US politics: Heil to the Chief :(

all swedes are racist

10 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

A year from now, won't most of the positive economic benefits still be momentum from Obama's administration?  Plus, it will take at least that long to start dismantling the ACA (if those assholes even do it now that they actually have the power to do so).  Every economist I've read has said that there will be a year or two of good, then Trump's policies will make shit plummet.  

Yes in part. But, also, Trump's tax cuts will give a boost for demand side reasons and not the idiotic supply side reasons Republicans usually give.

Although, tax cuts to the wealthy are a inefficient way of generating aggregate demand.

In the long term, however, Trump's tax cuts will generate problems, particularly when nominal interest rates return to something that looks like normal and there are inflation pressures. And that time, it will make sense to do "austerity".

The natural candidate for the austerity would of course be reversing Trump's tax cuts. But, Republicans will of course insist that Trump's tax cuts were a "supply side miracle" pointing to the short term boost as proof.

21 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

New poll from CNN says a majority of Americans (53%) thinks Trump will do a good job. What's more, 40% say they have a lot of confidence in how he will deal with the economy. This is a better score than any of Obama, George W Bush, Bill Clinton, George H W Bush or Ronald Reagan got on that question at a similar time. And leading on from that,  63% think that the economy will be in good shape a year from now.

I dont trust polls, they haven't got anything right since 2016.

15 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

I guessed that the Trumpsters may not do this. I mean they're frickin dumb, but maybe not that dumb. They'd have to know this wouldn't go very well for them or was at least fraught with danger.

With regard to Trump supporters, I know, oh I definitely will have to give them a big helpin of shit over this, pointing out the reason it didn't happen was because there was nothing there in the first place.

Also, what would be the point? Now that he's beaten her, I don't think Trump has any negative thoughts, or any thoughts at all, about Clinton.

9 hours ago, R'hllor's nasty lobster said:

Two separate pro-trump events reported with instances of Nazi salutes being thrown. 

But no, it's actually about ethics in journalism bringing blue collar jobs to the rust belt

this is so dumb, elevating a small number of fringe people (for mutual benefit) who have always been there, just a convenient pinata to tie to Trump

It would be like if there was wall-to-wall coverage of Farrakhan and his people after Obama won

there are plenty of real things to be concerned about (like those business conflicts of interest)

3 minutes ago, Fez said:

Also, what would be the point? Now that he's beaten her, I don't think Trump has any negative thoughts, or any thoughts at all, about Clinton.

There was never any point except for red meat for the base. The base, however, was too dumb to realize it.

It's the result of "fake news".

5 minutes ago, Frog Eater said:

I don't even understand if you're being serious with this link or mocking the idiots who think vote padding is happening in states that make no fucking difference.  

Just now, Dr. Pepper said:

I don't even understand if you're being serious with this link or mocking the idiots who think vote padding is happening in states that make no fucking difference.  

I was being facetious. Did some amount of undocumented aliens vote in California? of course. Did it make a difference? no. California was always going blue. 

1 hour ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

There is no way he will be impeached without support from a very Republican congress. If it requires a 2/3 majority, you'd need 18 Republican Senators to sign on (and I dont know how many House members). I could count maybe 5-6 who may agree (Cruz, Rubio, McCain, Snowe....).

We are in for a long time with literally no checks and balances.

Actually, I think the Senate Republicans would be more than willing to knife Trump the second it looks expedient.

A Republican Congress + President Pence is pretty much the Republican dream.  

6 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

There was never any point except for red meat for the base. The base, however, was too dumb to realize it.

It's the result of "fake news".

Right. And he has no need to throw red meat right now. Which means Trump can return entirely to attacking his natural targets, the press and Republicans who he doesn't think are on "his side" the way they're supposed to be.

Trump's never shown much interest in attacking Democrats, except Clinton when she was a rival; which she's not anymore. And in these post-election days, he's said far more nice things about Schumer and Obama than anyone other than his cabinet nominees. 

3 minutes ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

Actually, I think the Senate Republicans would be more than willing to knife Trump the second it looks expedient.

A Republican Congress + President Pence is pretty much the Republican dream.  

There is absolutely ZERO chance a Republican congress impeaches a Republican President. It would kill their reelection campaigns, and all congress does is run for reelection. 

1 minute ago, Frog Eater said:

There is absolutely ZERO chance a Republican congress impeaches a Republican President. It would kill their reelection campaigns, and all congress does is run for reelection. 

But the thing is, while Republicans were prepared to vote for him, many of them don't like Trump very much. Pence is much more in line with their way of doing things.

Appearing complicit in trying to cover up Trump's shenanigans really would kill their re-election chances.

21 minutes ago, Commodore said:

this is so dumb, elevating a small number of fringe people (for mutual benefit) who have always been there, just a convenient pinata to tie to Trump

It would be like if there was wall-to-wall coverage of Farrakhan and his people after Obama won

there are plenty of real things to be concerned about (like those business conflicts of interest)

Had Trump not put Steve Bannon, who explicitely said he was turning Breitbart into a platform for the "Alt-right", onto his staff your point would carry more weight.  As it is Trump needs to disown this shit.

1 hour ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Wonder what the Trumpsters will be saying about this.  Consider the constant chants of "Lock her up" one would think they'd be quite upset.  They'll probably figure out a way to spin this in a way to make it seem like Trump isn't going back on a campaign promise.  

They'll likely accept the line that this is pure magnanimity on Trump's part. This was quite predictable. Trump gets to have his cake and eat it too. He doesn't have to risk bringing a case and losing it, he gets to look generous, but he also gets to keep the threat of doing it in his pocket, preserving his power. Classic bully behaviour.

38 minutes ago, butterbumps! said:

OK I think that CNN poll is this http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2016/images/11/22/rel20a.-.trump.expectations.pdf

it doesn't exactly paint a rosy picture of American hope for his presidency.    

It would appear from that poll that Trump is doing worse than Obama or Bush on every question.

Archived