Favorite "Small characters" in GoT and actors/actresses? (NO MAIN CAST)

OIL, BLOOD, Water

You say that the main cast isn't underrated but I would disagree when it comes to Alfie Allen for example, he's vastly underrated! I think he's one of the best actors in that show and yet he gets no recognition whatsoever. While emilia is bombarded with praise for her acting that frankly sucks in comparison to most cast members. She's lovely and all, I really like her as a person and her acting probably also looks worse cause she's surrounded by amazing actors but still....I really don't understand and I feel like people just go "khaleesi!!! wooooo!" and don't even think about it.

That stated... when it comes to supporting characters: Harry Lloyd was amazing as Viserys, Eugene Simon does a great job as Lancel, Rose Leslie as Ygritte, Jack Gleeson as Joffrey.... i'm sure there's a ton more, i mean, as the OP said, this show is absolutly filled with great actors!

I love Mace Tyrell, the actor nails the part. 

He may not be classed as a 'small character' but I think Tormund Giantsbane is fantastic as well. He brings alive the tough, bad ass who is actually quite funny as well. 

GreatJon Umber, Maester Luwin and Rodrick and Jory Cassel I loved as well. Even though I knew Luwin's death was coming I still found it incredibly sad and this is testament to the actor. Also loved Rodrick's death, fantastic acting from the Stark boys and just emotional all round. 

Oh and finally Osha! Natalia Tena was fantastic. The look she gave Rickon when he started to bad mouth the wildlings in series 3 was hilarious. 

Lots have already been mentioned but I don't think these have:

Meryn Trant - Ian Beattie (So creepy, even before the brothel scenes! Glad he got his comeuppance)

Lysa Arran - Kate Dickie (her switches between friendly to crazy and back again were perfect)

2 hours ago, INCBlackbird said:

You say that the main cast isn't underrated but I would disagree when it comes to Alfie Allen for example, he's vastly underrated! I think he's one of the best actors in that show and yet he gets no recognition whatsoever. While emilia is bombarded with praise for her acting that frankly sucks in comparison to most cast members. She's lovely and all, I really like her as a person and her acting probably also looks worse cause she's surrounded by amazing actors but still....I really don't understand and I feel like people just go "khaleesi!!! wooooo!" and don't even think about it.

That stated... when it comes to supporting characters: Harry Lloyd was amazing as Viserys, Eugene Simon does a great job as Lancel, Rose Leslie as Ygritte, Jack Gleeson as Joffrey.... i'm sure there's a ton more, i mean, as the OP said, this show is absolutly filled with great actors!

AGreee!

2 hours ago, INCBlackbird said:

Totally agree!

I'm a big fan of the bloke that played Beric Dondarrion, he was perfect. Also Mackenzie Crook as Orell, and the kid who plays Robert Arryn. Love Jonothan Price as the High Sparrow as well of course, there are half a dozen roles in thrones he could have played perfectly.

I don't know if he's minor enough to count, but Maester Aemon. Such a sweet old man when you first look at him, but he's hiding a sharp and clever wit underneath his smile. I love his backstory, and how fatherly he is to both Jon and Sam, and that he doesn't take crap from Aliser Thorne. I'm so glad they kept the "I dreamt I was old" scene from the books, it was one of the best in the entire series. We shall never see his like again.

It's one of the best things about the show - the minor characters are cast and perform as well as the major ones.

It's already been said but Jamie Sives as Jory Cassel was very good - one of my favourite minor characters from the books and brought to screen perfectly.  Liked the scene with Jamie when they reminisced about the Greyjoy rebellion.

I agree that Hannah Murray does a great job with Gilly - she does this wonderful sceptical look at Sam a couple of times that cracks me up.

Ben Crompton as Dolorous Edd - I didn't really get Edd in the books.   I love him in the show thanks to Crompton.

Mark Stanley as Grenn - sweet farm boy turned hero. He was terrific in the battle at Castle Black.

Joseph Mawle as Benjen.  Has the charisma to make sure we still remember Benjen 5 years on.

I actually could go on and on because there are so many.

• 1 year later...
On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 11:06 PM, Mistress of Lemon Cakes said:

Ben Crompton is fantastic as Dolorous Edd.

I really liked the female wildling who should have been Val but whatever from Hardhome.

Spot on!  I liked Bridgette Hojort Sorensen as Karsi as well, this episode came out right after Pitch Perfect 2 so I definitely had a mini-crush on the actress right then.  But damn, if she was Val that would have been fantastic.  Especially if they, you know, kept her alive.

Mostly agree with all of the other posts.  Ian McShane's one episode was great as Septon Al Swearengen.  I'm a huge fan of Natalie Tena as Osha and also Michael McElhatton as Roose Bolton.  The question is more about which actors weren't good, because they were all pretty great.  The biggest disappointment may have been what Ellaria Sand became on tv.  Indira Varma would have been better as book-Ellaria then she is as show-Ellaria IMO.  She was great in "Rome."

The two who stood out for me - one who I hardly noticed in the books, the other who wasn't in the books at all - were Luwin (Donald Sumpter) and Locke (Noah Taylor). I was annoyed that Locke was killed off so suddenly and anticlimactically, hoping that he'd have a further role to play in the Night's Watch.

I agree that Indira Varma was awful as Ellaria (Faullaria) in seasons 5 and 6. Which is ironic given that D&D repeatedly stated that they changed Ellaria's character because they loved Indira Varma and wanted to showcase her talents. She was fine in season 4 when she was actually playing her book character instead of someone who, along with her daughters, confuses losing a trial by combat with murder, enjoys torturing and killing little girls and believes in avenging her lover's family by murdering the rest of his family.

On 22.4.2016 at 5:45 PM, INCBlackbird said:

:agree:

On 28.6.2017 at 10:17 PM, Lucius Lovejoy said:

Spot on!  I liked Bridgette Hojort Sorensen as Karsi as well, this episode came out right after Pitch Perfect 2 so I definitely had a mini-crush on the actress right then.  But damn, if she was Val that would have been fantastic.  Especially if they, you know, kept her alive.

Mostly agree with all of the other posts.  Ian McShane's one episode was great as Septon Al Swearengen.  I'm a huge fan of Natalie Tena as Osha and also Michael McElhatton as Roose Bolton.  The question is more about which actors weren't good, because they were all pretty great.  The biggest disappointment may have been what Ellaria Sand became on tv.  Indira Varma would have been better as book-Ellaria then she is as show-Ellaria IMO.  She was great in "Rome."

Agree with this as well. If you liked Bridgette Hojort Sorensen I can recommend you the Danish TV-show Borgen where she has a major role. There should an English translation as well. It's a pretty good show and it also features Pilou Asbaek (Euron).He does a much better job there than on GoT.

Other actors in small roles whom I liked:

Donald Sumpter who played Maester Luwin. He nailed that role for me.

Kerry Ingram. She was wonderfull as Sheireen.

Emse Bianco. Not a big fan of most invented characters, but she really made me care about Ross

Elizabeth Walder who played Walda Frey/ Bolton. She really sold the innocence and naivite of the character. 

On 3/26/2016 at 7:28 AM, kissdbyfire said:

Rodrick Cassell and Maester Luwin, both actors spot on.

Great stuff, I agree completely with both.  I like Old Nan a lot, too, especially when she tells Bran scary stories.

By the way, I love that quote you've got.  Is that from something (a show or book), or did you make it up?  (if It's from ASOIAF, i'll be pretty embarrassed for not recognizing it.)

Archived