US Politics: the Lying Liars Who Lie edtion

Fragile Bird

The Ninth Circuit has just issued their decision on Trump's second travel ban.

The decision will be released at 6:30 pm tonight.

eta: 4 1/2 hours from my posting time.

eta 2: the travel ban remains on hold, but allows the government to review vetting procedures, according to a statement from the court.

Hmmmm....while the decision is being released at 6:30 pm, some reporters were allowed to read it. I did not know they did that.

I wonder what kind of twitter storm attacks we'll see against the judges of the Ninth Circuit over the next day or two, I wonder if anyone has tried to tell Trump that if he attacks judges, other judges will notice and will not be impressed.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/12/politics/9th-circuit-travel-ban/index.html

(CNN)Another federal court has ruled against President Donald Trump's revised executive order limiting travel from six predominately Muslim countries.

The ruling from a three-judge panel of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals is yet another stinging loss from a court that similarly refused to reinstate Trump's original executive order on travel in February.
"We conclude that the President, in issuing the Executive Order, exceeded the scope of the authority delegated to him by Congress," the judges wrote.
The judges largely affirmed a Hawaii judge's decision from March which found the core provisions of the revised executive order -- temporarily blocking all refugees and foreign nationals from six Muslim-majority countries from entering the US -- likely violated the Constitution because its primary purpose was to disfavor Muslims.

Monday's ruling will no doubt be appealed to the Supreme Court, which is already considering a similar case from the 4th US Circuit Court of Appeals in Virginia.

5 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Say hello to our Dear Leader. The limits these people go to ensure Trump gets the proper amount of praise is out of this world and so incredibly fucking dangerous. 

14 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Say hello to our Dear Leader. The limits these people go to ensure Trump gets the proper amount of praise is out of this world and so incredibly fucking dangerous. 

It is disgusting. However, I have to say I think at this point, it doesn't matter one bit what he does in terms of posing and praise and trying to improve his image. It is too late for empty propaganda games. I honestly don't think there are any more people to sway one way or another. He can never get above an approval rating of ~45% at the absolute maximum, no matter how many times he makes his staff swoon over him. But he can certainly still go the other way if he keeps neglecting policy in favor of shit like this.

Of course, all of this is not just for the cameras, but also to send a strong signal to staff members themselves. However, at this point, I don't really care about their ridiculous, internal power games anymore. The administration is dysfunctional and will never be able to function as a cohesive unit. That's all that matters to me.

Reince Priebus right in there calling it 'a blessing' is so laughable if the rumors circulating that Der Leadah gave him until to July 4 to clean up the dysfunction of the WH staff.  lol, is this another empty threat or will he really kick Priebus to the curb this time?  Stay tuned I guess.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/11/donald-trump-reince-priebus-deadline-239411

14 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Hopefully the careers of all of these boot-licking lickspittles will be destroyed by their attachment to the Clown Prince. It really is SAD.

11 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Hopefully the careers of all of these boot-licking lickspittles will be destroyed by their attachment to the Clown Prince. It really is SAD.

No, it's not SAD.  They saw what he was during the campaign like the rest of us did.  They are trying to further their careers by hitching to him and if he destroys them so be it, they get what they deserve. 

31 minutes ago, Mexal said:

The Republican Party was having trouble
What a sad, sad story
Needed a new leader to restore
Its former glory

Where oh where was he?
Where could that man be?
We look around and then we found
The orange swamp thing for you and me
And now it's
Springtime For Orange Swamp Thing and the Alt Righties...........

Be a smarty come and join the Republican Party!!!!!!

9 minutes ago, Nasty LongRider said:

No, it's not SAD.  They saw what he was during the campaign like the rest of us did.  They are trying to further their careers by hitching to him and if he destroys them so be it, they get what they deserve. 

I was being something.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/34/e5/19/34e51995133d37e5709aee99870791fb.jpg

15 hours ago, Altherion said:

But in that sense the Democrats aren't fragmented either. I'm not aware of many Democrats straying from the party when the time comes to vote.

They certainly didn't vote in a bloc when opposing various cabinet appointments. Republicans voted unanimously in all but one case (the DeVos one). And even then - they had the votes, so they let people defect to give them 'cover'. 

Really, I just don't see the actual evidence that the Republican party is particularly fragmented or is not doing what they want to do; the sole exception was the earlier AHCA vote in March, which they found a solution to by simply being super conservative.

I think what the Rep wants to do is a good idea, and love the use of 'Covfefe' in the bill's name.  

https://quigley.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/quigley-introduces-covfefe-act

WASHINGTON — Today, U.S. Representative Mike Quigley (IL-05), co-founder and co-chair of the Congressional Transparency Caucus, introduced the Communications Over Various Feeds Electronically for Engagement or “COVFEFE” Act. This bill codifies vital guidance from the National Archives by amending the Presidential Records Act to include the term “social media” as a documentary material, ensuring additional preservation of presidential communication and statements while promoting government accountability and transparency.

“In order to maintain public trust in government, elected officials must answer for what they do and say; this includes 140-character tweets,” said Rep. Quigley. “President Trump’s frequent, unfiltered use of his personal Twitter account as a means of official communication is unprecedented. If the President is going to take to social media to make sudden public policy proclamations, we must ensure that these statements are documented and preserved for future reference. Tweets are powerful, and the President must be held accountable for every post.”  

In 2014, the National Archives released guidance stating its belief that social media merits historical recording. President Trump’s unprecedented use of Twitter calls particular attention to this concern. When referencing the use of social media, White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer has said, “The president is president of the United States so they are considered official statements by the president of the United States.”

Congressman-elect Greg Gianforte was sentenced to community service, anger management, and a $385 fine Monday for assaulting a reporter on the eve of the Montana special election.

The Montana Republican was sentenced to 40 hours of community service and 20 hours of anger-management classes after he plead guilty to misdemeanor assault for body slamming Guardian reporter Ben Jacobs to the ground last month after Jacobs asked the candidate about the controversial GOP health-care bill.

Maybe he can spend that week and a half when Congress isnt in session.

Here's a really interesting article about how Republicans might act if Trump continues to crater:

The tapes Trump hinted at turn out not to exist. On ABC’s “This Week,” Jay Sekulow, a member of Trump’s legal team, said Trump will make a decision very soon on whether to release the tapes he may have made of his conversations with then-FBI Director James B. Comey.  After the news broke that Trump may have demanded a “loyalty” pledge from Comey, the president tweeted that Comey had better hope he doesn’t have tapes of their conversations. Trump has since hinted he still might release them, and congressional investigators have demanded them.

This state of play is utter lunacy in its current form — the White House has still not said whether these tapes exist, even as Trump hints they might still be coming, and we are so numb to Trump’s daily crazy at this point that we now oddly treat this as somewhat unremarkable. Maybe they do exist. But what happens if the White House, in response to those congressional demands, ultimately confirms that they don’t? Experts think the White House will have to come clean in some way. At that point, it would be confirmed that Trump invented the existence of these tapes to chill Comey from offering a full public accounting of the events leading up to his firing — which itself was a massive abuse of power, given that Trump allowed it was because of the FBI’s Russia probe — in the full knowledge that Comey was going to serve as a witness before long. What will Republicans say about that?

Trump tries to get the special prosecutor fired. Also on ABC’s “This Week,” Sekulow refused to rule out the possibility that Trump might end up trying to order Deputy Attorney General Rod J. Rosenstein to fire Mueller. It is possible that Trump is cognizant enough of the history here (Richard Nixon tried pretty much the same thing) to avoid the drastic step of trying to get Mueller axed mainly because he’s closing in on wrongdoing.

But Trump is not inclined to let institutional constraints limit his options, and he and his team have already shown themselves to be less than shrewd at gaming out the consequences of trampling on them. The circumstances of Trump’s firing of Comey are a case in point. The White House thought it could get away with floating the idea that Rosenstein had provided the rationale (his memo fingered Comey’s handling of the Hillary Clinton email probe). But that story fell apart, raising the possibility that Rosenstein had provided Trump cover for the real rationale, which Trump subsequently admitted on national television was Comey’s handling of the Russia probe. This basically required Rosenstein to appoint the special counsel.

So can we really count on Trump refraining from trying to get Mueller removed? Nope. Somewhat unlike in Nixon’s time, Republicans may well still stand by Trump even if this happens. If so, they’d be in a considerably darker place than they are even now. And so would we all.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2017/06/12/trump-is-likely-to-get-much-much-worse-here-are-a-few-big-things-to-watch-for/?utm_term=.3913d9988863

Also, it's becoming more clear that Trump never taped Comey, and probably made the comment to try and chill Comey from testifying:

It’s the biggest mystery in Washington—or the biggest tease.

Is there a taping system at the White House, did it catch the conversations between President Trump and his ex-FBI director, James Comey, and if the answers to those questions are yes, will the president make the tapes public?

The Secret Service added one small piece to the puzzle on Monday when it told the Wall Street Journal that if there are tapes, it doesn’t have them. That is significant because the Secret Service handled the White House recording systems for previous presidents, including John F. Kennedy and Richard Nixon. The agency’s response, provided to the Journal through a Freedom of Information Act request, still allows for the possibility that another government entity—or perhaps Trump’s team itself—is managing a recording system.

(sections snipped)

Knowing Trump, the case for there not being tapes greatly outweighs the case for their existence. This is a man who repeatedly claimed to have evidence that his predecessor had falsified his birth certificate, but never offered any. And during his campaign and since he’s taken office, Trump has promised plans and timelines that have never materialized.

When it comes to tapes, even the president seems to be preaching skepticism. As he told reporters on Friday, “You’re going to be very disappointed when you hear the answer.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/06/what-we-know-about-the-trump-tapes/530058/

17 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Here's a really interesting article about how Republicans might act if Trump continues to crater:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2017/06/12/trump-is-likely-to-get-much-much-worse-here-are-a-few-big-things-to-watch-for/?utm_term=.3913d9988863

Also, it's becoming more clear that Trump never taped Comey, and probably made the comment to try and chill Comey from testifying:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/06/what-we-know-about-the-trump-tapes/530058/

I would bet the mortgage he has his own recording system. It just fits his MO.

All of these -- and particularly that disgraceful spectacle he demanded in public in front of the entire world of his people crawling into his a$$hole -- have me so ashamed, depressed and vomitous for my country, I cannot even think words.

Archived