TTTNE 462 - Rebels Against the Mods

ab aeterno

55 minutes ago, rocksniffer said:

ok kahlua it is...and this round is on me :cheers:

All the better :cheers: 

4 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Just wait an hour or so, and I will add the cake with walnuts that I am currently working on!

My aunt sent me the recipe, I am trying this for the first time. Fingers crossed it works. :)

Greetings, spammers!

CAKE! Fingers crossed for the cake :) let us know how it turned out! 

1 hour ago, BB-Rhae said:

Realistic curvy Barbie has a thigh gap. Thank you for your effort. 

and I seriously think we should stop producing superhero movies. Why does nobody care about little boys' body image? 

I had enough of the Internet for today I think. Hugs, kisses and vanilla lattes to all. 

Superhero genre itself is strange isn't it ? I've seen so many people wondering how superheroes came to dominate pop culture out of nowhere, but technically it all makes sense. The majority of this audience derives from the readership, obviously, which wants to see how the adaptation turns out. But their widespread emergence is due to existence of a sizeable market that's just as much a result of generational mindset and existing political and economic environment than anything else. But these movies can frankly be seen as a purely economic phenomenon ; things get interesting once you look at the genre itself. The beauty of superhero comics is that they are inherently conservative but with progressive ideals or protagonist who represents progressive ideals. Again, when you are being printed for 75 continuous years that's bound to happen. But I can't help but smirk every time Batman goes out on the streets to save homeless kids from dangerous trafficking rackets, or when Superman receives adoration for preaching about freedom. And I'm speaking as someone who believes quite genuinely that   when seen in his entirety Batman is one of literature's best characters. He became Batman because of the system, and now goes out of his way to fight against it. In the same way, all superhero comics are essentially pedaling the same dangerous message : that we cannot save ourselves, that saviors will come to take care of us all.That we should not take care of ourselves. But then again, they are stories about a refugee saved and lovingly raised by two inherently benevolent people, who then uses his limitless power to help others. Or the billionaire who when not fixing inner city educational problems, is running clean water initiatives in Africa. Thus, the genre, while clearly based on the problematic assertions, also does provide, or at least aim to provide, aspirational  figures.

28 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Just wait an hour or so, and I will add the cake with walnuts that I am currently working on!

My aunt sent me the recipe, I am trying this for the first time. Fingers crossed it works. :)

Greetings, spammers!

mmmmmmmm...cake, mmmmmmmm.....:drool:

1 hour ago, BB-Rhae said:

All the better :cheers: 

CAKE! Fingers crossed for the cake :) let us know how it turned out! 

59 minutes ago, rocksniffer said:

mmmmmmmm...cake, mmmmmmmm.....:drool:

Well, it is not that much a cake, more like ... biscuity thing? I do not know what to call it.

Anyway, dessert update: I messed up. The cream turned out wrong (something was missing from the recipe that my aunt sent) and I have to do it over. Only, now I do not have powdered sugar anymore and valonqar has been sent to buy some more.

Annoyed.

/cooking failures

10 hours ago, Knight of Ashes said:

I might check both out when I have the chance.  BTW,  was Grievous in touch with the Force or something?  I just remember thinking it'd be stupid if he/it could be "trained in the jedi arts" if he wasn't.  I mean, I don't  see how he could have any mini-chloroform oiling up his metal joints...

I was never a fan of Grievous anyway, but he doesn't use jedi arts as in The Force, he just uses a lightsaber to fight and spins lightsabers around. A lightsaber in itself is just a sword, so I'd say a droid (or a cyborg in this case) should be able to fight with a lightsaher without too much difficulty with the right programming.

8 hours ago, Grand Moff Mithrandir said:

Yes, the battle of the heroes is much more impactful, for obvious reasons, but I prefer the choreography of the duel of the fates. It's much more aestheticaly pleasing.

On Grievous, he wasn't born a droid. The droid parts were merely supplements. Sort of like Vader. 

Also, I'm dying to see KotR brought to the big screen. I'd much rather have that than Rogue Ones or a continuation of the Skywalker family saga.

But then again I'm just obsessed with all things Sith.

I enjoy the choreography, yeah, that's true. I don't see Disney bringing any KotoR stuff to the screen, but I think that's a good thing. If they ever do, they'll drop the existing stuff and write their own. Right now, more and more of KotoR seems to be influencing the canon.

7 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

My favourite battle is from the Force Awakens

Hidden Content

This is my second favourite, I considered it for first, but it's a bit short.

4 hours ago, BB-Rhae said:

Realistic curvy Barbie has a thigh gap. Thank you for your effort.

To be fair, they are constrained by the physical limitations of a plastic toy at a small scale; there needs to be a gap so she can wear pants. I think it's a positive development.

14 hours ago, Grand Moff Mithrandir said:

Say what you will about the prequels but, the 3 way duel between Qui-Gon, Darth Maul & Obi-Wan is still the greatest fight sequence in all of Star Wars. 

My God, with Duel of the Fates blaring in the background. Pure poetry.

I don't consider it the best, but Duel of the Fates is

12 hours ago, ab aeterno said:

That battle in particular is quite strongly hated by a fairly significant segment of the fanbase. I personally don't agree, but I don't consider it the best one either. Personally I'd take the Battle of the Heroes from RotS over it; it's more impactful and emotional.

Same. As over-the-top as it is, it's much more emotional than the other prequel duels.

I think we can all agree that Yoda vs. Dooku is the worst duel in the series.

9 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

My favourite battle is from the Force Awakens

Hidden Content

They found a balance between the choreography-heavy duels from the prequels and the more emotion-oriented duels from the OT. Not sure if it's my favorite but it's a contender.

4 hours ago, The King In Black said:

Superhero genre itself is strange isn't it ? I've seen so many people wondering how superheroes came to dominate pop culture out of nowhere, but technically it all makes sense. The majority of this audience derives from the readership, obviously, which wants to see how the adaptation turns out. But their widespread emergence is due to existence of a sizeable market that's just as much a result of generational mindset and existing political and economic environment than anything else. But these movies can frankly be seen as a purely economic phenomenon ; things get interesting once you look at the genre itself. The beauty of superhero comics is that they are inherently conservative but with progressive ideals or protagonist who represents progressive ideals. Again, when you are being printed for 75 continuous years that's bound to happen. But I can't help but smirk every time Batman goes out on the streets to save homeless kids from dangerous trafficking rackets, or when Superman receives adoration for preaching about freedom. And I'm speaking as someone who believes quite genuinely that   when seen in his entirety Batman is one of literature's best characters. He became Batman because of the system, and now goes out of his way to fight against it. In the same way, all superhero comics are essentially pedaling the same dangerous message : that we cannot save ourselves, that saviors will come to take care of us all.That we should not take care of ourselves. But then again, they are stories about a refugee saved and lovingly raised by two inherently benevolent people, who then uses his limitless power to help others. Or the billionaire who when not fixing inner city educational problems, is running clean water initiatives in Africa. Thus, the genre, while clearly based on the problematic assertions, also does provide, or at least aim to provide, aspirational  figures.

I never got that into superhero movies or comics. But the idea in general comes down to me as a sort of modern folk tale (folk tale? Do you even say that? Not really. never mind), it's about a hero of the common people. A savior they await, not because people cannot save themselves but because they will always be expecting and desiring to be saved. That's why these characters are born. And they are frail and imperfect as human beings in spite of their super powers that raise them above the common people to show that nobody is ever perfect or without problems to deal with. 

3 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Well, it is not that much a cake, more like ... biscuity thing? I do not know what to call it.

Anyway, dessert update: I messed up. The cream turned out wrong (something was missing from the recipe that my aunt sent) and I have to do it over. Only, now I do not have powdered sugar anymore and valonqar has been sent to buy some more.

Annoyed.

/cooking failures

Oooooh I'm sorry to hear. But it will sure work out the second time! :commie: 

2 hours ago, felice said:

To be fair, they are constrained by the physical limitations of a plastic toy at a small scale; there needs to be a gap so she can wear pants. I think it's a positive development.

In all honesty I was never for a single second bothered by the original Barbie, but if this makes people happy, who am I to deem it pointless? 

In other news. I found the perfect Hobbit soundtrack mix, got a 64GB pendrive to relieve my laptop's memory capacity of tv shows, fell in love with brown lipstick shades, cut my finger while nail filing and did zero work. :cheers: to productivity. 

3 hours ago, rocksniffer said:

scone perhaps....

though a cake by any other name will taste just as good

Nah, not a scone, it needs to be cut in parts, it is not like small pieces like scones.

Anyway, it is in the fridge now. I have not tried it yet.

4 minutes ago, BB-Rhae said:

I never got that into superhero movies or comics. But the idea in general comes down to me as a sort of modern folk tale (folk tale? Do you even say that? Not really. never mind), it's about a hero of the common people. A savior they await, not because people cannot save themselves but because they will always be expecting and desiring to be saved. That's why these characters are born. And they are frail and imperfect as human beings in spite of their super powers that raise them above the common people to show that nobody is ever perfect or without problems to deal with. 

All except the DC Comics heroes - looking at you, Superman.

1 hour ago, First of My Name said:

I think we can all agree that Yoda vs. Dooku is the worst duel in the series.

I think we know which is the best too, yes, flee for your life through the air conditioning vents my little green friend.

On 1/29/2016 at 2:30 PM, Buckwheat said:

Yes, thank you, E. :)

Today is a good day. Three very real reasons:

1. Bucky has taught her first lesson. The world did not end.
  2. Bucky has received an email implying that her translations just might get published in a respected magazine. Nothing is confirmed, of course, but at least there is consideration, apparently.
  3. Bucky has received another email saying that she is very likely going to start a both interesting and useful internship in autumn.

Happy Friday evening! :commie: Music! Lets dance!

Congrats Buckie!

:cheers:

3 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

Do you ever forget how great thing is, then rediscover it, and it's just as good as the first time? Basically what I'm getting at is that ABBA are brilliant.

Of Course ABBA are.  Perfect for dancing in fact.

Hello spamlets!   :kiss: 

Term is back in session.  I'm still at work and it's after nine o clock at night.   Sigh.  I have one episode left of The Wire.  ONE.  I want to go home to my frozen pizza and ice cream and finish it!

(Hurry up students!)  Aren't they hungry?   SHEESH!!!!

I was on a party where they played a lot of ABBA songs in a row, but the DJ had the nerve not to play Dancing Queen. We were not amused. Then they started with some silly electronic music which you could not dance to.

14 hours ago, ab aeterno said:

All except the DC Comics heroes - looking at you, Superman.

Oh well, superman is another story. 

4 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I was on a party where they played a lot of ABBA songs in a row, but the DJ had the nerve not to play Dancing Queen. We were not amused. Then they started with some silly electronic music which you could not dance to.

That happens all the time at parties. So bloody annoying. 

Btw, I would like to report back that I really liked the first episode of Vikings. Thanks to all aiding my show selection process. 

God, I'm ridiculously pathetic :rofl: 

so I moved camp to a cafe, in hope that I can actually concentrate on work here. The result is me sitting over a coffee and a slice of cake with an open notebook beside me listening to Hobbit soundtrack and fantasizing about what kind of bag I want to buy that holds my laptop and how much the coffee cup rubbed off my lipstick. For the credit, the coffee is disgusting, I want a dark brown tote bag that matches my new boots and my favorite track is Sons of Durin. Oh what I'm writing my thesis about? Come on, you surely don't think I'm thinking about such marginal matters... I'm mature as F. 

Archived