US Elections: If you experience a painful election...

Larry of the Lawn

1 minute ago, OldGimletEye said:

So here is question:

Let's say your a person not fortunate enough to have employer sponsored health care.

And now you have a health insurance through the ACA.

What are you going to do when you wake up one day, to find your health insurance gone, and taken from you by some hypocritical jack asses, who complain about gubment handouts, but don't have one iota of a frickin clue that their own employer sponsored health insurance is made possible through a government subsidy - ie the tax code.

I know the answer: blame Obama and double down on voting Republican.

4 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

So here is question:

Let's say your a person not fortunate enough to have employer sponsored health care.

What are you going to do when you wake up one day, to find your health insurance gone, and taken from you by some hypocritical jack asses, who complain about gubment handouts, but don't have one iota of a frickin clue that their own employer sponsored health insurance is made possible through a government subsidy - ie the tax code.

I would imagine you'd be thankful that you had money saved up from not having to pay a monthly premium that got jacked up over 100% when you were healthy and didn't need it.

4 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

So here is question:

Well I'd schedule as many medical services as I needed to happen within the next couple months (though in all likelihood any repeal would include a sunset transitional period, maybe until the end of 2017), and if I qualified I'd consider moving to one of the states that would keep the Medicaid expansion even if Federal funding for disappeared (there were a few that had it already prior to Obamacare).

It really surprised me when I woke up this morning and discovered that Trump is President Elect. I am still in a state of disbelief.

More concerning to me is that we have a Republican President Elect and a Congressional Republican majority.

Leaving aside my personal political preference the question I now have is who the President Elect will nominate to his cabinet and who will Congress approve.

Top four concerns are Dept of State, Treasury, Defense and Justice.

Oy, the game of thrones. Anyone think the Hand, VP Pence, a six term Senator will be President Trump’s go to man?

So CNN has Hillary Clinton up in the national popular vote by 200K at the moment. That's got to hurt the Clinton camp. It's probably a harder loss to take if you win, but the system makes you lose, than if you lose the NPV.

I wonder what would have happened if the US presidency was decided by a NPV preferrential voting system, which candidate would have got to 50%+1 on the second preferences? It's hard to see the Bernie supporters having really voted 3rd party in large numbers since Clinton did actually win the election. And given the majority of the 3rd party vote went to the libertarians I have to assume that most of their second preferences would be Republican. But maybe that's a false assumption.

5 minutes ago, Bold Barry Whitebeard said:

I would imagine you'd be thankful that you had money saved up from not having to pay a monthly premium that got jacked up over 100% when you were healthy and didn't need it.

Now that's a really dumb answer. And reading some of the idiotic stuff you've written, I'm not surprised. For one, those increases apply to one specific market. And the premiums are at original CBO projections. And if you get subsidy the premium hike isn't as bad.

And as the markets stabilize it is likely we won't see premiums increase as much in the future.

Plus, there is the fact you are able to get insurance whether or not you have a pre-existing condition.

And it would have been helpful if the state you lived in, actually took time to build the market exchanges.

6 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Top four concerns are Dept of State, Treasury, Defense and Justice.

Oy, the game of thrones. Anyone think the Hand, VP Pence, a six term Senator will be President Trump’s go to man?

Defense: Michael Lynch

Justice: Rudy Giuliani

State: Newt Gingrich

That's what the campaign was sort of saying before the election. Dunno about Treasury.

I'm reading up on Lynch.

6 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Now that's a really dumb answer. And reading some of the idiotic stuff you've written, I'm not surprised. For one, those increases apply to one specific market. And the premiums are at original CBO projections. And if you get subsidy the premium hike isn't as bad.

And as the markets stabilize it is likely we won't see premiums increase as much in the future.

Plus, there is the fact you are able to get insurance whether or not you have a pre-existing condition.

And it would have been helpful if the state you lived in, actually took time to build the market exchanges.

And yet rising premiums is one of the reasons Hillary lost the rust belt.  Most people will never need it, and many can't afford paying for it.  Just because it is at a CBO projection doesn't mean it's affordable.  "Oh, a subsidy makes it not as bad"  And maybe they'll stabilize in the future.  Blah blah blah.

Yeah, some people probably will get screwed when they have a medical emergency.  The vast majority of healthy people won't experience that though, and they'll be happy to have that extra couple hundred dollars in their bank account every month.

Just because you value something doesn't mean everyone else does. 

3 minutes ago, Ariadne23 said:

Defense: Michael Lynch

Justice: Rudy Giuliani

State: Newt Gingrich

That's what the campaign was sort of saying before the election. Dunno about Treasury.

I'm reading up on Lynch.

What's Chris Christie getting? Attorney General?

5 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

Judging from facebook it has something to do with mass murdering anyone that doesn't have blonde hair and blue eyes.

Surely that would be an "or" blonde hair or blue eyes, it is a bit too narrow to have to meet both criteria.

I think it was on 538 that I read one poll saying that among white voters 30-something % of them believe that minorities have an advantage in the USA. 30+% of white people think that not only is there no such thing as white privilege (which has been debated many times here and lets assume for argument's sake that there is none), but that there is actually minority privilege. It is pretty fair IMO that a poor white person is going to ask "where is my white privilege?", but to look at the the proportionally larger population of poor minorities and say that there is minority advantage in American society is sad, but perhaps not as much of a surprise as I would want it to be.

17 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

So here is question:

apparently, they won't care.  per the previous page comments, this is something liberals believe they should care about, but they don't.  They just want their two guns and ban on abortion.

3 minutes ago, Bold Barry Whitebeard said:

And yet rising premiums is one of the reasons Hillary lost the rust belt.  Most people will never need it, and many can't afford paying for it.  Just because it is at a CBO projection doesn't mean it's affordable.  "Oh, a subsidy makes it not as bad"  And maybe they'll stabilize in the future.  Blah blah blah.

Yeah, some people probably will get screwed when they have a medical emergency.  The vast majority of healthy people won't experience that though, and they'll be happy to have that extra couple hundred dollars in their bank account every month.

LOL. No. The premiums for employer sponsored health insurance were not rising faster than they have historically. In fact, they slowed down.

Now in the conservative mind they might have been rising faster than historically. But what the conservative mind thinks and what happened are often two different things.

1 minute ago, Bold Barry Whitebeard said:

Which is why universal health insurance is shit, and an extremely poor substitute for universal health care and why a lot of UHC supporters don't think Obamacare has worked or was a good solution. But it did seem like the only solution Obama was able to get through Congress. I don't recall what his starting position was though.

Archived