Soccer Talk: Now With More!

MercenaryChef

Another poor showing by dc united last night. I feel a long season of defeats and general disappointment. 

Last night's officiating highlighted the poor quality of our domestic referees. There was a clear penalty ignored only to be made up for with a call for one when there wasn't.  Moments later a straight red after a pretty standard challenge. 

This could be a rough year as a fan, Newcastle look to be relegated, dc is shit, usmnt are bad. 

I may become a barca fan just to feel what winning is like.

If fate has dealt you shit teams, you stick to the shit teams and curse someone or something. This Barca talk from you feels like heresy.

For me, on the plus side, I don't think Everton will be relegated. This season.

It is the bad times that make the good ones meaningful. If you are successful all the time then winning becomes an expectation instead of a bonus - the minimum necessary for a match to be enjoyable. Look at all the Man United fans who cannot stand a year outside the Champions League. I couldn't support a club like that, personally.

31 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Somehow I don't believe you.

Believe what you want.

It is a completely academic question - short of a Man City style level of foreign investment we will never be a big club, so I can only answer hypothetically. My attitude has certainly developed as a coping mechanism for constant mediocrity, but I can't see it changing now.

It just seems unlikely that you'd go ungloryhunting and support someone shit if your lot became incessantly good. I reckon you'd find a way to cope.

Mind you, I do know a couple of City fans on other forums who went totally cray-cray when they had their thing.

10 hours ago, MercifulChief said:

Another poor showing by dc united last night. I feel a long season of defeats and general disappointment. 

Last night's officiating highlighted the poor quality of our domestic referees. There was a clear penalty ignored only to be made up for with a call for one when there wasn't.  Moments later a straight red after a pretty standard challenge. 

This could be a rough year as a fan, Newcastle look to be relegated, dc is shit, usmnt are bad. 

I may become a barca fan just to feel what winning is like.

Look on the bright side. Victories taste that much sweeter when your team is pretty bad.

I've had a season ticket to Man City since the season we went down under Alan Ball in 1996 so I've seen a lot of very different situations. Seeing it from the perspective of this Manchester City is strange I must say. Obviously, I wouldn't change what we are now for what we were before, but losses do hurt more and wins seem to mean less because of the expectations of the club. It just doesn't feel right.

I don't remember if this has been posted here yet, but these kids are really fucking good, and they imitate the adult mannerisms well. That Madrid goalie berates his defenders like a pro.

http://screamer.deadspin.com/you-will-never-be-as-good-at-anything-as-barcelonas-12-1767387083

Would these kids beat any average American High School team? What about a college team, or is the strength/size/speed advantage too big?

5 hours ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

I don't remember if this has been posted here yet, but these kids are really fucking good, and they imitate the adult mannerisms well. That Madrid goalie berates his defenders like a pro.

http://screamer.deadspin.com/you-will-never-be-as-good-at-anything-as-barcelonas-12-1767387083

Would these kids beat any average American High School team? What about a college team, or is the strength/size/speed advantage too big?

These kids are easily better than my team i was on last year.  I would hope our size and strength would keep the scoreline respectable at least. 

What a freekick, though! 

1 hour ago, Raja said:

For those of you starved of club football, the Arsenal Ladies team kicks off against City in the next couple of hours. It's being shown live on BT, I think. On that note, we should see if the Ladies team can share their new striker with the men's team. That first touch!

And her finish looks oh so familiar. 

9 hours ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

They are 12 years old... They are tecnically superb but they have phisical limitations. Look at the poor goalkeeper: where he could get, he saved anything but he could have avoided the two goals only with a ladder. In 2-3 years they probably would.

Man, how I hate international breaks.

I used to like them, but the whole situation with our F.A. and national team just put me off them.

While I used to wait for an opportunity to see our team play anyone and go to the stadium when I got the chance, nowadays I just resent them for disrupting a perfectly fine club season.

The break right now is also friendlies, which are utterly boring to watch. 

Add to that the fact that Norway simply doesn't look like a team capable of beating East Timor (if they have a football team there), and we have a cure for insomnia.

On the bright side, Everton haven't looked bad for over a week now. 

Archived