US politics: Heil to the Chief :(

all swedes are racist

45 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

IHT,

You're probably right.  It would take a huge public outcry for the Republican controlled Congress to act and so many Trump supporters think his schtick is just great fun.

Wasn't Nixon impeached by a Republican congress though? It depends on how egregious you consider Watergate to be, in my mind its small potatoes compared to what a Trump Presidency is capable of.

21 minutes ago, theguyfromtheVale said:

Well, Scot. If the US didn't have the Electoral College, we'd now have Hillary and an entirely Republican-controlled Congress. With a proportional or hybrid-proportional House, there'd be Trump with a Republican Senate and a Democratic House. With the will of the people represented both in the presidency and the House, you'd have Hillary with a Dem House and a Rep Senate. All of these should be preferable to you (and they seem preferable to me...)

But no, your pet peeve of protecting rural interests means total control of the minority party because it has more support among rural voters. Congratulations!

I'd also argue that in many ways, unfettered power, while bad in any hands, is more dangerous under the Republican party compared to the Democrats at this time. That might change at some point, but it seems inconceivable now. How a party that gets a minority of the votes can win total control of government should scare the heck out of you... and that's precisely what happened two weeks ago.

Yes, yes indeed it is my fault the Electoral College exists and I clearly haven't been calling for significant reforms to the Electoral College which, without the need for a Constitutional Amendment, would significantly dilute the existing relative balance in favor of smaller states and wouldn't significantly correct the structural protections for incumbents of both parties and wouldn't significantly increase the actual representative nature of the House of Representatives.

No sir, I've been offering unalloyed praise for the Electoral College and the House of Representatives as it exists today.

ETA:

I've also I've never, ever suggested eliminating single member districts in the House and going with State Based proportional representation.  Nope, never said that.  

;)

2 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Wasn't Nixon impeached by a Republican congress though? It depends on how egregious you consider Watergate to be, in my mind its small potatoes compared to what a Trump Presidency is capable of.

Nixon resigned before Articles of Impeachment could be voted on in the House.  Then again that was 40 years ago.  Washington was a very different place then.  Had Trump been up for Watergate he'd have Tweeted about how this is "Just how the game is played.  Everyone knows who I am."

Just now, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Yes, yes indeed it is my fault the Electoral College exists and I clearly haven't been calling for significant reforms to the Electoral College which, without the need for a Constitutional Amendment, would significantly dilute the existing relative balance in favor of smaller states and wouldn't significantly correct the structural protections for incumbents of both parties and wouldn't significantly increase the actual representative nature of the House of Representatives.

No sir, I've been offering unalloyed praise for the Electoral College and the House of Representatives as it exists today.

I apologize. My snark got the better of me. 

The point that this result is an artifact of the Electoral College and the massive overrepresentation of rural interests in House, Senate and presidency (instead of just the Senate) still stands though.

5 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

That was a totally different time, though. The Republicans were still sane and reasonable then. And even Nixon knew that was the likely outcome after firing Cox in the Saturday Night Massacre. The House Judiciary Committee drafted the articles of impeachment, but only six of 17 Republicans joined the Democrats in doing so. 

Edit: As Scot pointed out, Nixon resigned before the articles could be voted on.

http://watergate.info/impeachment/analysis-judiciary-committee-impeachment-votes

I was checking in on what the popular vote count was up to now (1.7 million Hillary lead, and with millions of votes left to count, the lead will only continue to grow) and in the comments sections there were hundreds of people claiming it was fraud - dead people voting, undocumented immigrants voting, people voting twice, etc.  I saw it everywhere, including on right wing sites.  Asked a deplorable family member what they thought about the lead and they spoke as though they thought I were stupid telling me that of course it's fraud.  This is all anecdotal of course, but it's still pretty terrifying to think what these shitbags would have done if Hillary had won the EC after Trump riled them up about how it's all rigged (unless he wins, of course).  These are the pro gun/pro murder people.  

New poll from CNN says a majority of Americans (53%) thinks Trump will do a good job. What's more, 40% say they have a lot of confidence in how he will deal with the economy. This is a better score than any of Obama, George W Bush, Bill Clinton, George H W Bush or Ronald Reagan got on that question at a similar time. And leading on from that,  63% think that the economy will be in good shape a year from now.

So while people may not have voted for him, they seem to now think that having someone like him in charge might not be a bad thing after all.

1 minute ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

New poll from CNN says a majority of Americans (53%) thinks Trump will do a good job. What's more, 40% say they have a lot of confidence in how he will deal with the economy. This is a better score than any of Obama, George W Bush, Bill Clinton, George H W Bush or Ronald Reagan got on that question at a similar time. And leading on from that,  63% think that the economy will be in good shape a year from now.

So while people may not have voted for him, they seem to now think that having someone like him in charge might not be a bad thing after all.

I'd like to see the specifics of that poll. I find it very hard to believe that 53% overall think he'll do a good job. If they do, this country is more brain dead than I thought. 

3 minutes ago, theguyfromtheVale said:

I apologize. My snark got the better of me. 

The point that this result is an artifact of the Electoral College and the massive overrepresentation of rural interests in House, Senate and presidency (instead of just the Senate) still stands though.

It's cool. :)

6 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I was checking in on what the popular vote count was up to now (1.7 million Hillary lead, and with millions of votes left to count, the lead will only continue to grow) and in the comments sections there were hundreds of people claiming it was fraud - dead people voting, undocumented immigrants voting, people voting twice, etc.  I saw it everywhere, including on right wing sites.  Asked a deplorable family member what they thought about the lead and they spoke as though they thought I were stupid telling me that of course it's fraud.  This is all anecdotal of course, but it's still pretty terrifying to think what these shitbags would have done if Hillary had won the EC after Trump riled them up about how it's all rigged (unless he wins, of course).  These are the pro gun/pro murder people.  

Dr.P,

I'd point out that if this is due to "election fraud" it is the most stupid fraud ever perpetrated. Why would anyone want to pad the vote in California where Sec. Clinton already won handily?

Went to CNN to see the specifics of the poll FNR couldn't be bothered to link.  This was at the top of the page.

Trump has no plan to pursue charges against Hillary

President-elect Donald Trump's administration will not pursue further investigations of Hillary Clinton related to her private email server or the Clinton Foundation, Trump's former campaign manager Kellyanne Conway said Tuesday, a significant break from a major campaign promise.

Wonder what the Trumpsters will be saying about this.  Consider the constant chants of "Lock her up" one would think they'd be quite upset.  They'll probably figure out a way to spin this in a way to make it seem like Trump isn't going back on a campaign promise.  

5 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

FNR,

I think Trump will come out of this very well for himself if he can avoid jail time after using the POTUS to line his pockets.  The US, well, not so much.

A year from now, won't most of the positive economic benefits still be momentum from Obama's administration?  Plus, it will take at least that long to start dismantling the ACA (if those assholes even do it now that they actually have the power to do so).  Every economist I've read has said that there will be a year or two of good, then Trump's policies will make shit plummet.  

4 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Dr.P,

I'd point out that if this is due to "election fraud" it is the most stupid fraud ever perpetrated. Why would anyone want to pad the vote in California where Sec. Clinton already won handily?

One would think these people would notice something like that, but they aren't the brightest, I assume. 

8 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Was this poll taken before or after this happened?:

Trump specifically took aim at Zucker, CNN's president, a source told the Post, reportedly telling him: "I hate your network. Everyone at CNN is a liar, and you should be ashamed."

8 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Went to CNN to see the specifics of the poll FNR couldn't be bothered to link.  This was at the top of the page.

Wonder what the Trumpsters will be saying about this.  Consider the constant chants of "Lock her up" one would think they'd be quite upset.  They'll probably figure out a way to spin this in a way to make it seem like Trump isn't going back on a campaign promise.  

I guessed that the Trumpsters may not do this. I mean they're frickin dumb, but maybe not that dumb. They'd have to know this wouldn't go very well for them or was at least fraught with danger.

With regard to Trump supporters, I know, oh I definitely will have to give them a big helpin of shit over this, pointing out the reason it didn't happen was because there was nothing there in the first place.

A year from now, won't most of the positive economic benefits still be momentum from Obama's administration?  Plus, it will take at least that long to start dismantling the ACA (if those assholes even do it now that they actually have the power to do so).  Every economist I've read has said that there will be a year or two of good, then Trump's policies will make shit plummet.  

4 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Dr.P,

One would think these people would notice something like that, but they aren't the brightest, I assume. 

6 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

it will be spun that now that Trump and a Republican congress are in charge they need to focus on his new administration and leading the country, not petty chasing of charges against Hillary. 

That and he can be seen as taking the high road on this and not pursuing any more charges against Hillary. 

7 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:
14 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Dr.P,

It's all that medical pot that's everywhere in Cali, we're so stoned all the time we voted for Hilary twice!  D'uh!

Archived