Football: Just Slaven Away

Nas!

11 hours ago, Horse of Kent said:

The Danes looked really good, not that Ireland put up much resistance. Having two of your most talented players linking up down the right rather than on the bench worked unsurprisingly well. That unshackled Eriksen as he was no longer the only threat to worry about, unlike on Saturday when Sisto was having an off day. Also not punting the ball long to the Cardiff reject up top when you are playing Ireland of all countries.

I didn't get to watch it, but from the sound of it , it seems like Ireland had no idea what to do when they needed to push forward and try and win, and were destroyed once they had to do that. I'm Irish myself but again I'd probably prefer to watch Eriksen than anyone in the current irish side.

20 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

Exactly as you say, stale is the perfect word for the tournaments since, I would say, 2010.

Soulless is the word that comes to my mind. I still look forward to EC's and WC's and yet every time I am left disappointed in the football on display.

15 hours ago, Notone said:

Nope. IMHO this is just a trend atm, and good managers/teams will find a way to play around solid defenses. I mean playing defensively is a perfectly legit  way of playing. It might not be entertaining to watch, but any rule change will just punish smaller teams. I think that's the reason why the 3-5-2 is atm so en vogue and the false nine is falling a bit out of faour, as it offers some different options offensively, compared to the 4-2-3-1.

I agree it feels souless. Euro 2016 was a perfect example of it. Most of the matches involved one side trying to attack for 90 mins while the other sat back and defended. That is not entertaining, no matter how good the attacking side are. We all want to see even matches where both sides try and win, but the current state means that only one side tries to attack and the other hopes that there will be a counter opportunity that will win the game for them.

Of course that is a legit tactic. But the reason they tend to do it I feel is that when you have a limited window in which to train with a team then the easiest thing to do is to spend you time creating a solid system that is hard to break down. Creating a system based on passing and movement requires more time and understanding, and is hard to achieve when teams are not together for that often. Thats why you had the Spanish side being so good in the past due to their Barca understanding. 

31 minutes ago, Eggegg said:

I agree it feels souless. Euro 2016 was a perfect example of it. Most of the matches involved one side trying to attack for 90 mins while the other sat back and defended. That is not entertaining, no matter how good the attacking side are. We all want to see even matches where both sides try and win, but the current state means that only one side tries to attack and the other hopes that there will be a counter opportunity that will win the game for them.

The only way to achieve that is for tournaments to be structured in a strength vs strength format which means reducing the number of participants. This is never going to happen. Euros have already been increased to 24 teams and the WC will be a 48 team tournament by 2026. Besides that the knockout stages tend to be cagey games (with the odd exception) rather than end-to-end given what's at stake.

@Calibandar - I think that the World Cup has been stale for some time rather than just since 2010. The group stages are quite predictable with the knockout stages being cagey affairs more often than not. Increasing the Euros to 24 teams has watered down the tournament. I enjoyed it more when it was a 16 team strength vs strength format. Copa America 2016 was orders of magnitude more entertaining than Euro 2016.

@ljkeane made a good point too. It's tougher for international managers to implement a fluid attacking playing style given how little time they have to spend with the squad. We see that it can take a full season or more for club managers to stamp their style on a team. Another point is that top level club football has surpassed international football as the pinnacle of the sport. Watching La Liga, Bundesliga, EPL, Serie A week-in and week-out, internationals can't help but look like a step down in comparison.

Yeah, the group stages were more entertaining in 2014 than in 2010 because of the amount of goals that were scored and I recall the games being more open in general as well. I don't think the knockout rounds were more entertaining though. Apart from Germany's thrashing of Brazil, the goals dried up and the games tended to be just as cagey.

10 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Yeah, the group stages were more entertaining in 2014 than in 2010 because of the amount of goals that were scored and I recall the games being more open in general as well. I don't think the knockout rounds were more entertaining though. Apart from Germany's thrashing of Brazil, the goals dried up and the games tended to be just as cagey.

Yeah thats exactly my recollection as well.

The Scottish FA have approached the IFA with a wish to talk to manager Michael O'Neill.

He's done a terrific job with NI - probably the second greatest manager in our history. But I think he may well have taken this team as far as they can go. He's made our nation punch well above our weight with a limited pool of players. Scotland have better players available for selection than NI, so surely he'd fancy working with better players to see what he could do. It helps that he lives in Scotland, too. It would be a great move for O'Neill and for Scottish football, in my opinion.

I see that that Sammy fellow has taken himself out of consideration for the Everton post owing to the board taking too long. 

I nearly wept. 

For joy. 

Yes, I know everyone saw that coming miles off, and I didn’t need to space it out. 

18 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Maybe we'll get him when Mourinho fucks off to PSG.

Heh, I don't really believe those rumours but if it does happen, Silva would be a good option. I doubt Neymar and Mbappe would fancy playing as auxiliary left and right backs respectively whenever PSG come up against one of Europe's big boys though.

Some good news on the injury front for us: Pogba is close to returning but is still a doubt for the Newcastle game and Rojo played 45 minutes for the U23s tonight.

Some bad news on the transfer front: Reports in Spain are saying that Barca are very close to reaching an agreement to sign Griezmann.

5 minutes ago, Eggegg said:

The lack of imagination when it comes to hiring managers in the prem is staggering sometimes.

I'm not sure how that follows from what he posted, unless you're saying there are obvious better options for Everton than Silva if they could get him?

9 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Heh, I don't really believe those rumours but if it does happen,

At this stage I'm more just hoping.

10 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Reports in Spain are saying that Barca are very close to reaching an agreement to sign Griezmann.

That would be irritating. Especially since if true you know it's because Woodward made no effort to solidify a later deal once the transfer ban was put in place, having assumed the work was already done.

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

It's also being reported that Everton have failed in their attempt to bring in Marco Silva.

Should I repeat my joke about him being a smart guy? No? Alright, then.

Seriously, he would probably be a good choice, seeing as he made the steaming pile that was Hull competitive, and has done well with Watford so far, but I think I said a thread back that I didn’t expect him to join us now - him just having changed job into something seemingly good and possibly stable, and us being .. well, you know.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

I'm not sure how that follows from what he posted, unless you're saying there are obvious better options for Everton than Silva if they could get him

Yes there maybe are. But it would be the third prem club to go for him in a couple of years. ( plus he’s been linked with everyone else too)

even outside of silva it’s usually the same suspects who get the interviews. Fat Sam would have shown even less imagination 

11 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

There are potentially some absolute nightmare groups for England in the draw, basically any draw that isn't Poland, England, Serbia, New Zealand (assuming they get through) sees England struggle.

Dont' be rude. For the first time in my life Poland are pretty definitely better than England right now.

Archived