Daredevil series 2: spoiler thread

mormont

Seen the first two. Not as great out the block as the first season. The criminals and cops seem really cartoon-like. I'm not sure if that's true of everyone (and the main cast elevate the dialogue) or if the writers treat side characters as an afterthought. Certainly a lot more clunky than in JJ or season 1 I feel.

The Punisher is great although the first episode teases him in one of the most pointless ways I've seen. Waste of time making us think he might actually be a kill-squad.

I'm wondering if the season may contain mini-arcs (which was sort of true of season 1) as there's no mention of the Hand and Elektra yet. It may be they spend half a season dealing with each?

Having Daredevil with sporadic healing loss is an interesting angle and provides an excuse for him not being over powerful.

3 episodes in.  The main players are still great.  Cox, Hensen, Woll.  Rosario Dawson, as always, is wonderful in her brief appearance.  Jon Bernthal is spot on as The Punisher, and the rooftop conversation between Matt and Frank was electric.

I've got to agree with the above poster about the cardboard villains.  The Irish gang and the Biker gang are pretty much bullet magnets.  Tony Curran (I think) showed up at the end of ep 3, so maybe he can add some charisma to that end of the spectrum.

40 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Saw the first episode. Man that was brilliant. I didn't have a problem with the way Punisher wasn't brought in - the point wasn't to make us think it's a kill-squad, it's that he's so badass that they think it must be an army.

Yeah exactly. I don't think at any point we were supposed to think that.

Just finished the third episode. I could echo what others have said about the first two episodes, re: shallow villains. It's true. So far, anyway. I'm hopeful that this aspect will get better, but, the bad guys aren't really the bad guys. I mean, they are, in my opinion however they're only there to serve as a backdrop to better contrast the difference between Murdock and Castle. Which isn't new territory-- maybe it's the medium that makes it seem fresh to me, or the performances. Not sure. 

Speaking of, the performances so far are good. And Rosario reminds yet again why I've had a quiet crush on her since Clerks ll. I'd probably be crippled if I had to choose between her and Maggie Siff.     

4 hours ago, lessthanluke said:

Yeah exactly. I don't think at any point we were supposed to think that.

Yeah, unless you've somehow not read anything about the season and missed the trailer, it's not exactly a secret that the first episode massacre is the Punisher's work.

After three episodes, I want to note something that's a little bit overshadowed by the flash of the conflict between Punisher and DD, but which is worth talking about: Karen and Foggy are awesome. Both are, in their non-superhero ways, being given the chance to be just as badass and ballsy as Matt. If not moreso.

After two episodes, I have to say that it is excellent. Second seasons are always problematic because they talk about possible longevity of the show's premise, but based on the first two episodes, it was a solid run. DD getting beaten never grows old, but I do have to say that this season looks more dynamic than the last one... IIRC, the rhythm is much faster than in Season 1. 

Fisk's shoes are tough to fill, but I feel like with the Punisher we got satisfactory villain in some other ways. 

3 hours ago, polishgenius said:

After three episodes, I want to note something that's a little bit overshadowed by the flash of the conflict between Punisher and DD, but which is worth talking about: Karen and Foggy are awesome. Both are, in their non-superhero ways, being given the chance to be just as badass and ballsy as Matt. If not moreso.

Yeah, I have to say Foggy and Karen are amazing... Generally, the cast is doing splendid work. And that is always a treat. Also, I have to say that I like how they are doing things that are more independent to their superhero than, in comparison, casts in other superhero shows. I feel sometimes that supporting cast in this genre exists solely for the purpose of being at the service of main guy.

8 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

I'm on episode 5. John Bernthal was born to play The Punisher.

Not that I necessarily agree with his methods, but I always wonder why even in the comics everyone always considers The Punisher "insane." In a world where villains break out of prison and kill new people every week, I'm surprised more heroes don't just start killing. I mean even in the MCU, what makes what he's doing so different than what Iron Man did in his first movie?

I agree in the comics it's a bit ridiculous.  It makes more sense in the context of the show's universe, though, since they haven't really seen anyone quite like the Punisher yet.  The villains who've committed mass carnage are otherworldly entities like Loki (a god from another dimension) and Ultron (a psychopathic AI robot), whereas the Punisher is just a relatively normal guy who snapped.

Archived