three queens

Clegane'sPup

32 minutes ago, Wm Portnoy said:

I suppose you could argue that Varys is one of the queens. 

I thought about that. :P

Considering his powder, perfume and attire Varys could be one of the three queens LF refers to.

I really dunna understand why people keep saying Sansa is the third Queen when LF is speaking directly to Sansa about three queens.

A Feast for Crows - Alayne II

"You would not believe half of what is happening in King's Landing, sweetling. Cersei stumbles from one idiocy to the next, helped along by her council of the deaf, the dim, and the blind. I always anticipated that she would beggar the realm and destroy herself, but I never expected she would do it quite so fast.

It is quite vexing. I had hoped to have four or five quiet years to plant some seeds and allow some fruits to ripen, but now . . . it is a good thing that I thrive on chaos. What little peace and order the five kings left us will not long survive the three queens, I fear."   "Three queens?" She did not understand. Nor did Petyr choose to explain.

23 hours ago, BalerionTheCat said:

Daenerys could be the 3rd. But she is far and her coming is uncertain. Selyse is one possibility. LF was planning something for Sansa. But I'm not sure he wanted to expose her now. Or is Asha. After Balon death, she would have been queen without Euron. Or Myrcella according to Arianne's plan.

Agree with Dany, I just struggle to see Littlefinger bet so much on a girl he barely knows unless of course it's revealed that he's in cahoots with Varys. 

• Selyse: she's not a queen in her own right 
  • Asha: I don't think anyone takes the Greyjoys as a serious political threat
  • Myrcella: that's Arianne's plan not Littlefinger's, also in order for Cersei and Margaery to be 2 of the 3 queens Tommen needs to be on the throne

10 hours ago, Pikachu101 said:

Agree with Dany, I just struggle to see Littlefinger bet so much on a girl he barely knows unless of course it's revealed that he's in cahoots with Varys. 

• Selyse: she's not a queen in her own right 
  • Asha: I don't think anyone takes the Greyjoys as a serious political threat
  • Myrcella: that's Arianne's plan not Littlefinger's, also in order for Cersei and Margaery to be 2 of the 3 queens Tommen needs to be on the throne

LF and Varys in cahoots? That would be the biggest GRRM surprise. Each is for his own (fAegon for Varys). LF doesn't know Sansa much. But he sees Cat in her. And by removing and hiding her from Cersei, he takes more risks he ever did. Asha and Myrcella are probably definitively out of the race now. Their plans were not much public. But LF could have expected Dorne push with Myrcella, And he certainly had spies on the pretender kings and knew Asha would try to claim her father's crown. She would have succeeded, without the unpredicted Euron.

On 1/07/2017 at 10:25 AM, Wm Portnoy said:

We have to look at the wars that LF set in motion.  The North (Selyse or Melissandre), Lannisters vs the Faith (Cersei), and Tyrells vs the Lannisters (Margaerys or the Queen of Thorns). 

That implies he's got something planned for Selyse, and I can't imagine what that would be, other than making her and Stannis gtfo asap.

On 1/07/2017 at 10:25 AM, Wm Portnoy said:

I suppose you could argue that Varys is one of the queens. 

No.

7 hours ago, BalerionTheCat said:

LF and Varys in cahoots? That would be the biggest GRRM surprise. Each is for his own (fAegon for Varys). LF doesn't know Sansa much. But he sees Cat in her. And by removing and hiding her from Cersei, he takes more risks he ever did. Asha and Myrcella are probably definitively out of the race now. Their plans were not much public. But LF could have expected Dorne push with Myrcella, And he certainly had spies on the pretender kings and knew Asha would try to claim her father's crown. She would have succeeded, without the unpredicted Euron.

I am always amazed at how many readers suspect that the two are in cahoots. 

Cersei, Margaery and Dany seem sound enough choices.

If Dany is indeed one of the three, then one would assume Petyr must be planning to gain her favour down the line, if he has good enough intell on her dragons and the power of her army. Why support Cersei or Marg, two pillars of the widely unpopular and less than stable current regime, when dragons beckon?

As Lord of Harrenhal and Lord Protector of The Vale, Littlefinger could be poised to simply hand over The Eyrie and Harrenhal to Dany when she invades. The black castle near The God's Eye and the white one astride The Giants Lance would both be valuable to a mother who may eventually intend on birthing more dragons.

Black Harren's imperious fortress is the largest in the seven Kingdoms, and size wise would be capable of housing a good few dragons. Its central location, symbolic value and history with various Targaryens could also prove attractive to Dany. 

House Arryn's castle in the sky, and the mountain it perches atop, would prove a useful summer roosting ground for any potential spawn of Drogon, Viserion and Rhaegal. The three Targaryen-Arryn marriages throughout history could also mean the people of the Vale might be open to the idea of siding with the Dragon Queen. If some Vale Lord was to catch a glimpse of Dany riding Drogon to the top of The Giant's Lance, they might even be reminded of the tales of the ubiquitous Winged Knight.

In regards to a LF/Varys connection, I'm all for the possibility of such an arrangement. I've never seen anything concrete which could identify them as enemies, other than the odd throwaway comment. This could certainly tie into the theory that Petyr will eventually try and betroth Sansa to Aegon, although I'm not completely sold on that one as of yet. The tricky question would then be if they have been in cahoots the whole time or if common interests may have only recently brought them together during the WAT5K

It's funny to think that Baelish won't have made an in-book appearance in over 13 years by the time Winds comes out.

1 hour ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

They're definitely not in cahoots in the show; Varys seems a little unnerved by Littlefinger after the "Chaos is a ladder" speech.

10 hours ago, BalerionTheCat said:

LF doesn't know Sansa much. But he sees Cat in her. 

I think that will be his downfall, he doesn't see Sansa as an individual just his romanticised idea of his childhood crush

55 minutes ago, Pikachu101 said:

I think that will be his downfall, he doesn't see Sansa as an individual just his romanticised idea of his childhood crush

Yes. He is very smart. But he is taking insane risks with Sansa. What may he think she will do, when she will learn his role in her father demise and death?

Another thing about Sansa is that, despite what Littlefinger believes, she isn't exactly like her mother. They have many differences, and Sansa has had far more eye-opening experiences at this point than her mother had at the same age. The part of LF that sees Sansa as a second chance for him to relive his teenage fantasies doesn't realize this. 

On 02/07/2017 at 10:24 PM, BalerionTheCat said:

Yes. He is very smart. But he is taking insane risks with Sansa. What may he think she will do, when she will learn his role in her father demise and death?

I'd love to see a student defeats the master scene 

On 7/2/2017 at 0:21 PM, Lost Melnibonean said:

There are some subtle hints and would help explain some things. There is a good read over at Tower of the Hand on the issue. Still there isn't anything that proves it true to me.

On 7/2/2017 at 2:15 PM, Angel Eyes said:

They're definitely not in cahoots in the show; Varys seems a little unnerved by Littlefinger after the "Chaos is a ladder" speech.

Show is not the books and adds nothing to this discussion.

Archived