Logan-First R Rated Wolverine Movie?

Manhole Eunuchsbane

1 hour ago, Gronzag said:

It looks like we are getting yet another empty, tepid, "I'm old and tired of all this shit" superhero sequel. Oh, but this one has a violent, aggressive, murderous little girl, with the exact same powers (even if it doesn't make any sense) as popular established male superhero whom she will replace. That automatically makes the movie "good".

Have there really been a lot of superhero sequels where the protagonist is all "old and tired of this shit?" I'm struggling to think of any.

Anyway I don't think anyone here thinks the movie is good. We haven't seen it yet. We just hope it's good. It's a lot easier to make an entertaining trailer than a good movie though. 

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Have there really been a lot of superhero sequels where the protagonist is all "old and tired of this shit?" I'm struggling to think of any.

The Dark Knight Rises is the only one I can think of off the top of my head, though Iron Man 3 had elements of the idea.

3 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

Well they did, he was in the post credits scene of Last Stand. Earlier in the film he mentions a hypothetical situation of transplanting a mind into a braindead body. He does it to himself. It is of course total nonsense, relies on an identical twin, and doesn't explain why this body can't walk, but is an explanation.

And now that I've defended even the slightest part of Last Stand I need to go bathe in Clorox.

I always thought that was a different person his mind woke up in (a different actor). I maybe need to watch the scene (but not the whole film) again.

28 minutes ago, red snow said:

I always thought that was a different person his mind woke up in (a different actor). I maybe need to watch the scene (but not the whole film) again.

I don't think you ever see his face, but I can't think of any other reason for that person to be on Muir Island, literally any other hospital would do.

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

Anyway I don't think anyone here thinks the movie is good. We haven't seen it yet. We just hope it's good. It's a lot easier to make an entertaining trailer than a good movie though. 

Yeah, I had the same reaction to that post. It's kind of a tired trope in action movies, but I can't think of an example of a specific Superhero flick that uses that theme. Maybe Iron Man 3, I suppose.

Anyway, this looks promising. I really could give a fuck about the timeline, just so long as the film is good. It's not like it necessarily needs to fit into the existing puzzle neatly.  

37 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, I had the same reaction to that post. It's kind of a tired trope in action movies, but I can't think of an example of a specific Superhero flick that uses that theme. Maybe Iron Man 3, I suppose.

Anyway, this looks promising. I really could give a fuck about the timeline, just so long as the film is good. It's not like it necessarily needs to fit into the existing puzzle neatly.  

I admittedly have yet to watch BvS... is that kinda what Bats is like in there?

I might also go with The Dark Knight Rises as something that does fill the trope.  That being said, I don't think its as common as the post would imply.

3 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I admittedly have yet to watch BvS... is that kinda what Bats is like in there?

At least a bit. He's an older Batman who is less convinced his method is working, and has become more brutal as a result. But there is still the drive, resolve and need to go out and help that defines Batman. He's anything but shying away from the fight.

Affleck is a great Batman btw, the best thing in that film by a country mile.

8 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

On another topic it bothers me that Laura appears to have been coated in adamantium already, she's still a tiny girl, if her skeleton is coated in an indestructible metal she can't grow anymore. Even if they only did it to her claws, they can't grow either.

That's entirely too much science for these movies. Entirely too much. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/18/2017 at 3:26 AM, Leap said:

So, now that it's finally released it looks like it's getting really good reviews - thank fuck for that! Currently at 96% on Rotten Tomatoes (average 8.2), which is pretty good going. 

I've just watched the Stuckmann review (which was largely very positive) and I think I'll avoid other reviews now, having heard that some include spoilers without warning. 

Yeah, there's a spate of really promising reviews up. Will try to catch this on Sunday.

http://deadline.com/2017/02/logan-review-hugh-jackman-wolverine-marvel-video-1201928946/

So I watched this last night with a friend who hadn't seen ANY X-Men movies and wasn't even aware of who Wolverine was. This was possibly a mistake by me taking him but I really wanted to see it.

Overall I think is a great movie, clearly one of the best comic book movies made so far, and such a fitting send off for a character like Wolverine. This is the first time they've really managed to do justice to the character and truly tapped into what is driving him. Although the last Wolverine movie was good, it was hampered by its cartoony ending and Silver Samurai fight, which kind of undid much of the promise. I read that Mangold acknowledged that recently and said that the studio forced him into putting the ending in to that previous movie. 

But this movie he was given a free reign and it really works. There is something very beautiful about the relationship between Logan and Prof X, him being his carer. There is something beautiful about his relationship with the girl as well.. in fact I even really enjoyed his relationship with Caliban. 

It wasn't perfect, maybe a little overlong and some of the last hour is a bit clunky, but its by far the best movie involving the X-Men. Makes me want to go and slap the makers of Apocalypse in the face.

will be watching this on Monday (I have an interview exam over the course of the weekend) but promising to hear Jonsnow likes it. I really think Jackman deserves a good film before he leaves the franchise. It's kind of a shame that Fox may finally be getting their shit together by letting the X-franchise be creator driven (seems to be working for Legion as well).

I wish Mangold had a director's cut with his vision for the end of "the wolverine" although it sounds like the silly samurai was in the script prior to filming.

It'd be nice and slightly odd if Fox becomes the studio that has the most range with their superheroes. Fant4stic was a mis-step that maybe benefitted everyone as I think that's where they realised studio interference can wreck a film. Apocalypse may have been a case of Singer being too settled into the format as I'd think he'd have enough clout to do what he wants. The test will be in seeing how non r-rated movies work eg New mutants as they can't make all of the films r-rated and violent. Although at this point I can see how X-force might be becoming a priority for them. Deadpool, X-23, Cable and maybe a new actor as Wolverine seems a nice line-up for a violent superhero action film.

1 minute ago, red snow said:

It'd be nice and slightly odd if Fox becomes the studio that has the most range with their superheroes. Fant4stic was a mis-step that maybe benefitted everyone as I think that's where they realised studio interference can wreck a film. Apocalypse may have been a case of Singer being too settled into the format as I'd think he'd have enough clout to do what he wants. The test will be in seeing how non r-rated movies work eg New mutants as they can't make all of the films r-rated and violent. Although at this point I can see how X-force might be becoming a priority for them. Deadpool, X-23, Cable and maybe a new actor as Wolverine seems a nice line-up for a violent superhero action film.

Honestly, I just hope Fox failing to make a good Fantastic Four movie yet again means the rights revert to Marvel so we can get fucking Doctor Doom as the big bad in an Avengers movie.  I think we all deserve that.

Fantastic four definitely needs to go to Marvel just for all the aliens side characters that come with the property.

I am glad X-Men is at Fox, DisneyMarvel would never have done Deadpool, and never done Logan. They have their failings, but the diversity of style is important for the genre.

1 minute ago, The BlackBear said:

Fantastic four definitely needs to go to Marvel just for all the aliens side characters that come with the property.

I am glad X-Men is at Fox, DisneyMarvel would never have done Deadpool, and never done Logan. They have their failings, but the diversity of style is important for the genre.

Yeah, Fox did a great job with Deadpool, and while I haven't seen Logan yet reviews are painting it as really good too.  What I wish would happen is for Fox and Marvel to strike a deal where Fox can keep making X-Men movies but Marvel can use the X-Men in their films as well.  That would be fun.

30 minutes ago, briantw said:

Honestly, I just hope Fox failing to make a good Fantastic Four movie yet again means the rights revert to Marvel so we can get fucking Doctor Doom as the big bad in an Avengers movie.  I think we all deserve that.

I wonder if it's a separate deal for FF to the X-men? Hopefully they aren't tied together as I can see Fox being happy to jettison FF but not at the loss of X-men. They used to have Daredevil so I suspect such deals are separable.

11 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

It would be useful to know which aliens and side characters from the FF came with the deal and which ones didn't. The inhumans and Black Panther clearly weren't part of it but maybe any characters that got their own series later were separate deals. There are plenty of aliens that i thought were from FF that appeared in GOTG but perhaps I'm wrong there? Certainly it seems that Galactus, Silver Surfer and the Skrulls are off-limits but it could be up in the air for the others.

I'm still hoping GOTG vol2 makes Fox sit up and think "hey, we have the Starjammers, the Shiar, Silver Surfer and Galactus. Shouldn't we do a cosmic movie?" Much like GOTG it should free them up to do what the hell they want as their other franchises should be insulated.

From what I've heard though it seems like Logan is almost in a bubble world in the sense it does relate to the X-movies but at the same time isn't plannning on chaining the X-films to this future continuity. I'm ok with that too if it allows them to explore ideas more fully.

8 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

Yeah I agree, although it pains me to say it because part of me hates what they have done to so many of the marvel movies, their direct interference has clearly ruined many of what could have been excellent movies.

The Wolverine could have been as good as Logan had they not got involved. First Class could have been a brilliant Xmen movie if they'd stuck to the original plan to make it Magneto: Origins and not the odd hodgepodge it became. I even think Fantastic 4 could have been a really interesting movie had the original vision been stuck to. 

There is clearly a lot of conflict within the company, with those who have a genuine urge to go out and make different, interesting movies, and the money men who are desperate to not take risks and want to create a steady cash flow. 

Just now, red snow said:

I wonder if it's a separate deal for FF to the X-men? Hopefully they aren't tied together as I can see Fox being happy to jettison FF but not at the loss of X-men. They used to have Daredevil so I suspect such deals are separable.

Pretty sure the two properties are separate.  I suspect that Fantastic Four will make its way back to Marvel now that Fox has yet again failed miserably with the franchise.  And I also think Marvel would actually be able to make a good Fantastic Four movie, so that's good news for everyone.  Having Doom as a potential villain for the rest of the universe is what I think would be most beneficial though.  He's basically Marvel's number one villain.

Just now, briantw said:

Pretty sure the two properties are separate.  I suspect that Fantastic Four will make its way back to Marvel now that Fox has yet again failed miserably with the franchise.  And I also think Marvel would actually be able to make a good Fantastic Four movie, so that's good news for everyone.  Having Doom as a potential villain for the rest of the universe is what I think would be most beneficial though.  He's basically Marvel's number one villain.

I'm of the opinion that FF are a pretty lame bunch of superheroes and its very difficult to do them well,which is why they keep going down different paths each time. I actually in some ways like the hyper campy appeal of the earlier fox FF movies, I just wish they had doubled down on that instead.

Archived