the players are on the same page.

Again, the coach might have an idea of what should happen, that does not mean the players are on the same page.

Another oddity is that they rested Palmer but didn't rest anyone else. At all.

That seems like a very odd plan.

PLAYOFF FOOTBALL, EVERYBODY! Does anyone remember if they broke it up this way last year? With both AFC games on Saturday and both NFC games on Sunday? Seems kind of odd.

Nope, first year like this.

PLAYOFF FOOTBALL, EVERYBODY! Does anyone remember if they broke it up this way last year? With both AFC games on Saturday and both NFC games on Sunday? Seems kind of odd.

Yeah usually it's one of each on both days.

It is kind of weird, we will know the AFC match ups for the next round before an NFC team even plays.

Anybody watch the 30 for 30 special called "Four Falls of Buffalo" ? It's about the 4 super bowl losses, it's almost 2 hours long (1:41:10), seems very promising from what i have seen. 

I've watched it, and thought it was very good. Basically every 30 for 30 is great though. 

I've watched it, and thought it was very good. Basically every 30 for 30 is great though. 

They really are great, i agree. ESPN nails it out of the park with subjects i usually could not careless about, yet make me interested in it at the time i'm watching.

Archived