MMA & Boxing 18: "I'm The World Champion!"

Davrum

Maia's awesome to watch. With 3 finishes in his last 4 fights, all over Top 10 WWs if I remember rightly, he, along with Wonderboy, is about as impressive as it gets at 170 lbs right now. I love Condit and his muay thai zombie warrior, attack-first-defend-never style, but watching Maia is like watching a wizard. He doesn't just own strikers like Carlos, he owns high level grapplers like Jon Fitch and Gunnar Nelson.

The idea that you can know exactly what Demian Maia is going to try to do but (unless he doesn't prepare 100% and gasses, as he did against Rory) you can't stop him is just about as compelling as it gets in the fighting arts.

The irony of putting Maia in the WW title fight spot would be that the two fighters who most recently beat him - Shields and Rory - are also the two who most recently beat T-Wood, and neither are in the UFC at present.

17 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I didn't notice all that much booing. Some fans will always boo whenever anyone who isn't Brock Lesnar takes it to the mat, but that's a ridiculous attitude when watching MMA, might as well just stick to pure stand-up disciplines.

Well the booing I was talking about was the booing you generally hear during MMA games when the grappling and take downs stuff goes on for a good while. A lot of people just don't like and I am certainly in that group.

An example of that booing recently was for instance Cormier vs Anderson Silva. His style is just not popular with a lot of fans I think. He's one of the fighters who really comes across as a decent, sympathetic guy but the attempts to end a game through the grappling is just not a great watch.

As for pure stand up disciplines, I like those as well. Definitely a fan of the K1.

This recency bias around the narrative of Cormier being a boring fighter or pure wrestler is...galling.  He didn't want to strike with Anderson Silva and Rumble...tough. It was a late fight no one had to take, and as mentioned those same fans cheered when Lesnar was doing the same thing to a fighter that was far less successful from the bottom. 

But this whole grappling divide is as old as the time. 

I don't mind the grappling as long as something happens. There are far too many times when someone gets a take down and basically just holds the other person. They may move around a little but the majority of the time its just holding. I have no interest in that and boo even at home! People have the ability to boo, just like they can cheer when they see something they like.

On 8/31/2016 at 1:21 AM, dbunting said:

I don't mind the grappling as long as something happens. There are far too many times when someone gets a take down and basically just holds the other person. They may move around a little but the majority of the time its just holding. I have no interest in that and boo even at home! People have the ability to boo, just like they can cheer when they see something they like.

Sure, but the same thing happens in stand-up battles, where neither fighter will really commit to offensive action and it becomes a staring contest. Or even worse, in boxing, a hug-athon.

16 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

the talk of GSP coming back just won't go away, if he does come back and fights Conor, how badly does he manhandle him, and how many ppv buys?

How long has it been since GSP fought and how old is he? Would Conor actually want to fight an actual welterweight at 170?

I think Conor has a chance, but most likely it's going to be like GSP v Penn III

He's only 35 actually.

I think Conor will have, or should have, learnt his lesson about fighting bigger guys now.

I could see him fight Alvarez for the lightweight belt, which is the division he seems best suited for, but I could see him continue at FW as well.

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 4:27 PM, Davrum said:

Sure, but the same thing happens in stand-up battles, where neither fighter will really commit to offensive action and it becomes a staring contest. Or even worse, in boxing, a hug-athon.

True, and they just begin dancing around, this is equally as annoying as laying on each other.

Overeem is one of those who has looked surprisingly sharp since USADA started poking their noses around the UFC. As he's aged (and shrunk) he's leaned more and more on craft, and with more than a decade and a half in the game he's learned a thing or two, even if it's sometimes seemed his chin has seen better days.

Stipe is one of the more technical strikers at HW too, so this could be a cracker or it could be a staring contest for long-ish stretches. Either way I have no idea who to pick.

Can someone give me a quick run-down of the Brook - Golovkin fight? Is it just Brook doing a hail mary by going up a (more?) weight class(es) and fighting a man who's never even been knocked to the canvas? Is there any chance of an upset?

1 hour ago, Mmerek Hamšzulíe said:

Is there any chance of an upset?

Not really. Brook is a really good boxer, but he's a guy with a relatively open defence jumping up two weights to fight a guy who's a monster at that weight but also a great boxer. With his style, he'd really need to back GGG up to beat him and he's not gonna.

I think he might show more while it lasts than some people are expecting, though.

If Kell can take GGG the distance it can be considered a moral victory, even if he loses 10 rounds in the process. If Kell wins, grab onto something well-tethered to the ground, because the Universe may be about to implode.

EDIT: Now I see them both in the ring I'd like to adjust my margin for moral victory to Kell surviving past the 7th round.

Just got home and saw like a minute of the fight before the towel was thrown in. Was it as bad a decision to do that as Hopkins was saying? Triple G was working him pretty good but it wasn't that bad.

ETA: Golovkin's face when he realized it was being stopped was priceless. He seemed more disappointed than Brooks. He also just gave his performance a 3-4 rating out of 10. How demoralizing that must be for an opponent.

Archived