[Spoilers] Criticize Without Repercussion

teemo

6 hours ago, Prince of the North said:

That's sure what it looked like to me as well!  If so, that's just some more fantastic attention to detail right there!:rolleyes:

They really need to tighten up, its like they have been playing drinking games on set.

Here is another one ... The actor playing Dayne is wearing his white cloak  before ned arrives and as he puts on his helmet. Less than 30 seconds later its not there, While the guy playing Hightower/Went is also wearing his white cloak while sharpening his blade prior to the northmens arrival.

On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 5:38 PM, Darkstream said:

Ahh, I thought their might be a connection with you being a hockey fan and your user name. I was trying to think of a team that would have had a player that won nine rings.

Nah. The Ninerings comes from the Nazgul. I've had that moniker for over 20 years!

On Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 4:27 AM, teemo said:

I guess I should watch the last two episodes eventually....there is just so much better tv to watch :X

Give me something to start. Outlander was cool, but season two kinda sucks and US TV is shit.

36 minutes ago, Direwight said:

He only drew the other sword from the scabbard. Dawn he just drew up from the ground.

Went back and looked at again. Thou art right, on seeing it first  it looked like he drew it from his holster. 

Clearly I didnt see it proper. My Bad. Cheers good sir.

21 hours ago, Nami said:

I don't want any more Gilly and Sam scenes. Ever. I hate them. Their scenes are pointless and a waste of fucking time. They can just go away along with anything Dorne.

True that.

Is it just me or this season they are jumping from one story line to another waaay too much? 

22 hours ago, Ninerings said:

Give me something to start. Outlander was cool, but season two kinda sucks and US TV is shit.

Sure!  I'll give you a long list of great modern tv, a lot of it American.  There is actually quite a bit of good American television  My top five ever shows are: The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, Fargo, Breaking Bad.  There is also Oz, Rome, Homicide: Life on the Street, Carnivale, Treme, Big Love, Hung, The Comeback, Battlestar Galactica, Band of Brothers, Boardwalk Empire, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Boss, Luck, Firefly, Mad Dogs (American and Australian), The Returned (the french one, Les Revenants). Hannibal, Homeland season 1, seasons 1-2 Downton Abbey, Bleak House, Brotherhood (maybe most underrated show ever), Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Lost, Mad Men, Top of the Lake, American Horror Story seasons 1-2 (the rest are garbage), Enlightened, Nip/Tuck season 1 to maybe 2 (sad, had a lot of potential), The Shield, Eastbound and Down, Six Feet Under, Luther, season 1 of True Detective, Justified, Veronica Mars. 

Shows that are still running: Fargo, Better Call Saul, The Americans, Daredevil, Bosch, Jessica Jones, Veep, Silicon Valley, The Leftovers, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Happy Valley, Broadchurch, Peaky Blinders, Bates Motel, Mr. Robot, Louie, Wolf Holl, House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, Wentworth, Masters of Sex, The Fall, some episodes of Black Mirror, Vikings, Mozart in the Jungle, Sherlock, Doctor Who, American Crime, Red Oaks, Narcos, The Walking Dead (it's campy fun and I'm a sucker for post-apocalypse things) The 100 (same kind of deal as TWD, lol), Billions, Transparent, Casual, Catastrophe, You're the Worst, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, The Knick, Bloodline, Orphan Black, The Expanse, The Affair, The Path, Ray Donovan, Penny Dreadful, Rectify.

I know I'm probably missing a bunch of others shows that I like.  And obviously, there are some huge differences in quality from show to show.  The Americans is a lot better than say, Billions or The 100.  Or most of the shows still airing, honestly.  But I think all of the above shows are at least a B- (although The 100 is plummeting quickly to an F).  Fargo, Better Call Saul, The Americans, Wolf Hall, Peaky Blinders, The Knick, Wentworth, and Rectify are probably the best shows still airing.  

On 5/12/2016 at 7:31 AM, Nami said:

I don't want any more Gilly and Sam scenes. Ever. I hate them. Their scenes are pointless and a waste of fucking time. They can just go away along with anything Dorne.

I don't hate them, but they do kind of highlight how a story can get ignored and then not make much sense to come back too.  They should not have shown them on the boat with a semi-aged infant.  The boat to Oldtown doesn't take two years when you can apparently make it to Dorne and back twice in the space of a few days.

I would be very excited to sea Oldtown, the Citadel, and Horn Hill on screen, if I were still invested in the show.

Also, showing Sam puking wasn't the way to go.  They should have shown the boat with sounds of sexual screaming coming from one of the rooms and the crew commenting about 'there they go again...geeze"  and then pan in to show Sam and Gilly.

11 hours ago, Florina Laufeyson said:

Citadel dont allow ladies, mate. Thats with canon. He didnt say Oldtown, he said Citadel.

as long as its not something like Carol or Larry, honestly i cant take anyone seriously who ever uses those names. E v e r. 

i am growing very tired of eunuch jokes, D&D.

Ughhhhhh, the eunuch jokes, along with the dick jokes in general, I can't take anymore.  It's so JV that I am embarrassed for the actors.  Honestly, we FINALLY get an attempt at a Tormund joke and, hehe, they blew it.  It's much too late and they didn't use the word MEMBER!!  

No likey Carol?  It took a bit for that grow on me, but I do adore Larry The Lunkhead.  That name seems to help me maintain a bit of affection for the poor dufus, LOL  It is hard to equal nanananananananananananananana BATFINGER!!!!!  

8 minutes ago, The Knight in Motley said:

I don't hate them, but they do kind of highlight how a story can get ignored and then not make much sense to come back too.  They should not have shown them on the boat with a semi-aged infant.  The boat to Oldtown doesn't take two years when you can apparently make it to Dorne and back twice in the space of a few days.

I would be very excited to sea Oldtown, the Citadel, and Horn Hill on screen, if I were still invested in the show.

Also, showing Sam puking wasn't the way to go.  They should have shown the boat with sounds of sexual screaming coming from one of the rooms and the crew commenting about 'there they go again...geeze"  and then pan in to show Sam and Gilly.

But why not show them arriving at Oldtown?  We learned nothing from the boat scene except Sam vomits and Gilly is getting subtle, and the show finally aged up her 4 year old to a slightly older baby.  It was a complete waste of time.

9 hours ago, ricardoromell said:

Here is another one ... The actor playing Dayne is wearing his white cloak  before ned arrives and as he puts on his helmet. Less than 30 seconds later its not there, While the guy playing Hightower/Went is also wearing his white cloak while sharpening his blade prior to the northmens arrival.

Sigh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgFPVae1Cb8

You can actually see Hightower/Whent removing his cloak at 0:35 in the background. Cut to Ned/Bran/Ned. At 0:58 you can see both without their cloaks. BECAUSE the cloaks were lain on the rock behind them. 

10 hours ago, ricardoromell said:

They really need to tighten up, its like they have been playing drinking games on set.

Ah, I didn't even notice anything about the cloaks but I was wrong about both swords being pulled from scabbards.  The one in the ground was actually just pulled from the ground.

ETA: Yep, from messem's clip, the cloaks were laying on the rock behind Dayne and Whent as they walked up.  Also, I gotta say it again - that location/castle is absolutely wonderful!

4 hours ago, Direwight said:

He only drew the other sword from the scabbard. Dawn he just drew up from the ground.

Yes, I happened to catch this scene again last night and I was able to pause/rewind/slow motion it and see that the sword (I think they meant it to be Dawn) that ol' Art jammed into the ground was just pulled out of the ground again.  So I was wrong on that.

31 minutes ago, Zachary Snow said:

i think dayne got howland really good at the beginning.  that had to get a bit of blood on his sword

Nope. Watch again. There was no blood on his sword directly after Howland, then midway through his second scuffle with Ned, blood magically appears on both his swords. I honestly cannot understand how they would make a mistake like this when they knew everyone else was still alive while putting the blood on his sword. Reed was only slashed, that would get minimal blood on a sword if any, even stabbing, most of the volume of blood is wiped off when the sword is being pulled out. Don't ask how I know this :P

3 hours ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

No likey Carol?  It took a bit for that grow on me, but I do adore Larry The Lunkhead.  That name seems to help me maintain a bit of affection for the poor dufus, LOL  It is hard to equal nanananananananananananananana BATFINGER!!!!!  

I liked Carol right away. Carol Brady. She's just a good mom.

5 hours ago, The Knight in Motley said:

I know from some sources that it's almost 100% sure we will se the Citadel (although not 100%, I'd say 95%)  and 100% Horn Hill. These are one of the few things I'm looking forward to seeing from this show.

5 hours ago, messem said:

Sigh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgFPVae1Cb8

You can actually see Hightower/Whent removing his cloak at 0:35 in the background. Cut to Ned/Bran/Ned. At 0:58 you can see both without their cloaks. BECAUSE the cloaks were lain on the rock behind them. 

Damn you are right, though @0.35 its really hard to tell, either ways  it makes much better sense now. At least at the 0:58 mark having the cloaks in the background give it a sense of completeness. 

On 5/11/2016 at 8:08 AM, Xcorpyo001 said:

Yeah, comparing Grey’s anatomy with Game of Thrones.

All the producers need to do for GA is buy some medical stuff from E-bay, some white robes, throw them in a room and start filming.

GoT people have to make almost everything from scratch. Costumes and weapons created to closely resemble the ones in the books, awesome CGI, practical effects, filming on locations in several countries, etc.

Don’t compare a scene in which Meredith Grey is talking to her current shrink inside an office with Hardhome for example. The amount of time and effort put in one scene in GoT is bigger than two seasons of GA. Yes, they had to cut corners to make it happen due to budgetary and time restrains, but it’s still better than other shows out there.

And the actors. Some might give subpar performances, but over the years the show had an army of actors giving us magnificent scenes.

Yes, the last season(s) are starting to be on the off side, but it’s still quality entertainment, and some of the flack the show is getting now might be put at GRRM’s feet for dropping the ball when he couldn’t deliver new material on time. It’s clear by now that D&D can’t make stuff that is on par with Martin’s work.

I stopped watching GA several seasons ago. It got to damn repetitive and boring. Same for the Walking Dead. Stopped watching that one season and half ago. Half the show you listed are way under the quality of GoT, and although I watch some of them, you should wait and see if the quality holds once they advance several seasons. If they get that far.

As to the way I see the Game of Thrones show, part of me wishes that I wasn’t a book reader. If I didn’t know how much they removed/changed, I think I could like the show a little better.

Also, if I could disengage the analytic part of my brain, and not ask myself questions like why, how, when or WHY? while watching every scene, and judge it only by  its entertainment value, I could enjoy it a little more.

But it is as it is. As I said before, a bad GoT episode is better than 90% of what’s on the air at this time. And there are millions of people who seem to agree with this statement every week while the show airs.

Millions of your fellows will vote for Trump of Clinton.   Quantity is no guarantee of quality and never has been.

Hardhome must have been the single most expensive and totally pointless episode of any TV show in history.

A massive battle fought between the NW and a horde of Free folk against thousands of Wights and Others. this is witnessed by hundreds of sailors on the fleet brought to evacuate the trapped Wildlings.

And yet not a single person ever refers to what happened. Nobody changes their strategy in the aftermath. Nobody uses it to prove that the NW needs the Wildlings to defend the World of Men.  It's as if it never happened.

What was the point of it?

Archived