(Spoilers) FX The Americans v.3

Mark Antony

I am now extremely worried for Oleg.  Even a powerful father might not protect him if this betrayal is discovered.  I have visions of a triumphant Stan coming home and telling his son they caught a spy because a contact he has in the Russian embassy gave a hand, and his son letting that slip to Paige.  I have been thinking her reporting back to her mom and dad has been introduced for a reason...

4 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I am now extremely worried for Oleg.  Even a powerful father might not protect him if this betrayal is discovered.  I have visions of a triumphant Stan coming home and telling his son they caught a spy because a contact he has in the Russian embassy gave a hand, and his son letting that slip to Paige.  I have been thinking her reporting back to her mom and dad has been introduced for a reason...

That scenario would be interesting in that it would ultimately lead Stan to Paige and co. It's probably why Phil and Elizabeth don't want Paige working Matthew. On top of the reasons they gave - there's never just one thing going on in any conversation on this show.

9 hours ago, dooog said:

Looking forward to next week it's nicely set up.

Paige is fast becoming one of the most annoying characters currently on tv

It's frustrating the amount of trouble she causes everyone but I kind of think it rings true of the behaviour of a teenage kid placed in that situation. It's pretty messed up and I'm surprised she hasn't fallen apart even more. Part of me thinks that the KGB, if not her parents, would have stepped in at this stage as she's too much of a loose cannon.

Why would they want one over the other?  It's been pretty clear that they are seeking to recruit all of the children of Directorate S agents, so there's no reason to think that Henry somehow has more value than Paige, at least right now, and especially when only one of them have received specialized training.  

3 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Why would they want one over the other?  It's been pretty clear that they are seeking to recruit all of the children of Directorate S agents, so there's no reason to think that Henry somehow has more value than Paige, at least right now, and especially when only one of them have received specialized training.  

Well they saw how the one kid flipped out and killed his family after they didn't take kindly to him being recruited.  And Philip and Elizabeth weren't thrilled that the Center expressed interest in Paige. And I wouldn't agree Paige has any specialized training.  

4 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I often wonder if the KGB really wants Henry and them wanting Paige was just a ruse to throw Philip and Elizabeth off the scent. 

Henry would certainly be more malleable although I think he'd make a better placement than multitasking spy.

14 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Well they saw how the one kid flipped out and killed his family after they didn't take kindly to him being recruited.  And Philip and Elizabeth weren't thrilled that the Center expressed interest in Paige. And I wouldn't agree Paige has any specialized training.  

That's why they've allowed the Jennings to go a different route with Paige than they went with the other kid.  It would be weird for them to do with Henry what failed with the other kid.  The irony is that if the Center hadn't been in such a hurry to start grooming the children of the spies, Henry probably would have been a better asset since he doesn't question things.  

It seems pretty clear that Paige has been learning spycraft.  I'm not sure how one could disagree with that. They spent more than 7 months teaching her how to work a target.  Of her own accord, she's now used what she was forced to learn to start working her own target and then reporting it back to her 'handlers'.  

17 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

That's why they've allowed the Jennings to go a different route with Paige than they went with the other kid.  It would be weird for them to do with Henry what failed with the other kid.  The irony is that if the Center hadn't been in such a hurry to start grooming the children of the spies, Henry probably would have been a better asset since he doesn't question things.  

It seems pretty clear that Paige has been learning spycraft.  I'm not sure how one could disagree with that. They spent more than 7 months teaching her how to work a target.  Of her own accord, she's now used what she was forced to learn to start working her own target and then reporting it back to her 'handlers'.  

I'm disagreeing with you calling it specialized. She was learning the basics from them, the training Philip and Elizabeth has is specialized. 

1 minute ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I'm disagreeing with you calling it specialized. She was learning the basics from them, the training Philip and Elizabeth has is specialized. 

I was comparing it with what Henry has, which is nothing.  I guess if it helps you, you can remove 'specialized' and just call it specific training. 

I found the finale a little underwhelming although I appreciate a show not making the finale the whole point of the season. The introduction of Phillip's russian son (and one that's anti-russian) will hopefully be interesting next season. Although surely a russian turning up at Phillip's house will have Stan and the CIA on high alert? The changing of the guard at the rezendentura could also change the tone. I'm guessing we haven't seen the last of Oleg?

A great season overall. They took some brave, yet necessary steps this season by closing the long running stories of Martha and Nina. Nina had run her course a while ago but the Martha story was still running strong so pleased they closed it before it became tiresome. I think they did a great job with Elizabeth this season - we got to see she also has cracks.

Paige was an improvement and while I could live without the storyline (Pastor Tim still stretches credibility for me in terms of him not ratting them out and the KGB not killing him) I have endured far worse teen characters in shows eg 24 and Homeland.

The finale just felt like season 5's premier is all.

Not the best episode of the season or anything but a solid finale that sets up next season well. Have to think those last words that William said to Stan and Aderholt will come back into play in a major faishon. 

Yeah I'm definitely intrigued to see where they go with Mischa. 

28 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Not the best episode of the season or anything but a solid finale that sets up next season well. Have to think those last words that William said to Stan and Aderholt will come back into play in a major faishon. 

Yeah I'm definitely intrigued to see where they go with Mischa. 

I'm pleased it wasn't just a case of Stan going "it must be my neighbours" though as "happy couple with two kids" isn't narrowing it down too much. Aderholt has seen Elizabeth, right? Didn't she beat him up once?

48 minutes ago, red snow said:

I'm pleased it wasn't just a case of Stan going "it must be my neighbours" though as "happy couple with two kids" isn't narrowing it down too much.

Ever since the most uncomfortable dinner party EVAR!!1! I've been nursing a theory that Stan is going to suspect that Tim and Alice are KGB plants working Paige (and/or the Jennings') for intel that she gleans from Stan's son (forget his name).  Bummer they only have one kid, though.  

Still, if Stan ever connects anything he mentions to his son with some action by the Russians, I can see Tim and Alice getting some serious scrutiny.  And poor Paige if she ever has to decide who to throw under the bus.  

And I can see Stan dismissing a lot of glaring clues about the Jennings' identity simply because they were already living there when he and his family moved into the neighborhood.  I mean, what are the odds? 

3 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Haha yeah she did beat him and Gaad up in the season 3 premiere. She was in disguise though. 

I like how the show mounts up all these little things. I think that's how they'll ultimately be caught out (if they ever are) by a co-incidence of people with little bits of info converging at one point.

1 hour ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Pretty good episode. William's ending was so sad- he died as he lived, completely alone (and with his organs liquefied). Mischa coming to find dad should be pretty interesting, as it is their situation now. I also wonder if we'll see Arkady and Oleg again and in what capacity.

I was impressed at William infecting himself given he knew exactly how bad an end it would mean for him. He did a good job of not betraying anyone until his slip up at the end of life.

It just dawned on me that Arkady and Oleg may wind up in the same place rather than just "russia". I've a feeling their story will continue. Not sure if it will link in with Martha or maybe some wider story. I could see Oleg being part of a movement that leads to the fall of Soviet Russia from within. I definintely think there're more possibilities than there were with Nina given their positions.

11 hours ago, red snow said:

A great season overall. They took some brave, yet necessary steps this season by closing the long running stories of Martha and Nina. Nina had run her course a while ago but the Martha story was still running strong so pleased they closed it before it became tiresome. I think they did a great job with Elizabeth this season - we got to see she also has cracks.

Paige was an improvement and while I could live without the storyline (Pastor Tim still stretches credibility for me in terms of him not ratting them out and the KGB not killing him) I have endured far worse teen characters in shows eg 24 and Homeland.

The finale just felt like season 5's premier is all.

Agreed.... this was a terrific season... the way they moved Elizabeth's character forward --more human-- was really smart.

Agreed about Paige as well.... How would any teenaged girl act in this situation?.... I think she's being written and performed fairly well.... She's only annoying because all teenagers are kind of annoying.... but she's certainly no Homeland Dana...

The Mischa introduction and awkward teenage fondling subplot certainly felt like the S5 premiere... but Will's demise was definitely finale material...

Thought it was a slightly disappointing finale. All in all the season was alright, but honestly, i'd say it was the weakest one, to date. I rate this show highly and expected a lot more but it all felt a little stale, it would have benefited enormously from some fresh blood, not just a couple of new small fry.

Archived