NFL Conference Championships: where the presumed MVP is the least accomplished QB

DanteGabriel

4 minutes ago, trickster said:

This could be the game that makes Matty Ice a hall of fame QB. He has thrown for 4 and run for one TD on one of the biggest stages. You can't play any better.

Eh let's hold off on Canton for Matty Ice.  A great game and season today, no doubt, but before this season I don't think anyone would associate Ryan and HoF worthy. I don't think a great NFC Championship game changes that.

Overturns like that replay one bug me.  It didn't look like it hit the ground in real time.  In slow motion, it looks like he locks the ball between his hands and it doesn't move through contact with the ground.  I didn't see anything that suggested it moved, let alone that it was indisputable that it moved.  The inconsistency of indisputable evidence bugs the holy hell out of me.

2 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Eh let's hold off on Canton for Matty Ice.  A great game and season today, no doubt, but before this season I don't think anyone would associate Ryan and HoF worthy. I don't think a great NFC Championship game changes that.

I know...I am not crowning his ass this early. I am saying this could be that game that gets the ball rolling. He will need to win the SB and play well for a few more years. But now he has at least one signature win in the post season. "Outplaying" Rodgers also helps. 

12 minutes ago, trickster said:

This could be the game that makes Matty Ice a hall of fame QB. He has thrown for 4 and run for one TD on one of the biggest stages. You can't play any better.

I actually have not been that impressed with him in this game. A lot of his throws are good to wide open guys who have to adjust to the ball to gain their allotted 40 yards, Tom Brady or Rodgers would have thrown for 700 yards in this offense today.

5 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I actually have not been that impressed with him in this game. A lot of his throws are good to wide open guys who have to adjust to the ball to gain their allotted 40 yards, Tom Brady or Rodgers would have thrown for 700 yards in this offense today.

He is playing in a well designed offence with a human cheat code and a lot of good weapons against a not so good D. But it's all about perception and being in the minds of fans and talking heads. Consider that box ticked. Also the offence has punted only once...so I would say even considering a few not so great throws...he is playing great. 

Also I am so bummed that we are not getting Shannahan the junior to pair with Luck. 

I know...I am not crowning his ass this early. I am saying this could be that game that gets the ball rolling. He will need to win the SB and play well for a few more years. But now he has at least one signature win in the post season. "Outplaying" Rodgers also helps. 

What's funny is his entire playoff resume before today consisted of pwning Postseason God Russell Wilson. Good to see him diversify a bit. 

Also it's 44-15 and we still haven't hit the O/U for this game. 

Also I am so bummed that we are not getting Shannahan the junior to pair with Luck. 

I like everything I've heard about our front runner GM Jimmy Raye III, but the thing that makes it most likely he'll be hired makes me most concerned about his hiring. NFL Network's Ian Rappoport says that the coaching staff 'swears by' him, which leads me to think that he will not fire Pagano this year or next. Which means no chance for a Shannahan steal or McDaniels next year.

27 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

This game, a Super Bowl appearance, an MVP, and his stats would get him in the discussion rather quickly.

6 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

The 2 AFC defenses have to be shitting themselves watching this. This team is a fucking juggernaut.

To some extent, yes, but it's also a case of Green Bay having little to no defense. Atlanta has not been flawless: there was a botched snap and at least two opportunities for an interception which the Packers failed to make anything out of. Green Bay has a whole lot of injuries and I think picked up a few more in this game. It will be challenging to stop the Falcons, but I don't think it is impossible.

2 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Your new coach is a fucking genius.

I been saying it for 5 years. Dude made RG3 look like a world-beater, got a 68% passing, 4,700 yard season out of Matt "pick-six" Schaub and most amazing of all, helped get the Browns looks respectable. Matt Ryan is the best QB he's ever worked with and he got him to an MVP level this season. I don't believe there's a QB out there he can't make better. 

1 minute ago, Jaime L said:

I been saying it for 5 years. Dude made RG3 look like a world-beater, got a 68% passing, 4,700 yard season out of Matt "pick-six" Schaub and most amazing of all, helped get the Browns looks respectable. Matt Ryan is the best QB he's ever worked with and he got him to an MVP level this season. I don't believe there's a QB out there he can't make better. 

I haven't been touting him for half a decade, but I've long been an admirer. I must have seen half a hundred comments in the offseason about how terrible and unlikeable he is considering all of his movement, and now not a peep.

10 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

My fear is he's a Mike Martz type, but I'm down for the ride.

edit: Jaime, have you heard who y'all hired? (I am soooooo underplaying this.)

51 minutes ago, trickster said:

Sure, I agree with what you're saying. We shall see if the ball continues to roll or gets stuck in a groundhog hole.

29 minutes ago, Trebla said:

This game, a Super Bowl appearance, an MVP, and his stats would get him in the discussion rather quickly.

Eh, I disagree. He has good regular season stats, for sure. The thing that impresses me most is that he's only missed 2 games in his career. He's 31 and this was his 3rd career postseason win. I think good and great get blended together more often than they should. If he shows more of what he's done this season and more playoff runs then I would reconsider. 

7 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

My fear is he's a Mike Martz type, but I'm down for the ride.

Coicidentally I was thinking, watching today, there's a Greatest Show on Turf like feel to these Falcons.

But Mike Martz as far as I could tell only had one offense. Once it was exposed by Belichick it was never the same. Kyle Shanahan, meanwhile, has been a chameleon through his career. He ran read-option for RG3, air raid for Matt Schaub, conservative for Brian Hoyer, and with the Falcons it's all over the board. A different gameplan every week to attack each defense's unique weakness. He's like a kid in candyland running an offense that has like 8 weapons he cycle between with Julio like the queen on the chessboard. 

11 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Coicidentally I was thinking, watching today, there's a Greatest Show on Turf like feel to these Falcons.

But Mike Martz as far as I could tell only had one offense. Once it was exposed by Belichick it was never the same. Kyle Shanahan, meanwhile, has been a chameleon through his career. He ran read-option for RG3, air raid for Matt Schaub, conservative for Brian Hoyer, and with the Falcons it's all over the board. A different gameplan every week to attack each defense's unique weakness. He's like a kid in candyland running an offense that has like 8 weapons he cycle between with Julio like the queen on the chessboard. 

Yeah, I agree....at least I hope I do.

But back to other news. :D

http://popkey.co/m/zEOKR-tomsula-bludgeon-repeat

Archived