Soccer Talk: Now With More!

MercenaryChef

I actually think Coquelin is very decent on the ball too. As Mexal says, it's about balance. We haven't really looked like a balanced team since Cazorla got injuried - the midfield of Cazorla/ Coquelin with Ramsey on the right was essentially our first choice ( and it generally worked) until we stumbled upon Coquelin-Elneny and Iwobi and Welbeck. It isn't as simple as Elneny just helping out the defence though, he works his socks off and is *always* available to receive the ball from both the back 4 and one of the front 4 turning back towards their own goal. Like Iwobi, he passes the ball off exactly when you want him to ( that might not seem like much to some folk, but that's a trait that eludes Ramsey/ Wilshere/ Akpom, and even Coquelin etc etc) 

That 'always available to receive the ball' thing is why I really rate Elneny. It's such an overlooked part of the game a lot of the time. It's a huge part of what made Xavi and Scholes the players they were and while Elneny doesn't have their passing talent, his presence just makes it so much easier for Arsenal to turn an attack that's gone up a blind alley into relentless pressure instead.

I have to say, I freakin' love the guy. He's come straight into the side and, all of a sudden, we look like a football team. And he's only 23. With him and Coquelin, we may well have our most solid, effective midfield since the days of Vieira and Petit.

Long-term the problem is how to fit Cazorla into a midfield of Elneny/Coquelin. With Ozil at No. 10 there aren't enough spots in the centre of midfield.

I know Cazorla and Ramsey have both played out on the right wing but at least in Cazorla's case we know that would not be making good use of him.

Then again with the Arsenalitis of injuries, it probably won't be much of a problem.

Long-term the solution is: don't. I mean For squad depth purposes it's perfectly feasible and in fact sensible to rotate Santi, Elneny and Coq depending on the opponent and occasion but Santi is 31 now, long-term plans shouldn't be being built around him.

Cazorla's 31? Gosh. I thought he was 28 or something like that.

Good that Elneny and Coquelin are so young. And in fact, a lot of the Arsenal first team have a few more good years left in them (assuming we can keep holding onto Ozil and Bellerin et al - I'm sure some of the Spanish teams will come calling again if we don't win things).

The only cause for concern with ageing personnel is at CB - where both Koscielny and Mertesacker are the wrong side of 30 (and it looks like Mertesacker's already been supplanted). We have Gabriel but in the next couple of years Chambers will have to make the step up or we'll have to buy a top class CB.

Just now, Mexal said:

And then Ozil scores.

And looked about a couple of feet offside. Good luck at both ends for us, very fortunate - now we better not screw it up.

1 minute ago, Daeric said:

I could have seen the Ozil one going either way it was that marginal.

I think with benefit of the replay it looked offside, albeit only by half a body. The offside ruling for the West Ham goal was much clearer.

Just now, Jeor said:

I think with benefit of the replay it looked offside, albeit only by half a body. The offside ruling for the West Ham goal was much clearer.

I couldn't really tell. The West Ham goal was 2 yards onside. They got screwed.

Archived