Daily Annoyance, The Eternal

Datepalm

People parking in handicap spots that aren't handicap. And unfortunately for the woman who did so when I just happened to see it today, she caught an earful. As someone who once needed to use these spots for a few months after an accident almost took off my leg, the ignorance of people using them because it's closer or it's too fucking cold out to walk the extra 40 feet to the door from a normal spot just pisses me off.

On 8. 12. 2016 at 11:59 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

Microsoft Word. Always. 

Or people who cannot use it? I today asked the same person at work again to use the comments and "follow changes" function because asking them the first time not to change colour and strike through any words - which the program will make automatically if you follow the changes! - and not to put comments directly into the text, but into the comment area, is apparently not enough.

So I made the mistake of reading the comments section on Mark Zuckerburg's Facebblark post about screening for fake news.  Seemed like over half of the people responding are calling it an attack on freedom of speech or censorship.   It's like that feeling you get when your a passenger in a car and then tens of thousands of people push the ignorance pedal to the floor.

On 15/12/2016 at 0:55 AM, Theda Baratheon said:

only a couple months into my masters and i already want to quit and just curl into a ball and have no responsibilities forever i feel so sick and pathetic and just useless i hated university so why i thought a masters would be a good idea is fucking beyond me

University is the worst. :-( I'm sorry you're feeling lousy...I probably won't reveal anything new to you if I suggest a lot of it the baggage that follows us around everywhere rather than university per se, but what I can say about master's programs, is that there's a lot more room for actually getting to know your professors a bit, and one of the things that have more or less gotten me through this year was having one or two ocassionally engage in the exact question of why I thought a masters was a good idea...Seriously, if you're feeling like you're swamped under all this and not sure what you're doing there, show up for your favorite prof's office hours and chat about, well, that. Maybe not that plainly (plus, I suppose the lot of you have to talk obliquely about everything just because you're all British.) but you can bring up career (and life) plans and whether this is the place to be for them or if you're finding one or another of your classes particularly interesting or boring or whathaveyou. Establishing some relationships there, so it's not just a giant building you're showing up to a few times a week and drifting through without having any sense of connection to it, can help...at least, its helped me.

On the note of academic oblivion, I've had the strongest urge all day to, well, self-harm, that I've had in a long time. (Altenatively, email Crazy Economist Crush Guy with something hurtful. It feels like entirely the same impulse, which is disturbing in and of itself. A sort of dialectic of gaining and surrendering of control mixed with a need for something to just burn for a bit. Maybe I should just get some scented candles.) I mean, it's been close to two years since I've actually done anything, and a decent while since the particular pressure of it has been there in any substantative way. And usually I can point at whatever's going on. Today is just out of the blue and I can't figure out the underlying...anything. It's been a good week, overally. Being back home again and catching myself spiralling into self-sabotaging levels of procrastination, maybe. I got a polite rejection from a professor I'd been in touch with about a research proposal (since when am I too empirical?) but it's genuinely no big deal (i'm more concerned about needing to now figure out where else to put on my to-apply-to list, since i've been told it's too short, and feeling like I should follow up and contact the person she strongly recommended, while also knowing his work pretty well and feeling like there's a big disassociation with what I'm interested in - he did a single closely related case study. Ok, yeah, I'm not sure why I'm doing a masters either something), and I think the self-harm thing was there before anyway. I'm also just not entirely crazy about putting that much energy and thought into analyzing myself and drawing more baroque diagrams of my psyche and all that. I just want it to go away.

Yeah, well, tommorow is a busy new week, yay. Whatever happened to our mental health thread?

I met a woman at this event thing yesterday, we sort of nodded and smiled in the hallway when it was clear we had friends in common. We then happened to bump into each other whilst looking for the bathroom, and she insisted on trying to carry on a conversation while we were in the bathroom stalls and when I wouldn't really play along (the only thing wierder than people who chitchat whilst on the toilet are people who make phone calls on the toilet. Just no.) she started singing in there. It was completely bizarre. Like, she was a nice lady and all but there are some things which should wait until you've known someone for at least an hour.

Today I was woken up by the phone ringing at 5 am. 

Was it something important, like a friend informing me, that Trump has taken office early and decided to launch a nuclear strike against China? 

Nah. It was a female voice with a thick Indian accent claiming to be from Microsoft. So my precious sleep was ended prematurely by some Indian call center agent trying to pull off that Indian Microsoft Scam. And I thought that one died out years ago. Great way to start the week. 

1. Working on a Word document with a person who does not understand the function of "Follow changes" and the comments.

2. Being called by a person who won't stop talking for 20 minutes just when you were about to leave the office.

3. The person under 1. and 2. being the same person.

I am flabbergasted by how hostile and rude the guy I was doing a voluntary internship for was when I said I wanted to quit. My moves with them were embarrassing, to be fully honest. I made mistakes I don't plan on making again, and I don't blame him for being upset. I am still flabbergasted by his reaction. It was very hostile and dramatic -- very unprofessional. It actually worried me a little -- I blocked his email. I couldn't help but wonder if more nasty emails would follow. I don't want him harassing me.

1 hour ago, Myrcella Waters said:

I am flabbergasted by how hostile and rude the guy I was doing a voluntary internship for was when I said I wanted to quit. My moves with them were embarrassing, to be fully honest. I made mistakes I don't plan on making again, and I don't blame him for being upset. I am still flabbergasted by his reaction. It was very hostile and dramatic -- very unprofessional. It actually worried me a little -- I blocked his email. I couldn't help but wonder if more nasty emails would follow. I don't want him harassing me.

That seems strangely personal to reach that way 

10 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

That seems strangely personal to reach that way 

I don't quite understand what you mean, but if you meant him being personal -- he actually did personally attack me in his email. That was one reason why it upset me so much. I have never seen a manager speak that way. I wasn't even getting paid, lol.

15 minutes ago, Myrcella Waters said:

I don't quite understand what you mean, but if you meant him being personal -- he actually did personally attack me in his email. That was one reason why it upset me so much. I have never seen a manager speak that way. I wasn't even getting paid, lol.

Thats what i meant. He seems like he is acting too personal. Very strange. Good thing to block him - keep yourself safe. 

Just now, Theda Baratheon said:

Thats what i meant. He seems like he is acting too personal. Very strange. Good thing to block him - keep yourself safe. 

Alright, thanks for being understanding!

I think it's all most likely done, thankfully, and I feel okay now. But yes, he's staying blocked lol.

Oh, and since I just saw it:

Good luck with your masters school! I am in a MS program and I can sympathize with it being hard work. I think you'll make the right decision for yourself in regards to your future with it. I hope you feel better and come to a resolution soon.

• 3 weeks later...

I often order medium cokes at Mcdonald's even though it costs the same as a large because I find the large to be too watery. Recently, several times they have given me large ones. I'm too embarrassed to make a big deal out of it and get a medium one, so I'm stuck with this watery crap. I guess they reason that I couldn't possibly not want those extra ounces of watery coke. Arg.

Oh, also Brits getting to watch Taboo and Sherlock before us. 

5 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

I often order medium cokes at Mcdonald's even though it costs the same as a large because I find the large to be too watery. Recently, several times they have given me large ones. I'm too embarrassed to make a big deal out of it and get a medium one, so I'm stuck with this watery crap. I guess they reason that I couldn't possibly not want those extra ounces of watery coke. Arg.

Oh, also Brits getting to watch Taboo and Sherlock before us. 

You get everything else before us :box: Enjoy the few days of spoiler dodging, and beware, it's a real minefield :P 

(Just imagine how we felt during the months of waiting for Orphan Black season 3 :rolleyes: Thank goodness Netflix streamed it this year)

eta: got an email today from uni with my required reading for a new module I'm doing. The book they want me to buy is somewhere in the region of £80, and I'll need it for a grand total of 4-5 months. :rolleyes: joy

Not an annoyance (yet) but I thought it amusing that the current ice storm ravaging the Midwest is called Jupiter. Amusing, because Spartacus is one of my favorite shows of the past 5-6 years. I live in an area where Jupiter's icy cock is currently screwing people. :P

Stay safe out there. 

Archived