What is the point of Daario?

Just now, Adam Targaryen said:

Yeah I don't think there's a single person who is the Harpy. The Harpy is just a symbol of Slaver's Bay and Old Ghis, the slavers' ancestral homeland, I believe.

The point of Daario is for him to be Euron in disguise. At least in the books. Since we're discussing the show here, they can simply recast Daario a second time. This time as Mads Mikkelsen, this time for good.

idk if your serious about that second part or not, but...

Spoiler

The knew Aeron chapter should finally put that theory to bed.  Euron has been on the shield isles and the Arbor since Victarion left for Slavers Bay, he hasn't been sailing back and forth as some of suggested.

2 minutes ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

idk if your serious about that second part or not, but...

Hide contents

The knew Aeron chapter should finally put that theory to bed.  Euron has been on the shield isles and the Arbor since Victarion left for Slavers Bay, he hasn't been sailing back and forth as some of suggested.

I was half-joking, but I do believe Daario = Euron would make sense and be an AWESOME reveal! I read the chapter, but I think it can still be possible in some way. Anyways, this isn't the proper thread for such discussions

1 hour ago, Quyen Thuy Tran said:

I'm still puzzled lol. In the book, she's like "Daario is soooooooo hot" all and all. In the show she cuts it so easily. Will he follows her to Westeros and make a fuss, who knows, maybe he will be one of the betrayals she will know. 

She is 14 in the books. She is older in the show (20 or 21?) that is the difference.

2 hours ago, SevasTra82 said:

So Basically...

After 2+ seasons, Dany just decides to leave Mereen in the hands of a Mercenary, and never even finds out who the Harpy is?  And this will probably be the last time we see Essos?

...Ooookayy.....

So Basically...

Someone is actually complaining that all the riveting Meereen subplots haven't been properly wrapped up before Dany departs to conquer the 7K?

...WTF...

:lol:

1 hour ago, Adam Targaryen said:

Yeah I don't think there's a single person who is the Harpy. The Harpy is just a symbol of Slaver's Bay and Old Ghis, the slavers' ancestral homeland, I believe.

The point of Daario is for him to be Euron in disguise. At least in the books. Since we're discussing the show here, they can simply recast Daario a second time. This time as Mads Mikkelsen, this time for good.

That's a joke, right? Please say yes, please!

1 hour ago, xjlxking said:

Hello! 

Thats like saying what was the point of that Martell who's name I already forgot... You know he guy that was burnt up by the dragons...

I'm pretty sure it was Arsenio Martell. Poor poor Arsenio.

3 minutes ago, Adam Targaryen said:

It was a joke in a way, but regarding the books I'm a serious supporter of Daario = Euron. Will never aplogize for that. Look up all of the "evidence".

I see how you put evidence in quotations. Good call  :lol:

He

6 minutes ago, AGS Martell said:

Perhaps he'll encounter Euron Greyjoy

Hopefully they will fight to the death over who gets to marry Dany, and end up each giving the other a mortal wound.

Of course I suppose with those two its just as likely they will fall instantly in love with each other and level half of Mereen in a hurricane of buggery.

23 hours ago, tugela said:

I believe his purpose was to give the ladies a reason to watch the show :)

Ding Ding, this is probably closest to the real answer of why he has been adapted as he has.

6 hours ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

Didn't they just establish that there was no 1 harpy but that the slavers Tyrion meets with are funding the resistance and are simply known as the Harpy?

Yes, this was my understanding as well.  I feel like the books gave some more meat to the political situation in Mereen, and it wasn't just dudes running around in masks.  Par for the course.

I'm wondering if we might be done with Daario.  If memory serves, in the book he pretty much peaces out when things start getting rough and betrays her in that way.  Maybe he'll betray her here too?  I'm hoping not, that he's just done.  In the books the betrayal comes from it simply being his nature.  On the show it would now look like it's b/c he's a jilted boyfriend.  Lame.

Honestly, I think the writers just wanted Dany in Westeros and didn't really care about wrapping up the plot in a realistic way to accomodate this. Daario and his mercenaries are going to stay and help police Meereen? Meereen are going to choose their own leaders? OK. If you say so. Doesn't seem at all realistic, but whatever. At least Dany is finally leaving that effing continent.

2 hours ago, Sigrid said:

Ding Ding, this is probably closest to the real answer of why he has been adapted as he has.

Yes, this was my understanding as well.  I feel like the books gave some more meat to the political situation in Mereen, and it wasn't just dudes running around in masks.  Par for the course.

I'm wondering if we might be done with Daario.  If memory serves, in the book he pretty much peaces out when things start getting rough and betrays her in that way.  Maybe he'll betray her here too?  I'm hoping not, that he's just done.  In the books the betrayal comes from it simply being his nature.  On the show it would now look like it's b/c he's a jilted boyfriend.  Lame.

Dario has not betrayed her in the books, there are lots of theories but frankly they are not grounded in reality.  He is currently being held prisoner by the Yunkish, Dany sent 3 prisoners before the Yunkish agreed to enter the city for the re opening of the slave pits. The Yunkish killed admiral Groleo, but have not killed Dario as far as we know.  Barristan made a deal with The Tattered Prince to have him free the hostages when he turns his cloak.  As far as we know he has done this and Dario is safe as of Tyrion 2 when the Yunkish tell the second sons that things are not going well.

8 hours ago, El Guapo said:

She is 14 in the books. She is older in the show (20 or 21?) that is the difference.

I think Daenerys is 15 or 16 when she has a relationship with Daario.  It's a perfect age for a girl to be charmed by a bad boy/fighter type; particularly one who was growing up too fast and who might want a passionate relationship with no strings attached...

On 6/27/2016 at 8:44 AM, mafro987daboss said:

Now that Daenerys has dismissed him, what was his purpose in the first place, and will we see him again considering all the major players are in (or heading in the direction of) Westeros?

It seems the role of 'The Harpy' is not significant....

I remain quite surprised that Dany left Daario and the Second Sons behind, and took Missandei, Grey Worm and the Unsullied with her.

Although I like Grey Worm and Missandei quite a bit as characters, they are MUCH more well suited to stay behind and be administrators of Mereen than Daario, for numerous reasons.

In any event, I'll be shocked even more if we've seen the last of Daario.

Daario was her instinct towards Fire and Blood. The one who pushed her towards ruthless conquering. Every time she had a problem, Daario suggested the most violent solution. He wanted the Slaver families murdered, he wanted her dragons unleashed, he wanted her to unleash her strength and not dwell on consequences. Even in the show, he tells her that she's not meant to sit on a chair, she's meant to conquer. 

Tyrion is the opposite. He's the one who tempers her natural instincts towards Fire and Blood, the one who lays out her potential consequences, the one who finds less violent solutions to her problems. 

Makes sense that it would be Tyrion who tells her to leave him behind. She can't rule with Daario in her ear whispering violent thoughts, she needs a steady hand and a clear head.

17 hours ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

Dario has not betrayed her in the books, there are lots of theories but frankly they are not grounded in reality.  He is currently being held prisoner by the Yunkish, Dany sent 3 prisoners before the Yunkish agreed to enter the city for the re opening of the slave pits. The Yunkish killed admiral Groleo, but have not killed Dario as far as we know.  Barristan made a deal with The Tattered Prince to have him free the hostages when he turns his cloak.  As far as we know he has done this and Dario is safe as of Tyrion 2 when the Yunkish tell the second sons that things are not going well.

Thanks.  It's been awhile since I read the books and I think I must have gotten Daario confused with another character.

Archived