[Spoilers] Rant and Rave without Reprecussions - Season 6 Edition

Ran

1 hour ago, OldGimletEye said:

Yeah, it's funny. Because on substantive policy matters there doesn't seem to be a dime's worth of difference between show!Euron and Yara. 
The only issue being who can execute that policy better.
And I'm supposed to care who gets the Salty Throne because why again?

The shockingly applied "dick joke" got Euron home in a tightly fought campaign made hard to follow because Both candidates ran on the same platform with the same policies. Eurons deftly applied second dick joke was what pushed Euron 2 eyes over the edge and won it for him. Gotta love the dick joke, the goto line for the powerful orators of Weisserhoff!

5 minutes ago, jbent87 said:

They absolutely failed on Euron and maybe even the entire IB going forward, based on this episode alone. The back to back dick jokes didn't just kill Euron's character from the start but they totally buried Theon by reducing him to "the guy who got his dick cut off." 

They couldn't construct a set with bones of the sea dragon/giant squid or whatever that thing was where they hold the KM? They just stand on a fielded cliff? Also, Eurons first words when he awakes from being "baptized" - "where are my niece and nephew? let's go kill them" WTF???? I look like a total asshole for hyping up Euron as my favorite book character to Unsullied friends. One dimensional, comic book bully/villain. God damn. 

Yep. Euron might be the worst portrayal of anyone on the show.

The Ds are not capable of writing a subtle long game manipulator. Their villains are all various versions of Ramsay. The four long game players from the books are complete jokes on the show - Euron is comic book villain, Doran is dead, Varys has turned into Tyrion's ball washer, and Little Finger changes from comic book villain to hero to groveler each subsequent scene.

1 minute ago, SuperMario said:

The Ds are not capable of writing a subtle long game manipulator. Their villains are all various versions of Ramsay. The four long game players from the books are complete jokes on the show - Euron is comic book villain, Doran is dead, Varys has turned into Tyrion's ball washer, and Little Finger changes from comic book villain to hero to groveler each subsequent scene.

Roose... the genius stabbed by his own son. Never Forget

Just now, SuperMario said:

Also "they stole our boats, so everyone go home and make some more, like enough for an entire fleet I guess. THEN, I'm gonna go marry the currently most powerful woman in Westeros." Bashing my head against the f'ing wall.  

15 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Agree with all your points. But we already knew that their writing/plotting is extremely lazy, and this scene just proved that once again. And it was so rushed, so flat and so utterly underwhelming. I'm kind of curious to see how they'll deal with the time travelling stuff too. It was so weird, the WW touches Bran, A Thousand Eyes and Two tells him he has 'the mark on him' or something and they must RUN! But then they're back in Winterfell of the past watching Ned being sent to the Eyrie just to get the Hold the Door reveal. As @Sir Drew mentioned, if young Hodor had ever fallen to the ground in the middle of Winterfell's courtyard with everyone present screaming "HOLD THE DOOR", it would have been mentioned already, people would know it happened. It's so fucking stupid and ridiculous. And of course, the best is yet to come, since now they have to deal with this temporal paradox. Seeing how they can't keep babies and necklaces straight, I can only expect the nonsense and absurdity will reach a whole new level. 

According to 'Inside the Episode' Bloodraven is forcing all his knowledge upon Bran there or something. Not that there's anything in the actual episode that would suggest such a thing. Cramming all this stuff into one episode was a mistake. Nothing was given the appropriate weight. 

3 minutes ago, SuperMario said:

The thing is though, I'm not sure why Euron is the bad guy here and why Yara is the hero.
Based on their actual speeches, they both sound pretty awful.
If Yara is the more capable leader here, then perhaps for the sake of the other people's of Westeros it's better that the more incompetent Euron got the throne.

5 minutes ago, Sir Drew said:

According to 'Inside the Episode' Bloodraven is forcing all his knowledge upon Bran there or something. Not that there's anything in the actual episode that would suggest such a thing. Cramming all this stuff into one episode was a mistake. Nothing was given the appropriate weight. 

:agree:

The Kingsmoot was very disappointing. Didn't mind Euron when we first saw him with Balon, but in the full light he just didn't look right - no gravitas or aura to him. The accent felt a little bit off, and his lines in general were very meh. The shows generally been solid with its casting, even if some stories have fallen short, but this one seems way off.

22 minutes ago, Sir Drew said:

I agree wholeheartedly. It's again butchering and jettisoning all the magic out of the story, getting it out of the way as quickly (and clumsily and underwhelmingly) as possible. 

Thanks again for the recaps, everyone. I have faith that if the Hodor and COTF/Others revelations are at all from GRRM's story, they will be better thought out and presented. Hold out hope, everyone. 

Wasn't the actress who played Shae supposedly showing up this season again? Based on Fandom Following's recap regarding the new Red Priestess, I think I know who that might go down... (um)... Occur. Happen. :blink:

14 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

And @Chebyshov poll: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1aHb2oLKN_7YcYIxwL0Kpyz5H20a_7DchRLqwbXvBW40/viewform (Bran was winning when I voted with more than 50%)

Yeah I dinged something up so the IB votes from last night are all registering as "other," but I can whip out more of my maths.

2 minutes ago, Liver and Onions said:

Thanks again for the recaps, everyone. I have faith that if the Hodor and COTF/Others revelations are at all from GRRM's story, they will be better thought out and presented. Hold out hope, everyone. 

Wasn't the actress who played Shae supposedly showing up this season again? Based on Fandom Following's recap regarding the new Red Priestess, I think I know who that might go down... (um)... Occur. Happen. :blink:

Agreed. I think after that Spooky Skeleton smash-fest, there is no reveal that's going to look good. 

Yup, she was spotted filming in Meereen. Can't wait for that!

38 minutes ago, Ibbison from Ibben said:

Thanks. I've picked up some more details now. Let me know if I've got this right.

The CotF, who Sing the Song of Earth, strapped SomeDude to a Weirwood Heart Tree, stabbed him in the chest with a Dragonglass (Frozen Fire) blade, and that turned him into an Ice-powered White Walker, who will presumably shatter if he gets stabbed with Dragonglass again. Mr. Walker can easily enter Bran's dream, but doesn't seem to have tried to enter the 3ER's dreams, even though we have ample evidence that Bran is stronger than the 3ER. Simply touching Bran in his dream allows Mr. Walker and his friends to penetrate the cave's wards, even though Bran is not the one maintaining them.

This doesn't make much sense. It seems like D&D are screwing around with the underlying nature of GRRM's created world simply for the convenience of one scene. If they are going to change this stuff (which they shouldn't), they need to put in the work to do it right. It's like suddenly deciding that Dany is indeed fireproof, just so they can shoot that one scene from ep 604.

(I really, really hope the "CotF created the Others" is show-only. I will be sorely disappointed if GRRM does it in the books. It reeks of "the CotF sound good, so they must be evil", and that's always been about the only reasoning behind it. The series is about Ice and Fire. The Others should be linked somehow to Valyria and the dragons.)

You have raised some good questions and yet many more come with it, and it seems to me  that D$D just didn't think it through! Why and how could the Nights King do this, how had 3eR survived so long? Has Brsb learnt anything except about Hodor, why does the Nights King care even and how could he suddenly track Bran when and the cave when he could not before! I think, unfortunately, that these questions might be for an audience of a nature to ask discerning questions, that I think D$D are no longer aiming the show at anymore, Damn them !

22 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

The thing is though, I'm not sure why Euron is the bad guy here and why Yara is the hero.
Based on their actual speeches, they both sound pretty awful.
If Yara is the more capable leader here, then perhaps for the sake of the other people's of Westeros it's better that the more incompetent Euron got the throne.

Yep. That is a good point. Euron promises the IB they will take over the world. How does he do it? Everyone cut down every tree on the Iron Islands and build 1000 ships......wait, what?

So they will conquer Westeros 500 years later? They'll be like those entrenched Japanese soldiers on remote islands people found 15 years after the end of World War II who still thought the war was going on. Dany will be dead and the Others will have wiped out Westeros, and Euron will still be building his ships to conquer the world!

So are the COTF extinct now? 

Why is the Night's king pissed of at humans?  Obviously he was one before being turned.  He has a certain amount of sentient thought so surely his beef is with the COTF whom he has just wiped out.  So his 'war' is done? He's just wiped out those that transgressed against him. 

Why would he now want to fight his own people?  The people the COTF turned him to fight against his will.  So is he now intent on wiping out his own? 

And why? If he is against the COTF obviously he should know that originally he was a weapon created to be used against his own people.  So why attack his own people like the COTF want? 

Archived