Football: Silly season

Mark Antony

15 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

*snip* Until the payment is accepted, Barca do not have the funds to buy either Coutinho or Dembele.

You're joking right? Barca could afford to buy anyone they want. I highly doubt they need Neymar money to buy Coutinho or Dembele.

They are one of the richest clubs in the world, with or without Neymar money! Or am I missing something about Barca?

6 hours ago, Nas! said:

Chicharito is a super buy.  Shirt sales in Mexico have probably already covered his (relatively) modest fee.  I've seen him play live a couple of times (in CONCACAF fixtures) and he's got terrific movement and is a proper finisher.  Truly, EXACTLY what we needed. 

Jury's out on whether Hart is any better than Adrian, but I think Zabaleta fills a huge void in the team. 

And, compared to all the embarrassing chatter of last summer's window, the 2 Davids  have been all action and few words. 

...................Chicharito

Arnautović........................Antonio

....…............Lanzini

...........Obiang........Kouyate

Cresswell..........................Zabaleta

...........Ogbonna......Reid

...……..........Hart

Admit it: you're a little scared. 

It has been a very positive window for West Ham. As well as no outlandish transfer targets being announced by the owner's son, they have prioritised quality over quantity. My only reservation about Chicharito is that last season was the first time he was not playing for one of the best two or three teams in the league since he moved to Europe, and he looked very average - though his drop in confidence may have been due to the manager's unhappiness at his lack of defensive workrate when things started to go wrong.

2 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Brazil have a decent chance next year with that team. Neymar, Willian, Countinho, Oscar, all in their prime. Casemiro is an excellent players and they have some fine defenders as well. A very strong team IMO.

Maybe if they realise to beat the European teams they are going to start picking European quality central midfielders. Paulinho even failed in the Ekstraklasa and he is still picked ahead of the key central midfielder in Monaco's side last season. Same goes for their goalkeepers.

3 hours ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Obviously Neymar, now the world's most expensive player, being in Ligue 1 is going to attract a lot more fans to the league. But Zlatan was at PSG and was the star; he scored goals for fun and won all domestic titles in front of him yet he never made the Balon D'or podium.

As good as Zlatan was, he was never quite at the level as Neymar can reach. If he drags PSG to a Champions League final then he should win the balon d'or (if that matters) with Messi & Ronaldo's careers heading towards an end. The move and any European success should raise the profile of Ligue 1 as a whole. With investment going in at Marseille & Lille, and Monaco now having buckets of cash to play with, it seems plausible that Serie A's new fourth Champions League spot could be under pressure in a couple of years when 2014-15 is wiped from the coefficient. A lot of that depends on how well Milan and Inter's projects go.

36 minutes ago, The Winged Shadow said:

You're joking right? Barca could afford to buy anyone they want. I highly doubt they need Neymar money to buy Coutinho or Dembele.

They are one of the richest clubs in the world, with or without Neymar money! Or am I missing something about Barca?

Apparently they don't. All reports coming out of Spain suggest that Barca have only €60m-€70m transfer budget this window, a chunk of which has already been spent on Semedo and Deulofeu.

15 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Apparently they don't. All reports coming out of Spain suggest that Barca have only €60m-€70m transfer budget this window, a chunk of which has already been spent on Semedo and Deulofeu.

If waiting for a legal decision to allow Neymar to leave affects their planning, they could just accept a normal bid from PSG for the same amount. Not the best PR, though.

24 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

If waiting for a legal decision to allow Neymar to leave affects their planning, they could just accept a normal bid from PSG for the same amount. Not the best PR, though.

Yes, that is another option for Barca. Entering into negotiations with PSG would make this a 'normal' transfer as opposed to a buyout which would cut out La Liga as middleman. Negotiating with PSG might not go down well with the fans though and with the no confidence vote coming up, the board might probably continue to refuse all negotiation attempts. I think Barca should have negotiated in the first place once it became apparent that Neymar was determined to leave. They probably would have gotten more that 222m for Neymar and would have had more time to do their own business.

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

Wow... that is peanuts! I wonder why they have such a small budget....

Either way, they need get their grubby hands off Coutinho...

FA implement two game ban for diving

Players who dive or feign injury will face a two-match suspension starting from this season.

Footage from the weekend's fixtures will be reviewed each Monday and any player found guilty of simulation will be banned.

The three-man panel will consist of one former match official, a former manager and an ex-player.

The Football Association will only be able to impose the ban if the panel's decision is a unanimous one. 

If a player is found guilty of deciving an official or admits to the charge, the yellow or red card given to the opposing player can be rescinded.

5 minutes ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Probably from wasting over 100m euros last summer on fringe players (apart from Umtiti) and trying to keep up with the wage demands of players like Messi, Neymar and Suarez. Maybe Neymar going will be a blessing in disguise.

26 minutes ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Well, it's not really. Until very recently that was a pretty big budget, it's just the market been inflated over the last couple of years by the new Premier League tv deal. Plus this year the Qatari Sovereign Wealth fund are extra keen to show that everything's going well in Qatar.

1 hour ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Think it has to do with La Liga regulations limiting the percentage spent on wages vs. operating revenue. Barca spend an absolute fortune on player salaries and bonuses (read somewhere that they have the highest wage bill in world football), not to mention the obscene amounts of money they have had to pay Neymar Sr over the past four years and many of their biggest earners have gotten improved contracts over the past year to year-and-a-half. There are also rumblings over the boards apparent incompetence over managing the clubs finances as well as their work in the transfer market (overpaying for players while selling players for less than their worth). All of this has resulted in Barca currently not having the spending power of say Real Madrid or Manchester United, despite being the world's second richest club in terms of market value and revenue.

1 hour ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Because they're already paying such huge wages to Neymar, Messi, Suarez, etc.  In fact, Suarez looks underpaid now.  I read a good article several weeks ago about Barcelona being in a financial trap -- they've accumulated more than anyone of the top players in the world, arguably three of the top four, but would now be hobbled by paying their wages.  Fans would be outraged to lose any of them but the bargaining power of those players and their agents will consume so much of their resources.  Plus they have the risk that Messi declines with age. 

Neymar's departure increases their exposure to any decline in Messi, but does free up financial potential to pay both a Hazard and a Coutinho, assuming their clubs will let them go. 

Coutinho signed a new 5yr deal last season with no buy-out clause.  In this market, where replacements seem impossible, the best strategy for Liverpool is to never sell him and just let him wind down that contract if he wants. 

Good write-up.

Here's another good article by Ed Thompson. http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/latest-news/neymar-s-psg-transfer-and-the-break-even-test

According to him, it is not guaranteed that the fee will be amortized over the period of Neymar's contract. It all depends on whether or not the money was put through PSG's accounts. If this were a normal transfer that went through PSG's accounts then the club could amortize the fee over the length of the contract but at this stage it remains unclear where the money actually came from. If the money has indeed come from Qatar then it is a virtual certainty that UEFA will deem that a related party transaction and possibly include the entire amount in their calculations. I'm sure that PSG/QSI/Qatar had an army of suits doing the sums though so PSG must have a plan in place and have 2 years to try and balance their books.

In other transfer news: I see that Leicester have completed the signing of Iheanacho. They have done some good business this window.

Nice and Hoffenheim rewarded for their excellent seasons with draws against Napoli and Liverpool. The seeding is a bit of a joke, basing the coefficient mainly on the club's success over the past five years rather than the league. All it does is disincentivise any mobility within leagues if any new team is forced to start from scratch.

3 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

In other transfer news: I see that Leicester have completed the signing of Iheanacho. They have done some good business this window.

I see there has been a £50m buy-back option installed in the deal. English teams are finally starting to learn a lesson.

Everton got a decent draw for their Europa League playoff round in Hajduk, but it won't be an easy match at all. As someone from Croatia, I can tell you that all the top 4 Croatian League clubs got financially stable either a couple years ago or more recently than that, which has improved their team quality since they didn't have to sell off their best players each year. Hajduk is a much stronger club than in recent times with a stable and composed team and is already in full competitive swing, while Everton is still only in preseason. I still think Everton *should* be the favourite, but Hajduk still has a chance.

After all, Osijek beat PSV 2-0 total, 1-0 in both matches and played toe-to-toe with them, and that's technically the 4th club in our league.

11 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

I see there has been a £50m buy-back option installed in the deal. English teams are finally starting to learn a lesson.

Yes, finally. Good piece of business by City too. Iheanacho will get regular game time at Leicester and if he continues to improve then in 2-3 years time (Aguero will be 31/32 by then) that 50 mil buy-back will look a bargain given the state of the transfer market.

2 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Yes, finally. Good piece of business by City too. Iheanacho will get regular game time at Leicester and if he continues to improve then in 2-3 years time (Aguero will be 31/32 by then) that 50 mil buy-back will look a bargain given the state of the transfer market.

Exactly. If he can start scoring 15+ goals a season in the Premier League, £50m to bring him back will be peanuts. Smart move on Man City's behalf.

If he and Vardy can link up well and form a good partnership, there's no reason Leicester can't be pushing for Europa League spots next season/

1 hour ago, Horse of Kent said:

Nice and Hoffenheim rewarded for their excellent seasons with draws against Napoli and Liverpool. The seeding is a bit of a joke, basing the coefficient mainly on the club's success over the past five years rather than the league. All it does is disincentivise any mobility within leagues if any new team is forced to start from scratch.

Meanwhile we have Hapoel Tel Aviv against Maribor or Apoel Nicosia against Prague, the drawing system is a joke, how will those teams improve the UCL ? I cant take a bet that the combined points made by those teams in the groups will ammount to 3 at most. 

I heard that from the next season all teams from France, England, Italy and Germany will qualify automatically to the group stage, i find it a very good idea and those teams really deserve to be playing in the group stage after having fantastic seasons where they overachieved. It's really an injustice that the reward of having a great season is facing Liverpool or Napoli in the playoff while there are some modest teams facing eachother.

Archived