Football: CL is back

Mark Antony

And Köln are too stupid to...

They trashed a 1-0 lead against Stuttgart. They were really in the game. And then after a Horn howler it's suddenly 1-2 before halftime. Horn was also partly in for the third (together with Hector). Final score 2-3. Totally unnecessary defeat for them.

This is really poor from Chelsea. Ok, City are really good and if you’re too loose you might get badly beaten but they just played on Thursday, at least put them under a bit of pressure to see if they’re feeling the effects.

Pedro has been poor. Chelsea should have gone with the same lineup they used against us. Maybe Giroud in for Morata. A target man would have been useful to them in this game especially since they were never going to have as much of the play as they did against us and would need to go more direct.

I still have this weird feeling that top PL teams have let the way free for City to pack the title up.

I mean. We Utd lost 1-2 to them at fucking home. Arsenal crashed 0-3 to them at home, while usually they show a minimum of pride when playing at Emirates. Liverpool crashed 0-5 to them at home, although they were not given positives circumstances back then. Chelsea lost 0-1 at home too. 

Spurs are still to receive City. We'll see, but I can do a fair call that City will probably win it too.

Not to mention all the big games played at Eithad. 

Do you see what I am feeling ? I used to say this before, but I think that City's brillance this season is MOSTLY down to other contender's weakness and lack of ambition when playing them. It's hard for me to acknowledge that, but only Klopp managed to outplay them with ambition.

24 minutes ago, Sandokan I Ironborn said:

I used to say this before, but I think that City's brillance this season is MOSTLY down to other contender's weakness and lack of ambition when playing them. It's hard for me to acknowledge that, but only Klopp managed to outplay them with ambition.

I really don't think that's the case. With strong finishes to the season Liverpool, United and Spurs could all potentially finish with over 80 points. Most seasons that's right in the hunt for a title, it's City being so good that's killed off the title race not the other contenders being notably weak.

As for the individual games, yeah, Chelsea and Arsenal have been fairly insipid in the last couple of games but Spurs tried to apply pressure in their game, and didn't play that badly, City just played really well in passing round their pressing game. Similarly before the red card in the Liverpool game at the Etihad Liverpool had caused them some problems but they were already behind when Mane got sent off. Mourinho hasn't really done anything different to what he always does in big games this season. City are just a really, really good team.

Much better 2nd half. I guess it's nice that we managed to come from behind and win in two consecutive games. Another disappointing performance overall though especially considering we barely scraped a win against a Palace side ravaged by injuries. We were poor in the 1st half against Chelsea as well. Liverpool are gonna tear us a new one if we put in 1st half performances like that.

Great goal to win it by Matic. That's his banger for the season.

Oh yeah, and it's unfortunate that Sanchez is undroppable because he has been poor (not just this game were he was fucking awful). Think he only played well against Yeovil and maybe one other game. Worst of all, Martial who was on a great run of form is being sidelined or played out of position. Shaw needs to come back in as well. 

That's what you would call a MU-type game, right ? "we were utterly tenuous when defending against world-class forwards Townsend & Benteke, and blatantly clueless when it comes to attack. But, well, thanks to an absolute piece of brillance from one of our midfielders, we managed to get it in the stoppage time."

(what is funny is that the 2nd sentence was already an habit by the time of Sir Alex)

Otherwise.

Despite Matic being the hero of the day, we -again- have to credit Lukaku for the burden of himself he gives to the team. Shaw's substitution instead of Young have helped, too. It was probably the actual turning point of the game. Then, perhaps José is going to understand that playing a 33yo right-footed former winger as LB is nowhere near a good plan. (Did you say "optimistic" ?)

De Gea have again saved us from being sunk by this Benteke header, too. 

That's the most of the positive things we can say on MU players. The rest was shit, leaving Selhurst with 3pts is almost a hold-up considering how we played in 1st half.

This derby of England is going to be VERY exciting though. =)

PSG v. Real is gonna be good. PSG without Neymar and Real without Kroos and Modric. There was talk that Marcelo, Kroos and Modric would all miss this game but Marcelo starts are Kroos and Modric are fit enough to be on the bench. This does give PSG the advantage in midfield though. 

Liverpool have rotated players, but not as much as I would like.  Trent, Robertson, VVD and Salah get a break.  Gini isn't fit yet after the flu to offer a break to one of our MFs.  I think Ings could have taken Firmino's place tonight to give him a break.  Perhaps there will be early subs to give players some rest without putting the tie at risk.

That's rather a disappointing night in Paris so far. PSG have not looked so dangerous, but neither has Real.

It seems like Cavani is somewhat missing, and I would put Meunier on for Alves without a doubt. Di Maria has offered a lot of options but he definitely misses too much passes.

To be continued...

Real Madrid just turn it on in the CL. They've been surprisingly disciplined defensively, moreso than they have been at any point in La Liga this season. Ronaldo is clicking as well after a slow start to the season. 31 goals + 5 assists in 33 games is a great return and shows that he is still the most important player at Real since nobody else in that team is capable of scoring consistently.

ETA. Verratti sent off. That should be game over for PSG. Maybe Zidane should consider subbing Modric on for Kovačić since he is on a booking and has been on the edge with some of his tackling.

Archived