College Football 2018: Countdown to Kickoff

Ded As Ned

On 10/31/2018 at 7:47 AM, Rhom said:

This morning on Golic and Wingo, I listened as they had an honest to God conversation with Paul Finebaum about Kentucky having a clearly defined path to the college football playoffs.

Is this real life @Ded As Ned can this be happening in my lifetime?!!?

I know we don't have a real chance, but the fact we are talking about it on the cusp of November is something I never thought I'd see.  Georgia is a 12 point favorite this weekend.  And they deserve to be.  But its at Kentucky, and it wouldn't be crazy to see us win that game.  I am excited to see us go out there and hopefully leave it all on the field.

Kentucky does have a clearly defined path, it just involves beating both Georgia and (most likely) Alabama.   I'd love to witness that, personally, and who knows really?  Bama has smashed everyone but they have had a pretty light schedule so far.  Have they even like thrown a pass in the 4th Q this year?  They are clearly head and shoulders above everyone else right now, but maybe, just maybe, the lack of being accustomed to adversity hurts them when they finally get challenged starting on Saturday.  Saban probably has them ready for this eventuality, but we are talking about kids here and you just never know.  I think Bama will win, but they're favored by 14.5 in Baton Rouge and I think LSU will put up more of a fight than that.  Anyway UK beats Georgia this weekend and now you're cookin' with gas.  It's definitely possible.  I've got UK beating the spread at least.  

Technically all the 1-loss teams can still get in with the amount of football left to be played.  WVU could technically still make it, but won't.  Similar to UK the hardest games on the path are yet to come.  

Here's the thoughts of the overly optimistic side of the Kentucky fanbase.  Georgia is a better team than we are.  But its at home and they aren't infinitely better than us.  Its doable, if unlikely.

Alabama in the SEC Title game is an impossible task, but... LSU at home, at night vs Bama?  They could win that game.  And then I'd take Kentucky's chances against LSU.

Is it unlikely?  Of course.  But it is now November 1 and we are actually talking scenarios where it could happen.  And that's not something I ever thought I'd see in my lifetime.

Just got home from WVU Texas.  That’s probably the best game I’ve ever attended in person.  Looking forward to watching a replay on YouTube so I can see what some of the penalties were about.

Also, turns out, Dana Holgorsen Has gigantic fucking balls.

when they lined up to go for 2 i was like noooooo don’t do it!  Get the tie!  And then they scored, but Texas apparently got the time out so they had to do it again.  I was like SURELY they’ll just go for the tie now that Texas has seen your hand.  Nope.  Try it again... and fucking get it.  I could not believe they went for it the first time, let alone twice, and was even more shocked that it actually worked!

Glad to see Michigan beat Penn St. Wasn't happy about them trying to run it up, I'm not a fan of that.

I was rooting for Kentucky and watched a little, too bad they lost but has to have their fan base happy as hell.

I also watched some of the WVU Texas game and it was a fun game. Surprised to hear it came down to a 2 pt conversion, that didn't work out so well for the Titans in the NFL recently.

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

Glad to see Michigan beat Penn St. Wasn't happy about them trying to run it up, I'm not a fan of that.

I was rooting for Kentucky and watched a little, too bad they lost but has to have their fan base happy as hell.

I also watched some of the WVU Texas game and it was a fun game. Surprised to hear it came down to a 2 pt conversion, that didn't work out so well for the Titans in the NFL recently.

I wasn’t a big fan of running up the score until WVU got into the Big 12.  Now if we have an opportunity to blow someone out, fucking do it.  :lol:

I think it’s just the nature of the league, a lot of the teams in the conference play at a fast pace and slowing the game down can get them out of rhythm and gives the other team a chance to mount a comeback.  But mainly it’s becuase WVU has been on the receiving end of a hammering by pretty much every single team in the conference so any time we’ve got an opportunity for a convincing win over one of them my general attitude is ‘punch in another one’.

16 hours ago, S John said:

I wasn’t a big fan of running up the score until WVU got into the Big 12.  Now if we have an opportunity to blow someone out, fucking do it.  :lol:

I think it’s just the nature of the league, a lot of the teams in the conference play at a fast pace and slowing the game down can get them out of rhythm and gives the other team a chance to mount a comeback.  But mainly it’s becuase WVU has been on the receiving end of a hammering by pretty much every single team in the conference so any time we’ve got an opportunity for a convincing win over one of them my general attitude is ‘punch in another one’.

My main issue with what Michigan was doing was that they were up like 28-0 in the 4th quarter and still had all the starters out there risking injury for no reason.  Same issue I had with Detroit Lions yesterday from the other side of things, they were down, no chance to win, Stafford had been sacked 9 times already and yet the starters are still out there with under 2 min to play and he gets sacked again. There is nothing to gain and a LOT to lose by doing that.

3 hours ago, dbunting said:

My main issue with what Michigan was doing was that they were up like 28-0 in the 4th quarter and still had all the starters out there risking injury for no reason.  Same issue I had with Detroit Lions yesterday from the other side of things, they were down, no chance to win, Stafford had been sacked 9 times already and yet the starters are still out there with under 2 min to play and he gets sacked again. There is nothing to gain and a LOT to lose by doing that.

I see, yea I agree with that.  No sense risking injury to key players with the game out of reach.  Keep trying to score with the back ups though!

1 hour ago, S John said:

I see, yea I agree with that.  No sense risking injury to key players with the game out of reach.  Keep trying to score with the back ups though!

Absolutely, let the back ups and seniors do what they can.

5 hours ago, dbunting said:

The playoff committee forces teams to run up the score ever since they rewarded Ohio state for doing so in the first year (and every year since).

thats a result of the committee watching at most one game a week, not knowing how to look up a highlight on YouTube, and basing all their decisions on glancing at a handful of box scores of blue blood programs (though most times that level of detail isn’t utilized). :-/

Rather too much going on last night for me to pay much attention to it, but Buffalo dominated Kent State 48-14. They are now 9-1 on the season.

Unfortunately their one loss was a blowout to Army, which is why I'm fine with them not getting any consideration from AP voters.

On 11/5/2018 at 11:32 AM, lokisnow said:

The playoff committee forces teams to run up the score ever since they rewarded Ohio state for doing so in the first year (and every year since).

thats a result of the committee watching at most one game a week, not knowing how to look up a highlight on YouTube, and basing all their decisions on glancing at a handful of box scores of blue blood programs (though most times that level of detail isn’t utilized). :-/

Committee really is terrible.  I almost wish we'd just go straight computer modelling because there is a definite stink of bias coming off the committee. Or we could just expand to 8, power 5 conf champ gets in, and the old fogeys can sit around debating who gets the 3 at-large spots.

Archived