Who can Dany marry in Westeros?

norwaywolf123

1 hour ago, Iron Mother said:

I don't even think it is incest.  Completely different family on mother's side, and nephew on the familial side.  At least they didn't start fooling around IN THE WOMB.

It's incest. of course it's better than Jaime and Cersei but still their child got pretty decent chance to turn out mad. From what I know Aerys was  going crazy over the time. Look at Viserys. He wasn't held anywhere and yet he was on the run to being Aerys worthy succesor in termsof being mad .

1 hour ago, Lord Stannis-The True King said:

She's his Aunt. Her brother is his father. That is, by definition, incest.

it's your probably valid opinion but not in context.  Discounting his Stark "half" means a lot when it comes to calling something "incest".  Rhaegar is not his mother AND father.

8 minutes ago, Iron Mother said:

Rhaegar is not his mother AND father.

That is true. Although Human Beings don't reproduce A-Sexually, so I find it hard to see the relevance of your statement.

All kidding aside though, the actual definition of incest is sexual relations between members of the same family. An aunt-nephew pairing is incestuous and has in real life resulted in birth defects due to shared genetics. In game of thrones terms, it would certainly result in madness, especially given the extreme inbreeding the Targarian line has already endured.

9 minutes ago, Lord Stannis-The True King said:

That is true. Although Human Beings don't reproduce A-Sexually, so I find it hard to see the relevance of your statement.

All kidding aside though, the actual definition of incest is sexual relations between members of the same family. An aunt-nephew pairing is incestuous and has in real life resulted in birth defects due to shared genetics. In game of thrones terms, it would certainly result in madness, especially given the extreme inbreeding the Targarian line has already endured.

That's the modern definition.

By Westerosi standards, Aunt/Nephew and Uncle/Niece, while not common, certainly not as common as first cousin/first cousin pairings (which are fairly common), is entirely acceptable. Westeros defines unacceptable consanguinity (ie, incest) to be siblings, half-siblings, and ancestor/descendant pairings.

The Targaryens got away with sibling and half-sibling pairings because it was a Valyrian tradition carried with them and they had dragons to keep people from objecting for long enough to turn it into a (grudgingly) accepted tradition for them to continue, and thus they could continue to get away with it even after they didn't have dragons anymore.

Daenerys has dragons, and she grew up expecting to marry Viserys. She is decidedly unlikely to object to marrying Jon because he's her nephew (assuming she believes R+L=J) - that might even make him more desirable to her. Any objection to Jon getting married to Daenerys because they're related would come from Jon, or other parties.

And, as far as inbreeding causing genetic defects ... the effects of inbreeding on genetics usually goes one of two ways, either lots of bad traits, or ending up with nearly none at all. It all depends on how the breeding is handled - if you're careful to only breed those without defects, you end up breeding out most or all of the potential defects. In other words, you end up at one end of the spectrum or the other.

It does not appear that the Targaryens post-Conquest have been especially careful as regard the breeding of defective traits. This is likely due to the limited breeding population that they were working with.

I suspect in Valyria the noble houses were quite careful to breed out defective traits. This would have given the Targaryens some degree of cushion in their lack of care, if most or all defects were new mutations or those brought in through marriage outside the bloodline.

25 minutes ago, Lord Stannis-The True King said:

it's half incest.  It isn't full aunt or full nephew.  There is Stark blood involved... and seeing as it was the Targ Way to do that, it seems reasonable.  It got me thinking, the Militant Sept did exist at one point, and were thrown down by I believe Maegor and it could have been they disapproved of this very thing.

Think tho... are they calling Maester Balabar for a blood test?  They don't have such things in GoT, WE the audience know the score, what if they fall in love before knowing.  Honestly, I think Joneahrys would have issue with it but he broke vows before by swimming with the Wydling ginger... and Dany would not see any problem with it, in fact in the book fAegon EXPECTS she will marry him to restart to Targ dynasty. 

So I guess it comes down to do we as the viewer side with the 7 god religion that apparently abhors such things, or the custom of the ancient House Targaryens who were breeding eveen as close as brother and sister for centuries.  Both viewpoints are valid.  I don't personally have a problem with it.  Some people are saying Jaeherys will get involved with Sansa and that's even a closer incest union being half brother and sister.  Rather, half cousins?  My brain is failing on the relationships involved :ph34r:

20 minutes ago, Kytheros said:

And, as far as inbreeding causing genetic defects ... the effects of inbreeding on genetics usually goes one of two ways, either lots of bad traits, or ending up with nearly none at all. It all depends on how the breeding is handled - if you're careful to only breed those without defects, you end up breeding out most or all of the potential defects. In other words, you end up at one end of the spectrum or the other.

Actually that's not how inbreeding works at all. Birth defects and severe genetic predisposition to ailments are caused by the redundancy of the shared genetics. You don't have enough new genetic material to properly diversify genetic traits. 

"Offspring of biologically related parents are subject to the possible impact of inbreeding. Such offspring have a higher possibility of congenital birth defects because it increases the proportion of zygotes that are homozygous for deleteriousrecessive alleles that produce such disorders. Because most such alleles are rare in populations, it is unlikely that two unrelated marriage partners will both be heterozygous carriers. However, because close relatives share a large fraction of their alleles, the probability that any such rare deleterious allele present in the common ancestor will be inherited from both related parents is increased dramatically with respect to non-inbred couples. "

18 minutes ago, Iron Mother said:

it's half incest.  It isn't full aunt or full nephew. 

Do you even understand familial relationships? She is his "Full-Aunt". Her "Full-Brother" is his "Full-Father" making it "Full-Incest".

Could we just wait for calling Jon Jaeharys and call him as he is Jon.

We don't even know if she whispered any real name or if it was that he's Rhaegar's as some pointed. Or of it is Jaeharys even tho Aemon is way more fitting considring evidence in the boks as Jon's favourite hero, his mentor and him saying "Iam not Aemon Targaryen"

Daeny wouldn't have any problems with this but Jon might. But of course realm is at the stake so but who knows they might not know they're related but I think Jon will know next season. Bran will learn more and tell Jon. Since Daeny will control large part of Westeros, it matters what she says and then Jon who own other part. Vale and Riverlands remains to be seen. It's incest and it matter what Jon thinks of it.

1 hour ago, Lord Stannis-The True King said:

Actually that's not how inbreeding works at all. Birth defects and severe genetic predisposition to ailments are caused by the redundancy of the shared genetics. You don't have enough new genetic material to properly diversify genetic traits. 

"Offspring of biologically related parents are subject to the possible impact of inbreeding. Such offspring have a higher possibility of congenital birth defects because it increases the proportion of zygotes that are homozygous for deleteriousrecessive alleles that produce such disorders. Because most such alleles are rare in populations, it is unlikely that two unrelated marriage partners will both be heterozygous carriers. However, because close relatives share a large fraction of their alleles, the probability that any such rare deleterious allele present in the common ancestor will be inherited from both related parents is increased dramatically with respect to non-inbred couples. "

Do you even understand familial relationships? She is his "Full-Aunt". Her "Full-Brother" is his "Full-Father" making it "Full-Incest".

I knew someone was going to search online and post the clinical version of incest.  This was inevitable.

OMLOL

So you are personally offended and outraged over this?  You can't see it from a Targaryen Custom point of view?  That's all I said.  In fact, I validated your viewpoint a couple pages ago.

Are you a Sept Militant?  Are you disturbed the barefoot bird is no longer around to command L-L-Lancelll to go beat them with those spiked clubs?  Would you Shame Shame Shame Daenerys and shorn her hair for being an incest-monger?  Parade her through the streets and throw dung at her?  At Joeneryns?  Is that YOUR personal thought in this matter?  Because, after all, we are talking about non-existant characters from a book.  All that matters is we want to know what YOU think about all this incestuary hookup going on in Westeros.  Should I say POTENTIAL and SUPPOSED and even ALLEGED (dreamed?) incestuary get togethers between partial Targaryens and actual Targaryens?

What will happen when the dragons start to breed, will you cast wyldefire on then for incest?  They are lizzards, sure, but what does the FAITH have to say on this?  We have to wait for Sam to descend from Old Town like Moses with the Law to determine if all this is right.  What does the Lord of Light say on these matters?  What about the Old Gods?  So does that make you a ardent follower of the Seven?  Are  you preaching a religion here based on 2016 culture on planet earth in a world created by GRR  Martin?  Do we even know what the Seven Gods want?  It was the barefoot Contesso who interpreted the whole thing.  Personally, I think he wanted Loras for himself.  That gentle, loving curve over his head before they all died.  I saw lust was happening there.  Making him a Sept Sloth for life and branding him even.  Did the High Sparrow want him for a bed-warmer?

These are decisions we have to make for ourselves.  It's funny to think there is incest judgment coming on these matters.... based on religious ideologies of our world instead of Martin's created world.  You spoke of genetic malformities or whatever, is this all because you are concerned Joanherys and Dany will have a crazy or deformed child?  Your concern for their offspring is well-intentioned, OF THAT I am sure.  But it's not Muhammed or Christ on which these things are based. 

I wonder how many people out there in our world are related and have no idea, and have produced children and nothing happened.  In the Western world we have blood tests, etc to check, but in Westeros not so much?  And in Africa or Indonesia?  Or un-contacted tribes in the Amazon............... or the fabled inbreeding of the Southern united states up until even recently.

Where does this all fit?  Not even in World of Ice and Fire are the "gods" and belief systems so specifically described.  So it's up to everyone to make their own decision in Fantasy Land.  If Tolkien's work were more fleshed out, the Elves were most definitely inbreeding and probably the Hobbits and the Dwarves too.  And the people of the Horsemasters and even in Gondor.  Those places are not so big that people are going out searching for "new blood". 

There is inbreeding in the bible and the q'ran.  There was massive inbreeding in Colonial colonies and British High Houses for many hundreds of years.  You have to decide what lens you are looking at this fantasy of Ice and Fire.  I don't think it's right to judge.  That's me.

Also, Westeros is not a huge place.  Over the thousands of years, do you really think the gene pool was so huge as for ALL the houses to not be related on some level?  I  mean EVERYONE from Winterfell to Dorne. Over such a period of time and the choosing of specific brides for specific husbands to move into powerful positions?  I think there is MUCH incest already at work in Westeros (Incesteros??) when you really stop for a moment.  Lysa Arryn and Jon Arryn.  The Vale is a bit close to Riverrun, it is hard to believe there was not previous paternity/maternity between those Houses.  It wouldn't surprise me if Lysa and Jon were ALREADY related on some level.  But they produced Sweet Robyn.  Who knows if this is why SO MANY women in Westeros are having stillborns and dying in beds of blood and childbirth seems so difficult.  It doesn't strike me that it should BE that difficult.  But it is.  Could it be from inbreeding? 

Should Westeros be investigated back into the histories and all marriages be governed by the Sept to say "you are too close in blood to be married" who would care?  Is that going to stop Dorne from marrying their daughter to Rhaegar?  In the book, Arianne talks at length about how there has been long tradition of the Dornish marrying the Dragons.  When you have a single royal family and keep marrying between another single royal family, then Incesteros is upon us.

2 hours ago, Lord Friendzone said:

It's incest. of course it's better than Jaime and Cersei but still their child got pretty decent chance to turn out mad. From what I know Aerys was  going crazy over the time. Look at Viserys. He wasn't held anywhere and yet he was on the run to being Aerys worthy succesor in termsof being mad .

That's not what happened.  His "madness" was not why they were being hunted.  The most Robert B ever said was "that FOOL Viscerys".  They were hunted for being Targaryens.  His father was mad but so were MANY other Targs over the years.  I never heard or read that incest was being blamed for this... for V and D being hunted.  They were a threat to the new ruling authority or Baratheon (a House which apparently doesn't even exist now).

Viscerys didn't really manifest his madness until they got into the Khalassar.  He was mean to Dany but others did not really see that happening.  I cannot commit to "Viscerys was hunted because he was the successor AND was mad, therefore, unfit to rule".  Nothing at all indicates that to me.

1 hour ago, Iron Mother said:

That's not what happened.  His "madness" was not why they were being hunted.  The most Robert B ever said was "that FOOL Viscerys".  They were hunted for being Targaryens.  His father was mad but so were MANY other Targs over the years.  I never heard or read that incest was being blamed for this... for V and D being hunted.  They were a threat to the new ruling authority or Baratheon (a House which apparently doesn't even exist now).

Viscerys didn't really manifest his madness until they got into the Khalassar.  He was mean to Dany but others did not really see that happening.  I cannot commit to "Viscerys was hunted because he was the successor AND was mad, therefore, unfit to rule".  Nothing at all indicates that to me.

He was on the course being like his daddy. Genes played a part in it and their constant inbreeding. Of course plenty of Targaryens were normal and in fact great King and Queens. So it's not just that it's incest but of course other elements plays part in it. But their relationship would be incest or very damn close to it. There is good chance their kid could good or bad one. 

What Ser Barristan said to Daeny "Every time a new Targaryen is born, he said, the gods toss the coin in the air and the world holds it's breath to see how it will land." Cersei said something similiar in the show.

9 hours ago, Lord Friendzone said:

Incest is defined to be sexual relations between two people who are too closely related to legally marry.

If they are prohibited by law, it is incest. If they are not, then it is not.

5 hours ago, Lord Friendzone said:

What Ser Barristan said to Daeny "Every time a new Targaryen is born, he said, the gods toss the coin in the air and the world holds it's breath to see how it will land." Cersei said something similiar in the show.

That's because children of first-degree relatives have around a 50% chance of having congenital physical or mental disabilities, or both.

In the case of the children of Rhaella by her brother Aerys, it was worse than that because their parents were also siblings.  It works out to about a 70% defect rate, which is reflected in Rhaella’s many miscarriages. Dany marrying Viserys would have been very bad.

However, since Rhaegar came out right, he’s quite possibly not the son of Aerys anyway, but of Ser Bonifer Hasty. That would make Jon and Dany little closer than third-degree relations, just like cousin marriage. That would only have about a 5% defect rate., which is certainly no problem.

19 minutes ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

Incest is defined to be sexual relations between two people who are too closely related to legally marry.

If they are prohibited by law, it is incest. If they are not, then it is not.

Did you even read my post, like part of it?

;==

7 hours ago, Iron Mother said:

I knew someone was going to search online and post the clinical version of incest.  This was inevitable.

OMLOL

So you are personally offended and outraged over this?  You can't see it from a Targaryen Custom point of view?  That's all I said.  In fact, I validated your viewpoint a couple pages ago.

Are you a Sept Militant?  Are you disturbed the barefoot bird is no longer around to command L-L-Lancelll to go beat them with those spiked clubs?  Would you Shame Shame Shame Daenerys and shorn her hair for being an incest-monger?  Parade her through the streets and throw dung at her?  At Joeneryns?  Is that YOUR personal thought in this matter?  Because, after all, we are talking about non-existant characters from a book.  All that matters is we want to know what YOU think about all this incestuary hookup going on in Westeros.  Should I say POTENTIAL and SUPPOSED and even ALLEGED (dreamed?) incestuary get togethers between partial Targaryens and actual Targaryens?

What will happen when the dragons start to breed, will you cast wyldefire on then for incest?  They are lizzards, sure, but what does the FAITH have to say on this?  We have to wait for Sam to descend from Old Town like Moses with the Law to determine if all this is right.  What does the Lord of Light say on these matters?  What about the Old Gods?  So does that make you a ardent follower of the Seven?  Are  you preaching a religion here based on 2016 culture on planet earth in a world created by GRR  Martin?  Do we even know what the Seven Gods want?  It was the barefoot Contesso who interpreted the whole thing.  Personally, I think he wanted Loras for himself.  That gentle, loving curve over his head before they all died.  I saw lust was happening there.  Making him a Sept Sloth for life and branding him even.  Did the High Sparrow want him for a bed-warmer?

These are decisions we have to make for ourselves.  It's funny to think there is incest judgment coming on these matters.... based on religious ideologies of our world instead of Martin's created world.  You spoke of genetic malformities or whatever, is this all because you are concerned Joanherys and Dany will have a crazy or deformed child?  Your concern for their offspring is well-intentioned, OF THAT I am sure.  But it's not Muhammed or Christ on which these things are based. 

I wonder how many people out there in our world are related and have no idea, and have produced children and nothing happened.  In the Western world we have blood tests, etc to check, but in Westeros not so much?  And in Africa or Indonesia?  Or un-contacted tribes in the Amazon............... or the fabled inbreeding of the Southern united states up until even recently.

Where does this all fit?  Not even in World of Ice and Fire are the "gods" and belief systems so specifically described.  So it's up to everyone to make their own decision in Fantasy Land.  If Tolkien's work were more fleshed out, the Elves were most definitely inbreeding and probably the Hobbits and the Dwarves too.  And the people of the Horsemasters and even in Gondor.  Those places are not so big that people are going out searching for "new blood". 

There is inbreeding in the bible and the q'ran.  There was massive inbreeding in Colonial colonies and British High Houses for many hundreds of years.  You have to decide what lens you are looking at this fantasy of Ice and Fire.  I don't think it's right to judge.  That's me.

Also, Westeros is not a huge place.  Over the thousands of years, do you really think the gene pool was so huge as for ALL the houses to not be related on some level?  I  mean EVERYONE from Winterfell to Dorne. Over such a period of time and the choosing of specific brides for specific husbands to move into powerful positions?  I think there is MUCH incest already at work in Westeros (Incesteros??) when you really stop for a moment.  Lysa Arryn and Jon Arryn.  The Vale is a bit close to Riverrun, it is hard to believe there was not previous paternity/maternity between those Houses.  It wouldn't surprise me if Lysa and Jon were ALREADY related on some level.  But they produced Sweet Robyn.  Who knows if this is why SO MANY women in Westeros are having stillborns and dying in beds of blood and childbirth seems so difficult.  It doesn't strike me that it should BE that difficult.  But it is.  Could it be from inbreeding? 

Should Westeros be investigated back into the histories and all marriages be governed by the Sept to say "you are too close in blood to be married" who would care?  Is that going to stop Dorne from marrying their daughter to Rhaegar?  In the book, Arianne talks at length about how there has been long tradition of the Dornish marrying the Dragons.  When you have a single royal family and keep marrying between another single royal family, then Incesteros is upon us.

This here is the post on the table.  Don't tun away from it or just begin posting the reblog (blank) of your friends' posts. 

DIG DEEP

If you can't comprehend it or can't approach it in psychological dynamics, there are many other threads you might do well in.

So part of this is when 2020 rolls around and the term "Incesteros" has already come and gone as a legitimate thing here, let's not have to go round and round about who created such a witty phrase in the first place.  A Woman has many faces, and she is VERY tired.

On 6/28/2016 at 3:04 PM, Mister Stoneheart said:

I agree with you, but the show won't have Jon marry Dany because of the incest.

On 6/28/2016 at 3:11 PM, House_Tony_Stark said:

That just sounds like what you would personally prefer to happen. The Targaryan's have always married inside their family.....and the show has already had multiple in family relationships. (Lannisters & Dorne).

The Targaryns certainly have NOT "... always married inside their family". Targaryen incest & Targaryen madness have been grossly exaggerated by fandom & especially by the TV show. "The World of Ice & Fire" has a very detailed family tree of house Targaryen. After Aegon's conquest, & especially after the extinction of their dragons, the Targaryens began marrying "out" with increasing frequency . Daenerys's parents, the mad king Aerys II & his sister-wife queen Rhaella, were themselves the first Targaryens in about a century to have been born of a union of relatives, in this case the brother-sister union of king Jaehaerys II & his sister Shaera..

9 hours ago, Iron Mother said:

OMLOL

Ok. I'll make this clear and put it in very simple terms for you to understand. I don't care what anyone else does in their person life... at all. I do care if the leader of a great and powerful nation does something that would put the country in the hands of a madman. My opinion on this matter has nothing to do with any religion real or fictional. It's a very simple equation. In the world of Game of Thrones, Incest brings madness and the seven kingdoms are ruled by a royal monarchy. That means that the crazy incest child would inherit the throne. That would be bad. That's it. That's the basis of my argument right there. It's not about religion, it's about the Targarian madness which I do not support. If you do than fine. But I have a hard time believing someone is actually defending the practice of incest on a show that blatantly tells us the practice leads to the likes of Joffry and Aerys II. To me this is a clear example of a fangirl overriding logic just so she can endorse her favorite characters in a romantic pairing. And that is your right. But, I will not pretend as if your argument makes sense or has any logical progression. It does not.

I love to read/watch incest stories! XD because most of them are tragic. Yeah, it's kind of disgusting, but I love tragic and dark and creepy stories!

However....I don't care if Jon/Dany relationship is incest or not, don't make it happen please. I'd like to see my Jon stay single, hahaha.

Dany still can have Euron to dread, or Sweetrobin to manipulate, or even Jaime to whatever she wants.

Archived