U.S. Politics-Getting a Handel On Why the DNC Is Pissing Ossof

30 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

He might love his job, but he's been on the bench for 30 years and he is still 80, eventually it's gonna wear on you. Stevens and his monstrous 35 years are a rarity. He was the third-longest serving judge, after all.

Serving as a SC justice doesn't necessarily have to wear on you at all.  Other than having to live in the DC area, I guess.

25 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I don't know, if I'm still working at 80, just shoot me in the face. 

Well sure - I don't plan on being alive by 80.  But, different strokes.... My point was it's a very easy job if you want it to be.

3 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Well sure - I don't plan on being alive by 80.  But, different strokes.... My point was it's a very easy job if you want it to be.

Yeah, I don't see 80 in the cards for me as well. But if by some strange twist of fate I end up making it to that age, I sure as hell am not going to be working.

11 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

For this year. Seems pretty reasonable given the concerns cited. 

yeah, pretty sure sending bills back to committee or whatever is pr friendly code for a stake through the heart. i'll be happy to admit i'm wrong (hell, i'd be happy just to be wrong) but i'll eat cat food if this actually comes back out within the session

15 minutes ago, commiedore said:

yeah, pretty sure sending bills back to committee or whatever is pr friendly code for a stake through the heart. i'll be happy to admit i'm wrong (hell, i'd be happy just to be wrong) but i'll eat cat food if this actually comes back out within the session

Don't get me wrong, I want to see this pass, but apparently they have nothing set in place regarding the financing. Given the economic condition of the state, it's probably a good idea to iron that out prior to just rubber stamping this.

i'll admit i'm not the most informed when it comes to the inner machinations of politics (as i'm sure many would be happy to point out) but i would hope a supposedly progressive party leader in progessive state would maybe do a little more to work it out than just shelving it ... but what do i know

21 minutes ago, Nasty LongRider said:

I'll just leave this right here.

read the whole thing.

not casey's biggest fan, but good for him. my wife has actually been working with him and his office regarding medicaid and the opioid crisis, like to think she may have had some small part in his position

On June 21, 2017 at 8:06 PM, Dr. Pepper said:

The problem here is determining whether winning is more important than values.  If you stop combating misogyny because you just want to win, then the core values disappear and it's an entirely different party. The fact is that women tend to be hated and reviled more than men for petty disgusting reasons.  The answer isn't to tell all the women to go away because 'that's just the breaks.' Certainly the Democratic Party needs something, progressive voters need to be different.  But no fucking way do we need to hide our women in the closet just so a bunch of white men will want to vote for the party again.  

This is really key for me. And not compromising on core platform issues that affect workers, reproductive rights, equality, keeping the separation between church and state, pension and SS protections, protecting the environment, we cant sell out our values just to win. When we sacrifice any of our core values at the altar, for the sake of pandering to one group today, we will wake up tommorrow or some not too distant tommorrow as a unrecognizeable party.

We may win an election with such a strategy, but we would be left holding fools gold. If we play a game of acting like Republicans to win, then we may as well be Republicans because we wouldnt be Liberals or Progressives, we'd be bought and paid for flipfloppers or weathervanes twirling toward wherever we could get a vote.

Fuck that noise, i'll stay believing and caring for peoples issues, if that means the Democratic party leaves me, than so be it. But i'm not going to chase them as they transform into the Republican-lite party just for some quartely poll numbers. 

Nancy Pelosi isnt the problem with the party, not standing strongly for our core issues would be a problem though. 

14 hours ago, dmc515 said:

The fuck does Betsy DeVos have to do with it?  Please cite a relevant comparison, which would be a Democratic legislator publicly silencing a fellow GOP female MC.

Somehow even then the goal posts would move since the GOP member would be trying to kill 20 million with health care reform.  Like I said double standard.

4 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

Somehow even then the goal posts would move since the GOP member would be trying to kill 20 million with health care reform.  Like I said double standard.

So, you don't have an actual example then?  Thus no double standard.  Glad that's cleared up.

On 6/23/2017 at 7:29 PM, ThinkerX said:

Suppose the AHCA makes it all the way to Trumps desk - and he Vetoes it?  Republican reaction?

I wouldn't rule out a Trump veto, only because I refuse to rule anything out for him anymore, but I would be extremely surprised, to say the least, if he vetoed it. Although, he did say on Fox News again today that he called the bill "mean," so who knows.

In the event he actually did veto it, that might be the straw that caused Republican leadership to take a serious interest in the Russia investigation probes.

13 minutes ago, Fez said:

I wouldn't rule out a Trump veto, only because I refuse to rule anything out for him anymore, but I would be extremely surprised, to say the least, if he vetoed it. Although, he did say on Fox News again today that he called the bill "mean," so who knows.

In the event he actually did veto it, that might be the straw that caused Republican leadership to take a serious interest in the Russia investigation probes.

No chance he vetoes it. There is zero chance he'd give up proclaiming a win.

It really depends on how he wants to spin this.  He might want to appear to be the big strong man who tells the Senators to make a nicer bill.  Or maybe he wants to pretend that he was for this bill all along.  

No matter what, his supporters will just blindly follow and say everything he does is good.  Doesn't matter if they are drowning in medical debt in four years, they'll say they're glad Trump gave it to them.

19 hours ago, dmc515 said:

While you may be right overall, I don't think it's really valid to compare a bill like this to a confirmation vote on the Education Secretary.  And both Collins and Murkowski voted against DeVos.

I don't see why. The underlying political calculus is the same - dare to make Republican moderates turn out enough to actually be the deciding factor in a Republican viewpoint going down, and one that is very unpopular. In the end they miraculously had just enough votes, and gave a couple members some cover. 

10 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

It really depends on how he wants to spin this.  He might want to appear to be the big strong man who tells the Senators to make a nicer bill.  Or maybe he wants to pretend that he was for this bill all along.  

No matter what, his supporters will just blindly follow and say everything he does is good.  Doesn't matter if they are drowning in medical debt in four years, they'll say they're glad Trump gave it to them.

I don't buy that. He doesn't know what's in the bill. He's the guy who sat in the Rose Garden and celebrated the House passing the bill like the biggest win ever. And he's the guy every day on social media saying Obamacare is dying and that the Democrats are evil for perpetuating lies that it's ok. So no, he won't veto it.

Archived