Soccer Talk: Now With More!

MercenaryChef

1 hour ago, Soylent Brown said:

I still don't think I've seen the question answered - how on earth did Payet stay under the radar for so long?

No disrespect to West Ham - they've a number of fans here who I think are top dudes - but were they really the best team after him last summer?

He was always known as being talented, but never had the attitude to match. As well as being his best season so far on the pitch, he has put most of those problems behind him too - possibly because it was his last chance at a big move abroad or due to maturity that comes with age or because he wanted to go to his home Euros. None of the big European teams felt it was a risk worth taking in the summer, and beyond them only English clubs could afford £15 million for him.

A pity to lose a lead at home but Spurs and 'Pool seem well matched and pretty even. If only we had their consistency, goal-keeper and on-form, healthy striker.  We missed Firmino today and Sturridge did well with his assist but missed a couple of very good chances.

Can is now suspended for the next two games so good to see Henderson improve his form a bit. 

38 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Ramos is lucky to still be on the pitch. Seems like only a matter of time before he's sent off.

I'm not watching, but this sentence seems like something that could be said about every game Ramos plays.

Some great games today. Match of the Day was awesome.

If you'd asked me before today's games, I would have said that I hoped for a Leicester win tomorrow, only because if they were to drop points, I couldn't see us capitalising. But now, after the Sp*rs result, coupled with one of the best Arsenal performances of the season, I'm totally rooting for Southampton.

If Wenger starts the same eleven in our remaining fixtures, I reckon we can win every game. A bold claim, I know, but we were fucking mustard today.

ETA: And my Elneny man-crush goes from strength to strength. He apparently attempted 127 passes today, 122 of which were completed. When you consider that Evil Cesc previously held the season's record with 74 completed passes for Chelsea (Ramsey second with 69), Elneny's performance today was nothing short of remarkable.

*swoon*

I am a Liverpool fan and kinda hope we miss out on Europa next year.  Thursday games are like a curse.

I do hope Newcastle can stay up but that was a huge blow today.

3 hours ago, GrapefruitPerrier said:

I am a Liverpool fan and kinda hope we miss out on Europa next year.  Thursday games are like a curse.

I do hope Newcastle can stay up but that was a huge blow today.

I agree on Liverpool.  A year out of Europe would help us adapt to Klopp's style: more time for coaching, more recovery time, fewer hamstring tears....

But I disagree on Newcastle.  That team has collectively been phoning it in for most of the season.  I think the current bottom three are the most deserving of relegation, for whatever little that's actually worth. 

Villa are an absolute shambles; they are relegated and rightly so (well, not mathematically, but yeah).

Newcastle, I'm a bit torn. They're an okay team to have in the PL, and their fans are great. But their performances this year are bordering on awful. Of the current bottom three, I sort of think they've got the talent to climb out - if they can get their players performing. Seems like a huge ask, though.

Sunderland ... first adjective that comes to mind is boring. Woudn't bother me if they went down at all. 

It seems to me only Norwich are in contention for relegation. They are a positive team, love to attack and are horrible defenders. Sort of sounds like Everton. Hope they make it.

I'm hoping Newcastle can stay up but that is looking less and less likely. On paper, they have enough talent in that squad to survive but they have just not got their shit together all season as well as having alot of injuries to contend with. Palace are in freefall having not won a single league game this year. If they lose to Norwich next Saturday, they could find themselves in a relegation battle. I think the current bottom three will be the ones to go down.

Oh man, Leicester are lucky.

Should have been down a penalty and a sending off.

They've had an extraordinarily lucky season...

(don't get me wrong, if Arsenal aren't going to win it, I'd want Leicester a million times over Tottenham)

I'm not certain that warranted a penalty. I'll need to see a replay but my initial impression was that Simpson did not impede the path of the ball. His arm was tucked in at his side. If his arm wasn't there, the ball would have struck his body anyway.

Yeah, it probably would have struck his body anyway. But when the other guy is through on goal and past the keeper, anything that hints of handball is running an enormous risk. I doubt many would have been surprised if it had been given.

2 hours ago, Consigliere said:

I'm hoping Newcastle can stay up but that is looking less and less likely. On paper, they have enough talent in that squad to survive but they have just not got their shit together all season as well as having alot of injuries to contend with. Palace are in freefall having not won a single league game this year. If they lose to Norwich next Saturday, they could find themselves in a relegation battle. I think the current bottom three will be the ones to go down.

Agree, but I just feel for Rafa.  He would be a fun coach in PL again but, alas, it is unlikely to happen.

Archived