[Spoilers] Rant and Rave without Reprecussions - Season 6 Edition

Ran

2 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

7% of the voters did. The 10/10 isn't the "average" rating on IMDB. It's the median rating, because 93% of the people voted it a 10.

This could very likely be a textbook case of very "vocal minority/silent majority".  That is, if people aren't liking the show or are questioning it, etc. then they are probably far less likely to be motivated to vote.

Are we in agreement that Boss Ass Individual is going to think she owes Batfinger because he did her a favor by showing up with the Vale army in the nick of time? So she's going to have to give him what he wants to repay him?

Instead of the more natural, logical thing: Boss Ass Individual recognizes that Batfinger owes her big-time for handing her off to be raped by Ramsay and that him rescuing the northern army is just the first step in repayment to her of that debt?

Is the show going to deal with this issue in the way that makes the most sense, or in the way that is the most ass-backwards? What's wrong with me that I am even asking this question?

36 minutes ago, El Hoopus said:

Hey this isn't supposed to be some kind of huge pro-show thing or whatever, just being a bit levelheaded here *shrug*

This topic is specifically for people to complain, so we have a place to do so that doesn't muck up all the other threads. It's not for arguing with people about their opinions or trying to get people to defend their opinions. Please respect that.

5 minutes ago, The Ned's Little Girl said:

Are we in agreement that Boss Ass Individual is going to think she owes Batfinger because he did her a favor by showing up with the Vale army in the nick of time? So she's going to have to give him what he wants to repay him?

Instead of the more natural, logical thing: Boss Ass Individual recognizes that Batfinger owes her big-time for handing her off to be raped by Ramsay and that him rescuing the northern army is just the first step in repayment to her of that debt?

Is the show going to deal with this issue in the way that makes the most sense, or in the way that is the most ass-backwards? What's wrong with me that I am even asking this question?

The Boss.Ass.Individual is difficult to predict.  She could tell him to fuck off, or be back under his thumb.  What Boss.Ass.Individual almost certainly will not do is the thing she should do:  clamp him in chains and be done with him once and for all.

I give it 50/50, if I had to guess I would guess that Boss.Ass.Individual will come to some sort of agreement with him that keeps the story going and keeps LF alive as a player until next year.  It probably will not make any sense, but that's sort of expected as this point.

2 hours ago, The Ned's Little Girl said:

I think we're  going to see Boss Ass Individual's multiple personality disorder again.

This last episode, she was Field Marshal Sandra Snark, master of the operational art and just an all around cunning and extremely shrewd individual.

But, this week, Boss Ass Individual's personality is going to flip again and be one of:

A very naive and innocent child whose like, "Golly, LF what do you want from me? I just don't know what you want from me! Oh dear, what could it be! Well, I guess I owe you something though."

I don't think you have the faintest clue what the actual objections to the storytelling in the show is.

Nobody here is objecting to the depictions of violence, sexual and otherwise. 

What we object to is the juvenile assertion that merely depicting those things graphically makes the story "mature", "deep", and "honest".

The storytelling in the show the past few seasons have been mindnumbingly puerile and amateur, no amount of nudity, gore, and blood can cover that up. 

2 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

I think we're seeing Boss Ass Individual's multiple personality disorder again.

This last episode, she was Field Marshal Sandra Snark, master of the operational art and just an all around cunning and extremely shrewd individual.

But, this week, Boss Ass Individual's personality is going to flip again and be on of:

A very naive and innocent child whose like, "Golly, LF what do you want from me? I just don't know what you want from me! Oh dear, what could it be! Well, I guess I owe you something though."

On the bright side, "Best Sansa Personality" is going to be a *stiff* competition this year.

You make a compelling case for Sonsa Stork popping back in on Sunday.

16 minutes ago, El Hoopus said:

Well if it's not squeamishness it's snobbery - reverting back to the escapism GRRM tried to... escape... from, let alone that escapism itself, and showing violence without all the "consequences", surely can't be called offensive by any reasonable individual.

Showing violence without consequences might not be offensive, but it is, without a doubt, juvenile wish fulfillment. Its offensive in GoT simply because a lot of what made the books so popular was their consequence-heavy, and adult take on violence and revenge. In that sense its effectively a middle finger to the people who made it possible for the show to exist in the first place. 

1 minute ago, Ser Furious said:

Showing violence without consequences might not be offensive, but it is, without a doubt, juvenile wish fulfillment. Its offensive in GoT simply because a lot of what made the books so popular was their consequence-heavy, and adult take on violence and revenge. In that sense its effectively a middle finger to the people who made it possible for the show to exist in the first place. 

:agree:

Not sure if it's been posted here, review from the New Yorker.  She still is invested in the show, but it may be her snarkiest review yet,..

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/sarah-larson/game-of-thrones-bastards

For an army of goofballs at an away game, the Starks have an impressive war-room setup: lanterns, tables, maps, a diagram made of rocks. They talk of trenches and flanks. It reminds me of a scene from “Top Secret!,” because I don’t generally watch movies with war rooms in them. Tormund, Jon Snow, and Davos Seaworth furrow their brows and try to figure out a strategy, and afterward Sansa scolds Jon for not asking her about what to do. She’s the only one who knows how Ramsay thinks, she reminds him. Good point.

“I would’ve told you not to attack Winterfell until we had a larger force,” she says.

“It’s all we have!” Jon says. I’m not entirely sure why they’re giving us this plotline of tension and miscommunication between Jon and Sansa—he’s not a sexist, and they trust and love each other; I don’t know why he wouldn’t consult her or why she’d be keeping secrets. Or why she wouldn’t just speak up in the war room. These choices by the writers aren’t good for anybody, including us.

13 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

“It’s all we have!” Jon says. I’m not entirely sure why they’re giving us this plotline of tension and miscommunication between Jon and Sansa—he’s not a sexist, and they trust and love each other; I don’t know why he wouldn’t consult her or why she’d be keeping secrets. Or why she wouldn’t just speak up in the war room. These choices by the writers aren’t good for anybody, including us.

Exactly.
Jon looks like a dumbass. He also looks like the Randyll Tarly of the North (or at least that's what they are trying to make him look like).
Sansa looks like a conniving back stabber.
Fucking terrible.

8 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Exactly.
Jon looks like a dumbass. He also looks like the Randyll Tarly of the North (or at least that's what they are trying to make him look like).
Sansa looks like a conniving back stabber.
Fucking terrible.

With all her previous freely given advice without needing to be "asked" it just makes her look like 'disinteresed' before she confronts him, and a passive aggressive, insecure brat when she does.

2 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

With all her previous freely given advice without needing to be "asked" it just makes her look like 'disinteresed' before she confronts him, and a passive aggressive, insecure brat when she does.

I wouldn't think a Boss Ass Individual would sit there like some kind of wall flower and be afraid to speak their mind.

Archived