Soccer Talk: Now With More!

MercenaryChef

5 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

"A player, substitute or substituted player is sent off if he commits any of the following:

...denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper within his own penalty area)"

As you say, it's not all that important, but it should have been a red card, according to the rules.

To some people, the "or an obvious goalscoring opportunity" is subject to interpretation, including the live commentators from the channel I watched it on (and who can't be accused of Barça bias).

You might be right, but wouldn't most handballs be punished by red card since most of them stop a presumably successful goal assist?

(Right now I'm more interested in the discussion of the rules itself, not Barcelona or Atlético)

4 hours ago, Fat Pink Master said:

To some people, the "or an obvious goalscoring opportunity" is subject to interpretation, including the live commentators from the channel I watched it on (and who can't be accused of Barça bias).

You might be right, but wouldn't most handballs be punished by red card since most of them stop a presumably successful goal assist?

(Right now I'm more interested in the discussion of the rules itself, not Barcelona or Atlético)

If Iniesta had not handballed, then Griezmann would be one-on-one against ter Stegen who was scrambling across his line. The fact Iniesta was willing to risk a penalty and red card there - and he clearly knew exactly what he was doing when he went after it with his arm - shows that he thought the danger was very high. I expect Griezmann would have scored that about 80% of the time.

These are the criteria given to referees for a clear goalscoring opportunity and that handball meets all of them in my opinion:

• The direction of the play.
  • The location of the foul.
  • The proximity of the player to the ball.
  • The probability of controlling the ball.
  • The location and number of opponents.
  • The opportunity for the attempt on goal.

1 minute ago, Sept Sev said:

• The direction of the play.
  • The location of the foul.
  • The proximity of the player to the ball.
  • The probability of controlling the ball.
  • The location and number of opponents.
  • The opportunity for the attempt on goal.

Are those bulletpoints actually written in the official FIFA rulebook, and if so, which section?

Sincerely curious. I'd like to look for them in my Spanish version, the one I have at hand.

Wow, the semis participants are more or less shaped at the moment: Sevilla, Villarreal, Dortmund and Shakhtar. No surprises.

As for the Champions League, I hope Bayern gets it. They're the better team left. Very inconsistent in the current knockout phase, but the same can be said of the other teams left except for (surprisingly) Man. City, who haven't had a bad result or been against the ropes so far.

I wouldn't say this one is put to bed already. Yes, Dortmund are in the drivers seat but Liverpool have shown enough going forward that suggests they could get back into this one provided they don't concede another goal, which is a tough ask given that their defending has been dodgy thus far.

Just now, Consigliere said:

I wouldn't say this one is put to bed already. Yes, Dortmund are in the drivers seat but Liverpool have shown enough going forward that suggests they could get back into this one provided they don't concede another goal, which is a tough ask given that their defending has been dodgy thus far.

Giving away the away-goal advantage this fast... It's really hard to overcome and answer back with 3 goals, and it rarely happens.

Thanks for the link BTW.

10 minutes ago, Fat Pink Master said:

As for the Champions League, I hope Bayern gets it.

The right answer is obviously Atletico but I think I'd enjoy a situation where City did drop out of the top 4 but got to the final against Bayern, leaving Pep in the position where winning the trophy would cost his own CL place next season.

1 minute ago, Fat Pink Master said:

Giving away the away-goal advantage this fast... It's really hard to overcome and answer back with 3 goals, and it rarely happens.

That's why I said Dortmund are in the drivers seat...but just look at the chances Liverpool have created. I'm surprised that the score isn't 2-2.

It's so frustrating how almost-there we are.  We've been missing good chances all season and failing to shut up shop at the back when protecting a lead.  It should be a fun game from here with lots of chances, but unlikely that we'll score 3 without conceding another on a break-away.

5 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

The right answer is obviously Atletico but I think I'd enjoy a situation where City did drop out of the top 4 but got to the final against Bayern, leaving Pep in the position where winning the trophy would cost his own CL place next season.

His time in Barcelona left him balding, and now you want the poor guy to have a stroke...

13 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

It would help if we had our only genuine goal-threat playing, rather than our hardworking, bang-average numpty.

Origi might be good one day, but he's got a long way to go.

To be fair, Origi's goals-per-min isn't far off Sturridge's this season...

17 minutes ago, Fat Pink Master said:

Wow, the semis participants are more or less shaped at the moment: Sevilla, Villarreal, Dortmund and Shakhtar. No surprises.

As for the Champions League, I hope Bayern gets it. They're the better team left. Very inconsistent in the current knockout phase, but the same can be said of the other teams left except for (surprisingly) Man. City, who haven't had a bad result or been against the ropes so far.

Bayern have been struggling quite a bit lately. Especially their defense looks shaky at moments. It shows how much they are missing Boateng. They hope he might return for the semi-finals. But I don't know how much wishful thinking that involves, since he also needs match practice. For the moment I would rate the two Madrid clubs higher. Atletico have been very consistent lately. As for Real a lot depends on whether they get their act straight. If they play like in the first leg against Wolfsburg, they will be in trouble, even against City. If they play like they did in the second league, they will be tough to beat for any team.

As for the EL, I'll stick with either Dortmund or Sevilla winning it. Donezk will be the relatively easiest available draw left.

Archived