Soccer Talk: Now With More!

MercenaryChef

I wonder if West Ham moving into the bigger stadium could be as big as Arsenal or Spurs in 5 years.  They'll have similar financial power and a London location to attract players, albeit less name recognition and no CL just yet.  They did a good job of improving their manager and prospects just as they make the move.  

4 minutes ago, Sept Sev said:

I'm not sure Leicester will get away with their counter-attacking style next season in the Premier League. They will be the team to beat and will not get the same space as teams are happy to take a point from the reigning champions. The other option is to change system, but that would require a large turnover of players that would destroy all the unity of this season. Even as the current title holders they wouldn't have sufficient financial resources to acquire a new group of title challenging calibre. I think they will struggle to replicate the emotional energy needed to overcome such overwhelming odds against them, too.

I think we are already seeing that in the last few games Leicester have played. Nobody is underestimating how good this side is anymore and, in the last 5 or 6 games, teams have been sitting deeper, leaving less space to run in behind.

6 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

I think we are already seeing that in the last few games Leicester have played. Nobody is underestimating how good this side is anymore and, in the last 5 or 6 games, teams have been sitting deeper, leaving less space to run in behind.

And tellingly, they haven't conceded any goals in those games.

Yes, Leicester's real success this season was the ability to shift from all-out attack to deep defense and counter to probing deep defenses to nick a goal.  They've shown great adaptability and resilience.  I thought their goals would dry up once Vardy was denied space behind but instead it was just his goals that dried up and he delivered crosses from the channel to assist Mahrez and Okazaki, plus they got headers from set pieces.  Liverpool had no such adaptability in 13/14 outside of grinding the first few wins while Suarez was still suspended. 

Liverpool rest 7 players but still lead Stoke at HT in the game no-one cares about.  Skrtel looks a liability. 

I got to watch Arsenal vs West Ham last night.  Elneny gives them good shape in midfield and Welbeck gives them better movement up front, but overall they look much less dangerous without Giroud and Ramsey combining with Ozil and Sanchez.  I know that sounds a bit silly when they scored three goals away at a very defensive team, but they didn't seem to link up nearly as well in attack. 

23 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

And tellingly, they haven't conceded any goals in those games.

Yeah, forgot to mention that. Credit must go to Ranieri and the coaching staff for tightening up the defensive side without negatively impacting their attacking play.

Liverpool has a great young team. Origi, Coutinho, Firmino, Ojo, and Clyne coming back next year.  Benteke is too over-priced, likely to sit the bench at Liverpool for awhile.

Martial has talent, and I think Van Gaal is holding him back

2 minutes ago, GrapefruitPerrier said:

Benteke is too over-priced, likely to sit the bench at Liverpool for awhile.

I doubt it. I don't think he's a bad player by any means but he's just not suited to how Klopp wants to play. He's already clearly behind Sturridge and Origi, and probably Firmino. Ings looks better suited to Klopp's style as well when he's fit. It's hard to see him not going in the summer.

I wouldn't write off Benteke just yet. He has hit one of those really terrible seasons, whatever could go wrong for him, just as hell goes wrong. 

Didn't he manage to injure himself during the international break, when Klopp decided to have some late-season teambuilding in Spain?

Let's see how Liverpool's squad looks next season, and if and how Benteke will fit into that.

1 minute ago, ljkeane said:

I doubt it. I don't think he's a bad player by any means but he's just not suited to how Klopp wants to play. He's already clearly behind Sturridge and Origi, and probably Firmino. Ings looks better suited to Klopp's style as well when he's fit. It's hard to see him not going in the summer.

I agree.  He doesn't suit us but would be very good in the right team.  Benteke would be a monster for West Ham, although they already have some very good strikers in Sakho, Valencia and Carroll (assuming they are healthy).  I'm sure some other teams could use him too, like Newcastle, West Brom, Stoke (Crouch looks past it), ...  Look at what Pelle has done for Southampton.  There are a lot of teams that play with more width than us, plus teams who like to have a Drogba-like target for an out-ball. 

35 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Joe Allen did well again.  Although I want us to improve our CM, I think he's worth a new contract as a squad player.  

He was okay, not sure if he will stay in the summer though. We are pretty stocked on squad players at that position. 

Really like the look of Origi. He's fucking strong, looks like he's gained so much muscle since the beginning of the season. 

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

I don't think that Vardy is going to be targeted by the wealthy clubs. I'd say the players Leicester are most in danger of losing would be Mahrez and Kante.

Kante for sure, he would fit the Klopp style perfectly.

Just now, GrapefruitPerrier said:

Kante for sure, he would fit the Klopp style perfectly.

Yeah, but the big clubs will be after him.

2 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Really like the of Origi. He's fucking strong, looks like he's gained so much muscle since the beginning of the season. 

Can't believe you're praising doping. Tsk tsk tsk.

I expected us to lose this one. Our away record has been very poor this season. What I didn't expect was our defence going to shit after conceding the first goal. After our recent good run of results, some of the talk of LVG staying was making me nervous. This defeat is a timely reminder that LVG needs to go. Playing Lingard at #10 and Mata on the right made no sense. Bringing Young on in place of Rashford made no sense. Herrera sitting on the bench made no sense. His 'philosophy' is outdated and he has no clue what his best XI and combinations are. I can't see him taking us any further - one step forward, two steps back has been the mantra since LVG took over.

7 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

I expected us to lose this one. Our away record has been very poor this season. What I didn't expect was our defence going to shit after conceding the first goal. After our recent good run of results, some of the talk of LVG staying was making me nervous. This defeat is a timely reminder that LVG needs to go. Playing Lingard at #10 and Mata on the right made no sense. Bringing Young on in place of Rashford made no sense. Herrera sitting on the bench made no sense. His 'philosophy' is outdated and he has no clue what his best XI and combinations are. I can't see him taking us any further - one step forward, two steps back has been the mantra since LVG took over.

While I agree, it's conditional on the replacement not being fucking Mourinho.

Archived