NFL Wild Card Round: Browns picked to finish last in AL Central in 2016.

Joe Pesci

Came here to post the news. WTF Bucs? Do they have someone lined up? With a franchise QB in place, this will be a coveted opening.

I'm seeing on Twitter that they are going to promote the OC 

Weird though. What does Koetter get them that lovie doesn't? Why fire a coach after a +4 win differential? Weird.

I heard the guy was a dark horse HC candidate.

ETA: I guess Rapsheet is reporting that the guy actually hadn't received any requests for interviews.

I would take RGIII to the Cowboys in a New York minute. It is the absolute perfect place for him to go. He needs another year or two taking snaps behind center, and he will be one of the best. Dallas is the perfect place for him to develop, and Romo and Wade Wilson are the people needed to complete his training. 

I would take RGIII to the Cowboys in a New York minute. It is the absolute perfect place for him to go. He needs another year or two taking snaps behind center, and he will be one of the best. Dallas is the perfect place for him to develop, and Romo and Wade Wilson are the people needed to complete his training. 

Wade wilson? The Cowboys have deadpool on their staff?

Couldn't they get around that by just shutting down the franchise and then opening an expansion a few years later?

I suppose you could make it a rule that a city that lost a team get first dibs on expansions, but that's not always feasible.

with or without free agency?

Free agency cannot be eliminated. Thats basic labor law, the pro sports teams can no more collude together and prohibit their employees from being free to offer their services elsewhere than grocery stores could prohibit butchers from going to work at a different store. Through collective bargaining the leagues can restrict the movement ( require a certain amount of service before elgibility for example), but they can never just eliminate F.A. As long as there is a MLB, NFL, NBA or NHL there will be F.A. in those leagues.

Free agency cannot be eliminated. Thats basic labor law, the pro sports teams can no more collude together and prohibit their employees from being free to offer their services elsewhere than grocery stores could prohibit butchers from going to work at a different store. Through collective bargaining the leagues can restrict the movement ( require a certain amount of service before elgibility for example), but they can never just eliminate F.A. As long as there is a MLB, NFL, NBA or NHL there will be F.A. in those leagues.

By that logic, the draft shouldn't be allowed either.

Does he look like the Marvel version at least?

Fucking trigger warning!

New rule for this thread: Pictures of Al Davis can only be posted behind a spoiler curtain. 

By that logic, the draft shouldn't be allowed either.

It probably shouldn't, but sports leagues get all sorts of leeway to behave anti-competitively. Players had to go to court and win major cases just to get free agency.

Agreed he's not disgraced though yeah all those other things. And, holy shit, seeing him in a Cowboys uniform would definitely bring about a pang. Like seeing an ex-girlfriend with that guy you hate the most. I don't want to root for his failure, let alone feed those troll Skins fans who hate him for some asinine reason.

Agreed.  I really hope Griffin goes anywhere outside the division so I can root for him, because I still like the guy.  I would be pretty ok with the Griffin led Jets defeating the Cousins led Redskins in 2019, because he has some legitimate grievances. 

I think that while the RG3 and Manziel comparisons are understandable (athletic Heisman winning quarterbacks from Texas who were 1st round picks and will be hitting free agency), I think it is unfair to Griffin.  Griffin has made a few PR mistakes, but he has been a professional.  He works and studies hard, he stays out of trouble and he wants to win.  Lots and lots of guys are first round picks who can't make it in the league and none of them are disgraced, they just aren't good enough.  It happens, and Griffin may one of them. 

Manziel may or may not be good enough, but it looks like it's not going to matter because he is either just an incredibly undisciplined man-child or an alcoholic.  Neither is a path to success in the NFL.

"Disgraced" was probably too strong for Griffin. The last couple things I've read about him have been pretty negative, including some unflattering comparisons made by Cory Lichtensteiger. I was also under the impression that he had not studied as much as he should, and resisted coaching, but maybe I was wrong about that? 

Certainly from an off-the-field behavior standpoint, it's unfair to compare him to Manziel.

"Disgraced" was probably too strong for Griffin. The last couple things I've read about him have been pretty negative, including some unflattering comparisons made by Cory Lichtensteiger. I was also under the impression that he had not studied as much as he should, and resisted coaching, but maybe I was wrong about that? 

Certainly from an off-the-field behavior standpoint, it's unfair to compare him to Manziel.

Griffin has always worked hard in the gym and the film room.  Maybe not as much film as Cousins, but from what I've heard, Cousins is kind of crazy in that respect.  And "resisted coaching" is mostly stuff that goes back to Shanahan era, and that relationship went south in a huge way.  I would take all of that with a helping of salt. 

The main knock on Griffin is that he didn't play in a pro style system in college, and he has struggled with it in the NFL.  He wants to learn it, but his reads just aren't fast enough, and while he's reading downfield his pocket presence isn't good, so he is taking a lot of brutal hits.  And while he is a big guy by any normal standard, 6-2, 215 is pretty small compared to the guys smashing into him.  

I absolutely think the way NFL contracts work should be illegal, it's ridiculous. If I actually think about it I feel kind of bad for watching the games and tacitly supporting the system.

I partly blame the players for this; they're the ones who keep screwing up their CBA talks with the owners. More than that though, they still could get fully guaranteed contracts (or at least, the top players could, and hopefully it would trickle down to the rest) if they negotiated harder. The first three years of Revis' contract with the Jets are fully guaranteed; and its not just a signing bonus being spread out over multiple years. The base pay itself is fully guaranteed. The 4th and 5th years are team option years, but its my understanding that if the option is picked up, the contract becomes guaranteed for that year.

Obviously Revis has more leverage than the average NFL player, but that's still a much better deal than other top players have (he didn't take a paycut either; this season he made $16 million, the next highest paid CB made $11.7 million) and it goes to show what being more mercenary and not caring if fans turn against you can accomplish.

Anyway, my wild card round predictions are:

Chiefs over Texas, Bengals over Steelers, Seahawks over Vikings, Washington over Packers

Archived