Video Games: 'Does Not Open From This Side' Edition

KiDisaster

31 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

That actually looks kind of cool. (Battlefield)

Agreed. That's a game I'd like to play. CoD looks like total ass, but BF1 looks pretty neat. 

2 hours ago, Gears of the Beast said:

Nvidia's GPU reveal was kinda crazy. GTX 1080 and 1070. The 1070 will cost $379 US and out-performs a Titan X which costs $1000 godamn dollars. Pretty huge performance increase and reduction in power consumption that I don't think many people were expecting. 

Amazing.

8 hours ago, Fez said:

Speaking of Paradox, their new game Stellaris looks absolutely incredible. A 4x, though real-time, strategy game set in space that looks closer to Alpha Centauri/Master of Orion II than to Europa Universalis; though it seems like there's still a ton of depth. I'm really looking forward to trying it out.

I really hope this game is as good as it looks. I have a really strong desire to name my empire the "First Order" and conquer the Galaxy. 

4 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Agreed. That's a game I'd like to play. CoD looks like total ass, but BF1 looks pretty neat. 

I kept waiting for them to let the track play out, but I guess it wasn't to be.

That said, I'm willing to make massive concessions for a cool spacey shooter so after I do a bit more looking at CoD I admit before the gods that I might actually buy it.

But I'm pretty stoked for Battlefield again, which is great because I hated everything about Hardline since the moment it was announced to the instant I played the Beta. I liked Battlefield 4 fine, but with all of the Calling of Dutying going around the modern shooter has been done to death and I'm glad to see something fresh.

Re Overwatch

My husband and I spend the weekend playing the open beta for PS4 and we're both having so much fun. I am a big fan of Borderlands and really, really wanted to like Battleborn more, but having played both betas there is just something about Overwatch that makes it a lot more enjoyable.

I'm really impressed with the different classes. The first few matches my husband and I both played pretty much the same obvious characters (Bastion/Soldier 76) the same way, but after having played this weekend we've both developed fondness for specific classes that we play well. I'm playing a lot of D-Va and Symmetra. 

I do agree that one thing that is really lacking right now is team communication. Even something like team composition seem a bit off, at least on PS4. It's quite often that I've started a game and seen four players pick offensive characters directly. I try to adjust who I play, but I have to admit I have not done any speaking so far (except for with my husband who is right next to me). I'm not sure if I will start using the mic unless I'm with a team of friends though, as being the one person speaking can get really annoying.

As for the Alt move, I don't agree at all that it's automatic 'win'. Some of the moves might be automatic kills, but used in the wrong place or at the wrong time it can be fairly useless. I know I've had games where I've felt my teleporter as Symmtra has 'won' a game - but I've also had games where I've panicked and put it down in a place where enemies found it fairly quickly. I think it's just another aspect of skill.

That said, I haven't played TF2 and don't think I'm particularly good at these games. I actually think it's more fun if it's possible for different skill levels to play and use teamwork to win.

One thing I don't like in Overwatch is the design of some heroes. Bastion literally just stands there and clicks on people to mow them down insanely fast; yes, he's perfectly counterable by a number of heroes, but he's annoying to play and annoying to face. Mei destroys anyone but Mcree 1v1 due to her freeze, but in teamfights is much less useful outside of her ult. Mcree himself has a blatantly OP flashbang that deals out an area effect stun so you don't even need to aim with it. Widowmaker's high rate of fire and ammo count seems to encourage her chaining bodyshots rather than aim for the head, and the hitbox of Hanzo's arrows seems extremely wonky.

I'm also not a big fan of the attack vs defense model 2 out of 3 gamemodes have, much prefering King of the Hill.

17 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I guess I lack detailed information to pinpoint where such excitement might be.

Yeah gee, such little information has been revealed so far about one of the biggest AAA releases of the year and presumptive GOTY candidate. Why on earth would anyone be excited? Oh wait.....

Metacritic - 94 Average

Uncharted 4 review - Is this the best video game of the generation?

Uncharted 4 Is the Beguiling Series’ Absolute Best

Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End is a true work of art

Simply the best game of the current generation. Thanks, Naughty Dog.

Are you usually this daft?

*grabs Popcorn, waits expectantly*

On a different note, Stellaris is absolutely incredible. Right out the gate, its the most polished game Paradox has ever put out I think and it is so my type of game. 

No need to be this salty. Not everyone is required to rave over everyone else's pet franchises.

Personally, I don't own a PS3 or PS4 so I never had any interest in Uncharted. I played  the second game at a buddy's house for 2 hours, and to me it seemed a run of the mill cover based shooter will cool cutscenes. Which is nice, but not my personal cup of tea.

I sold my PS4 last year after having not turned it on for six months.  In the time since I've sold it, Uncharted 4 is the only game that even kind of makes me regret selling it.  Even then, it's one game, and I feel like I can just watch someone play it on YouTube and get basically the same thing out of it.  

You seem curiously passionate, I'm glad you got to release such feelings.

Let me map something out for you, not everyone everywhere likes the things you like. In fact, I was only peripherally aware of this game's existence. You see, some grown adults (many of which roam this board and come to this thread for casual gaming conversation) aren't so obsessive about (presumably) a 3rd party's work that we feel the need to use a 19th century insult and eight favorable links responding to a crappy joke.

In other words, I'd hate to indulge in verbosity as answer to your AAA industry cartography.

It's okay, @gribbles is probably another industry shill like @Jack Bauer 24 is. Don't give him too much grief. That said, I suspect that Uncharted 4 is fine if you like that sort of thing and isn't even the best 'un' game of the last year, which would be Undertale. 

2 hours ago, Jasta11 said:

One thing I don't like in Overwatch is the design of some heroes. Bastion literally just stands there and clicks on people to mow them down insanely fast; yes, he's perfectly counterable by a number of heroes, but he's annoying to play and annoying to face. Mei destroys anyone but Mcree 1v1 due to her freeze, but in teamfights is much less useful outside of her ult. Mcree himself has a blatantly OP flashbang that deals out an area effect stun so you don't even need to aim with it. Widowmaker's high rate of fire and ammo count seems to encourage her chaining bodyshots rather than aim for the head, and the hitbox of Hanzo's arrows seems extremely wonky.

I'm also not a big fan of the attack vs defense model 2 out of 3 gamemodes have, much prefering King of the Hill.

I find with Bastion if you just sit there and mow people down you get wrecked pretty quickly. People have finally caught on and counter with Widow, Junkrat, Pharrah and other people's ults almost immediately. I enjoy playing Bastion still but I'm constantly moving when I do. Squat down, get a kill, move immediately. 

I think the best thing they could do for Bastion is make his turret mode only able to turn 180 degrees rather than 360. Lets Tracer, Reaper, etc. counter him more easily if the person playing him is just camping in one spot but he'd still be very powerful if you're playing him "properly". Otherwise slowing down his aim speed in turret mode and giving his self-repair some kind of cooldown or limitation would help a lot. 

ETA: Also worth mentioning, if you find yourself behind a Bastion in turret mode and he doesn't see you, shoot the glowing blue box on his back. It's his "head" for crit purposes. Surprising how many people don't seem to realize that.

I'm looking forward to UC4. I enjoyed the other three games so if this is just more of the same that's fine with me. Gives me something to do now that the Overwatch beta is ending. Good timing, Sony. 

Finished XCOM2. I enjoyed it more than Enemy Uknown, but just as with its predecessor, I could not understand a single word those damn Elders were saying. Couldn't they have given them less digitized voices? 

I'm also really excited about Uncharted 4. It's been a long enough hiatus between 3 and 4 that I am definitely ready to get back in touch with Nate.

2 hours ago, Jasta11 said:

No need to be this salty. Not everyone is required to rave over everyone else's pet franchises.

Personally, I don't own a PS3 or PS4 so I never had any interest in Uncharted. I played  the second game at a buddy's house for 2 hours, and to me it seemed a run of the mill cover based shooter will cool cutscenes. Which is nice, but not my personal cup of tea.

May depend on what you mean by run of the mill. Naughty Dog has platforming roots and all the UC games have included platforming to one degree or another, which AFAIK, isn't part of the mill that cover-based shooters normally run. It's on the Tomb Raider scale. In the 3 previous iterations of UC the balance was more cover than platform, but it appears UC4 has put a bit more into the platforming. That's not to try to convince you that UC4 should be your cup of tea, but IMO it's not a run of the mill cover based shooter either.

Archived