[Spoilers] Rant and Rave without Reprecussions - Season 6 Edition

Ran

7 hours ago, The Wull said:

What's curious is how angry people would get when book readers spoiled the show before it came out, but D&D seem to have no problem "confirming" book spoilers via GRRM in the behind the scenes show.  The irony is completely lost on them, I'm sure. 

Either they're clueless, or they're just assholes.

It's much worse, actually. Mr Benioff was praising book readers for keeping the internet as spoiler free as possible for Ned's death and the RW back in the good old days. And now they keep pulling this  'when George told us this' shit move. I have no respect for the show runners.

House Mazin

The House names mentioned in "Sons of the Harpy" were in-joke references to friends of the TV writers: "House Caulfield" (specifically "Lady Caulfield") for Bernadette Caulfield, a producer on the TV show; "House Mazin" refers to Craig Mazin, a fellow scriptwriter who gave the showrunners advice on the unaired pilot episode. "House Wibberley" is similarly a reference to Cormac and Marianne Wibberley, a married team of scriptwriters who are also friends of the TV show writers.

6 hours ago, Ibbison from Ibben said:

I must say that the most alarming aspect of this ep is that D&D seem to have fully embraced the Heresy threads, and the mindless horde of TV fantypes have fully accepted it. It is unwise to underestimate the impact of large numbers of stupid people.

The Others are rather obviously among those who Sing the Song of Ice. The CotF Sing the Song of Earth. No, the CotF didn't create the Others. That would make the CotF out to be total idiots, since the Others turned out to be an existential threat to the CotF. Of course, Idiot Plots are a specialty of D&D, but it is disappointing that so many would fall for their moronicy. (Should I be disappointed that my spellchecker doesn't recognize "moronicy?)

Since you didn't watch the episode, the scene where we see the cats of the forest creating the WWs plays out very similarly to the final vision Bran has, with an old woman slitting a guy`s throat with a sickle by a weirwood. 

4 hours ago, Neds Secret said:

Anybody else a little confused by what in the gods name Bran has learnt that is so important this season, or ever? Why does the Nights King even care less about him seeing shitty little visions from the past? So he knows Ned leaves for the Eyrie, big deal!! Ned fought dual wielding Dayne, so what! Who gives a damn about these shity visions and why does it concern The Nights King? Why can the Nights King see him, how does the shitty visions Bran has impact or threaten the Nights King, it all just seems so pointless, how does Bran having these visions possibly endanger the White Walkers at all, it all seems so stupid!

4 hours ago, Sir Drew said:

On-screen we haven't seen Bran learn anything. Apparently Bloodraven told him about the Night's King, off-screen of course, and he's shown him some Stark-related information, and now some info-dumps about the Others. We've not seen BR actually teach him or train him though. Also I find it funny how the wights can basically be killed, or fall apart, from a slap, rather than fire being the only effective means to kill them. 

When it was revealed they'd go there with Bran's visions ('we won't do no visions, that's lazy! LOL), it was clear that they were going to use the visions as visual infodumps and little else, imo.

2 hours ago, ArabellaVidal said:

Everyone in Weisseroff must be kicking themselves for not having realized how easy it would be to promote themselves to top positions by kinslaying in earlier seasons. Chaos is a laddah...

In other news, Batfinger's accent was much weirder than usual. Must be all the emotions...

Oh good, I thought it was just me and my bias! It was much, much weirder. 

36 minutes ago, Neds Secret said:

Where is house "Mazin"?

30 minutes ago, Darkstream said:

I recall reading someone say it was a made up house based on a friend of D&D's. 

Mazin is one of the show runners' friends who told them their original pilot sucked big time. I think Mazin is also a screenwriter responsible for some (or all?) of the The Hangover films. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, ArabellaVidal said:

Remind me: when they're naming Northern houses, was Mormont mentioned at all?

I dont think anybody trusts Mormont, they are too hard too predict and their decision are hard to understand and a lot of the time make no sense!

13 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Mazin is one of the show runners' friends who told them their original pilot sucked big time. I think Mazin is also a screenwriter responsible for some (or all?) of the The Hangover films. :rolleyes:

You are right about him being the one who suggested that the pilot needed changes but I believe that he only wrote the script for Hangover 2 and 3.

I think  that he has also written the screenplay for Scary Movie 3 and 4.

2 hours ago, ArabellaVidal said:

Everyone in Weisseroff must be kicking themselves for not having realized how easy it would be to promote themselves to top positions by kinslaying in earlier seasons. Chaos is a laddah...

Not only is so much easier to gain power by killing your relatives, it is also the best way to become very, very popular. Nobody seems to keep kinslaying a secret. Didn't Euron said loud, so that anyone can hear, that he is planning to murder Balon's children as well?

2 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

I thought it was really touching how Theon backed Yara as the war mongering, imperialist and expansionist aggressor candidate.

Ah, well, that's because Theon was pre-s.3 Theon - same haircut, same look, not traumatised, not shuffling, able to swing into a boat, totes cured.

47 minutes ago, Darkstream said:

House Mazin

The House names mentioned in "Sons of the Harpy" were in-joke references to friends of the TV writers: "House Caulfield" (specifically "Lady Caulfield") for Bernadette Caulfield, a producer on the TV show; "House Mazin" refers to Craig Mazin, a fellow scriptwriter who gave the showrunners advice on the unaired pilot episode. "House Wibberley" is similarly a reference to Cormac and Marianne Wibberley, a married team of scriptwriters who are also friends of the TV show writers.

The showrunners seem to like cutting actual ASOIAF characters that have an interest to the story ending somehow, in order to "reward" other members withing their own private circle of friends. All that you mentioned, plus, this one where former Goldman Sachs head and his wife were given a "walking peasants" role. Not that their part was a huge deal, but it is a pretty big reward that I am sure took at least a little time away from script writing and filming and addressing actors questions.

"Friedman, who also worked in the White House under President George W. Bush, has a brief cameo “Game of Thrones” during the season four premiere, according to an article in NY Times’ Dealbook."

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/stephen-friedman-makes-a-cameo-in-game-of-thrones-season-opener-1201139109/

14 minutes ago, Danelle said:

You are right about him being the one who suggested that the pilot needed changes but I believe that he only wrote the script for Hangover 2 and 3.

I think  that he has also written the screenplay for Scary Movie 3 and 4.

Not only is so much easier to gain power by killing your relatives, it is also the best way to become very, very popular. Nobody seems to keep kinslaying a secret. Didn't Euron said loud, so that anyone can hear, that he is planning to murder Balon's children as well?

Of all the Hangover movies, those last two were awful. The third one in particular. People were calling it something like "the movie no one asked for". It was bad, bad, bad... and I can let real loose and laugh along to some smutty comedy.

7 minutes ago, Ser Quork said:

Ah, well, that's because Theon was pre-s.3 Theon - same haircut, same look, not traumatised, not shuffling, able to swing into a boat, totes cured.

Yeah, it's funny. Because on substantive policy matters there doesn't seem to be a dime's worth of difference between show!Euron and Yara. 
The only issue being who can execute that policy better.
And I'm supposed to care who gets the Salty Throne because why again?

3 minutes ago, Ruhail said:

Love your new avatar @Tijgy :wub:

I chose in the beginning for Robb who was carrying Grey Wind and Lady (or at least he was carrying her in my head cannon) - the dead direwolves ... now D&D killed so many of them so I had to chose between them :crying:.  

My first rant since the episode, so I apologize if any points were already brought up. I love how at the very beginning of the episode BatFinger, who is disguising his voice again, is already in Mole's Town. Somehow he bypasses Winterfell, Umber and Bolton territory? His teleporter must be working perfectly right now. I thought it might be surprising that we get the worst scene of the episode as the first scene, but then the King's Moot Frat Party scene came on.

I remember when Euron first appeared in the books and he was mysterious and just plain evil without being overbearing. There was a lot of subtlety about him. But when show Euron tells three dick/dickless jokes in a matter of 10 seconds I knew it was over. And how does Yara know that Euron killed Balon? No one has proof, yet Euron just admits to it?

The Ds are so damn bad at writing. I'm still appalled that this show is as popular as it is.

Meeren was boring. Dany wanted Jorah dead, but now she cries when she finds out he's dying? Sure, ok.

With everything that happened though, this was the first episode that made me sad. I feel like this was the first episode that actually produced major book spoilers that people have been debating about for a long time - the origins of Hodor's name and the origins of the Others. And while I know the books will give a much deeper and better presentation of both, it just angers me that two dumb ass hacks like Dan and Dave get to be the ones to spoil such rich literary history. And then Benioff of course does his completely smug, smarmy outside the episode explaining how they tried to get as much information from George as possible and were completely floored when he told them how Hodor got his name.

Also, I'm now convinced every direwolf will die.

Fuck this show and fuck D&D.

Archived