Football - Leicester's Shakespearean Tragedy

Philokles

5 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

I'm hoping for an interesting title race to develop. Couldn't care less about either Arsenal or Liverpool and Spurs are capable of grinding out results even without Kane. As for us, the top 4 is gone already. With games against Everton, Southampton, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and City to come combined with our poor record against the top sides and inability to score, I don't see us picking up enough points anyway. EL is now our only chance for CL football next season.

I couldn't care less about an interesting title race at this point in time.You might have given up on CL spot but we have a very good chance,so hoping Chelsea beat City.

8 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

I couldn't care less about an interesting title race at this point in time.You might have given up on CL spot but we have a very good chance,so hoping Chelsea beat City.

Liverpool should finish in the top 4 regardless of the Chelsea/City result. You don't need Chelsea to beat City as your lot have already done the job against the top sides and have as favourable a run in as any side could hope for. Liverpool not finishing in the top 4 given their position and upcoming fixtures would be a massive failure.

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

Liverpool should finish in the top 4 regardless of the Chelsea/City result. You don't need Chelsea to beat City as your lot have already done the job against the top sides and have as favourable a run in as any side could hope for. Liverpool not finishing in the top 4 given their position and upcoming fixtures would be a massive failure.

Agree with this. Also think United not winning EL would be a pretty big failure considering their squad and the quality of the remaining teams. 

16 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Agree with this. Also think United not winning EL would be a pretty big failure considering their squad and the quality of the remaining teams. 

True. We have gotten really favourable draws in the knockout stages as well and I think that realistically the EL is our best chance for CL football plus it's a European trophy too. If given the choice, I'd rather have us finish 5th or 6th and win the EL than finish 4th and not win it. If needed we should rest players in the league and keep them fresh for EL games.

Saying United not winning the EL would be a big failure is a bit much. They are favourites, yes, but Celta, Schalke and Lyon could quite conceivably beat them. With five games to get through, I'd say the odds are about one in three.

Some good derbies around Europe this weekend. As well as the Merseyside, there was the Revierderby, O Clássico and Napoli-Juventus, the latter being Higuain's first return to the San Paolo. All three of those ended 1-1, the most important consequence of which was Napoli's title aspirations being finished. A little hope for Roma maybe, but the gap to Juve is still 6 points.

3 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

A bit harsh but they should be big favorites.  

What's with the EL this year?   Last year Liverpool's last four rounds were against ManUtd, Dortmund, Villarreal (third in La Liga at the time) and Sevilla (who won their third consecutive EL).  It doesn't look like United will face anything like that even if they draw the toughest teams remaining. 

3 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

A bit harsh but they should be big favorites.  

What's with the EL this year?   Last year Liverpool's last four rounds were against ManUtd, Dortmund, Villarreal (third in La Liga at the time) and Sevilla (who won their third consecutive EL).  It doesn't look like United will face anything like that even if they draw the toughest teams remaining. 

Most of the major teams qualified to the round of 16 in the CL.

So...David Moyes said this is one of his post match interviews to a female reporter - what a tool 

You were just getting a wee bit naughty at the end there, so just watch yourself. You still might get a slap even though you're a woman.

12 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Most of the major teams qualified to the round of 16 in the CL.

And the big teams that were in the Europa League drew each other early on - meaning Gladbach, Fiorentina, Roma and Villarreal were knocked out whereas Genk only needed to beat Astra Giurgiu and Gent.

1 hour ago, Raja said:

So...David Moyes said this is one of his post match interviews to a female reporter - what a tool 

From the context it was clearly meant as a joke, albeit an inappropriate and unprofessional one.

41 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

From the context it was clearly meant as a joke, albeit an inappropriate and unprofessional one.

I'd say rather, from the context he thought it was funny. It's never a joke to make that kind of remark to anyone - and I guarantee you he'd never have made a similar remark to a male reporter.

Moyes at least seems to recognise in some of his comments that there is no excuse for this, although in other comments he's talked about 'pressure'. Pressure is no excuse.

I was impressed by Hull's improvement under Silva until I was reminded that they sold Snodgress and Livermore in January.  I remember posting at the time that it looked like capitulation by club.  If they manage to survive, that exceeds merely impressive.

3 hours ago, mormont said:

I'd say rather, from the context he thought it was funny. It's never a joke to make that kind of remark to anyone - and I guarantee you he'd never have made a similar remark to a male reporter.

Moyes at least seems to recognise in some of his comments that there is no excuse for this, although in other comments he's talked about 'pressure'. Pressure is no excuse.

It seems this goes beyond a single incident, in which case it is correct to treat it much more seriously than a poorly thought-out attempt at a joke.

22 hours ago, Horse of Kent said:

I'd like to hear this context in which threatening to slap a woman for doing her job can be considered as a joke.

1 hour ago, baxus said:

I'd like to hear this context in which threatening to slap a woman for doing her job can be considered as a joke.

Have you seen the video? He has not intention whatsoever of slapping her, he just thinks saying so would make a funny joke.

1 hour ago, Horse of Kent said:

Have you seen the video? He has not intention whatsoever of slapping her, he just thinks saying so would make a funny joke.

I'll accept that he had no intention of actually slapping her. But there's more to a comment like that than trying to be funny. The type of 'joke' he's using is about him being bigger and stronger than her, and her getting into trouble for challenging him: not (for example) self-deprecating humour, which you could also have opted for in that circumstance if getting a laugh was your only aim. There's a message in the choice to use a threat to get a laugh, and it's not a nice one.

1 hour ago, mormont said:

I'll accept that he had no intention of actually slapping her. But there's more to a comment like that than trying to be funny. The type of 'joke' he's using is about him being bigger and stronger than her, and her getting into trouble for challenging him: not (for example) self-deprecating humour, which you could also have opted for in that circumstance if getting a laugh was your only aim. There's a message in the choice to use a threat to get a laugh, and it's not a nice one.

I completely agree. This incident, especially when viewed with his history of making similar comments, shows a very ugly side to him. Still, had he actually threatened physical violence to ensure a sympathetic line of questioning, it would have been significantly worse.

When is Mourinho starting to get flack for the regular toothlesness of the performances the way Moyes and LVG did? Especially since he got to spunk way more money and got the players he wanted and we still look like this.

Mkhitaryan's form has vanished without a trace and beyond him, there's no inspiration whatsoever.

Archived