Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Varysblackfyre321

If you had to choose one character to be fostered who would it be and what house should foster them?

Recommended Posts

My picks: Arya and Briene to bear Island-think I think the Mormonts would show them respect for not strictly conforming to their society's gender roles.

Little finger to the Freys: the type cleverness and trickery LF is natural at would have garnered him praise. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The parenting in this series is so atrocious that I think a number of characters would have benefited from being in a different family environment.

Robin definitely, agreed Ned and Catelyn would have been brilliant for this.  He needs someone gentle because he is a sickly child but he is sooo spoilt and mollycoddled that is tantamount to useless after Lysa had her way.  I think just about anyone, with the possible exception of Tarly and the Clegange brother's father would have done him some good.

Joffrey certainly.  Since he is just supper entitled but he appears mentally and physically as able as the next person I would say Randyl Tarly might have brought him down a peg or two.  This being said, being made to obey might have backfired and he may have become a psychopath who enjoys hurting others sooner lol

Both Tyrion and Sam would have benefited, once it was manifest that they are clever, bookish and inquisitive if not suited for battle, some intellectual sort such as the reader or Maester Aemon had he not been at the NW, but that sort of character.  Still train them a bit in combat in case they need to save their lives.  In fact this goes for Tyrion because Sam eventually managed the odd feat lol although equally Tyrion has been known to do his best to save his skin even in a battle situation so yes, give them some training but concentrate on giving the guys books lol.

I was going to say Ramsay should have been legitimised and sent to Tywin, but this being said, Tywin has been known to use the Mountain before so maybe not!

To be honest, the more I think of scenarios the more I think they could all have backfired as well.  Parenting is certainly not an easy task lol

Edited by Morgana Lannister

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Morgana Lannister said:

Tyrion and Sam would have benefited, once it was manifest that they are clever, bookish and inquisitive if not suited for battle, some intellectual sort such as the reader or Maester Aemon had he not been at the NW, but that sort of character.  Still train them a bit in combat in case they need to save their lives.  In fact this goes for Tyrion because Sam eventually managed the odd feat lol although equally Tyrion has been known to do his best to save his skin even in a battle situation so yes, give them some training but concentrate on giving the guys books lol.

I was going to say Ramsay should have been legitimised and sent to Tywin, but this being said, Tywin has been known to use the Mountain before so maybe not!

 

Tyrion and Samwel I'd feel Lord Tarth would have been a fine fit as well-he'd allow his daughter to play warrior likely he'd treat them fairly and respect their interests-and for Tyrion again (and this may sound weird), the Reeds-think they're outsiders themselves, and they're short so Tyrion won't feel that excluded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love House Targaryen but it is understandable why they do not foster children into their home.  They have to maintain the outward appearance of impartiality.  Prince Viserys could have benefited from fostering with the Daynes.  They could have made a strong man out of him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

My picks: Arya and Briene to bear Island-think I think the Mormonts would show them respect for not strictly conforming to their society's gender roles.

Little finger to the Freys: the type cleverness and trickery LF is natural at would have garnered him praise. 

Fosters are done to form alliances and reinforce existing ones. Hence Ned and Bob in the vale

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Robert Arryn sent to Twyin or Stannis.

Shireen Baratheon sent to house Stark.she needs a warm family.

Arya Stark sent to house Martell. She would become best friends with Sand Snakes.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bran - Royce of Runestone to learn to be a knight.

Robb - Tywin Lannister to learn cunning 

Arya - Martells so she can be herself

Joffrey - Bear Island to learn hardship and how to be humble. 

Tommon - he can stay in KL he seems to be a very sweet lad. 

Robert Arryn - Stannis to teach him duty and how to be a proper Lord. 

Tyrion - The Reader because Tywin wishs to punish Tyrion thinking the IB will chew him up and spit him out but Tyrion ends up being very happy with such an educated man. 

Edmure - Randyll Tarly to become a better soldier 

Arianne Martell - lady Dustin to teach her how to keep her legs closed 

Little Walder - Tywin Lannister to learn even more cunning from the master himself. Little Walder would own the Twins in no time lol. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Tyrion and Samwel I'd feel Lord Tarth would have been a fine fit as well-he'd allow his daughter to play warrior likely he'd treat them fairly and respect their interests-and for Tyrion again (and this may sound weird), the Reeds-think they're outsiders themselves, and they're short so Tyrion won't feel that excluded.

Lord Tarth may have been good for a number of kids I think, including Arya now that I think of it.  The Reeds, well Bran is the obvious, but his kids were fostered with the Starks so this in a sort of way happened.  I wonder what effect of that greenseeing environment would have had on Sam and Tyrion though...  Tyrion seems very skeptical but I think that will change in the next couple of books...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stormking902 said:

Bran - Royce of Runestone to learn to be a knight.

Robb - Tywin Lannister to learn cunning 

Arya - Martells so she can be herself

Joffrey - Bear Island to learn hardship and how to be humble. 

Tommon - he can stay in KL he seems to be a very sweet lad. 

Robert Arryn - Stannis to teach him duty and how to be a proper Lord. 

Tyrion - The Reader because Tywin wishs to punish Tyrion thinking the IB will chew him up and spit him out but Tyrion ends up being very happy with such an educated man. 

Edmure - Randyll Tarly to become a better soldier 

Arianne Martell - lady Dustin to teach her how to keep her legs closed 

Little Walder - Tywin Lannister to learn even more cunning from the master himself. Little Walder would own the Twins in no time lol. 

 

I agree and the way you express it is hilarious, love it!:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sweetrobin to Stannis Baratheon of Dragonstone so he can help him to toughen up a bit. If not him then I think Joffrey should have been sent to Stannis... or as others have suggested, Randyll Tarly would have been interesting or even Tywin. Either boy might have grown up a little tougher with him breathing down their necks from an easy age.

Other suggestions, Arya to House Reed of Greywater Watch so she be a tomboy is peace. Sansa and Bran could have both gone to the Vale, the former in preparation for marriage and the other to be a squire. Finally, I think Samwell Tarly might have benefited as a ward of the Hightowers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

Fosters are done to form alliances and reinforce existing ones. Hence Ned and Bob in the vale

You are absolutely right but if I have children to be both fostered and married and I was also willing to foster, given the houses whose alliance would benefit my family I would try to see if I could find the more suitable also given their personalities and training needs.  It makes the "matching" a little more complicated but if successfully done the rewards would be greater too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Little Sandor Clegane, after Gregor burned him, to Winterfell. Maester Luwin would most likely have been more competent than the maester the Cleganes had, and he could have been raised in a close-knit family where even the daughter managed to learn to fight. Plus, knighthood would have been de-emphasized, since it's largely a religious rite of the southron seven-worshippers, enabling him to "get ahead" as merely a great fighter, like Brandon and Ned. Probably he'd be even taller, with better medical treatment for his burns. If his mysterious sister was still alive, she should have been left at Winterfell, too.

I like the idea of Joffrey at the Tarlys. Bear Island, I think, is more geared to empowering women, and Robert really seemed to hate his brother Stannis. But Arya on Bear Island would have been great. Probably a better fit than Dorne, which is as far as you can get from the North, whereas Bear Islanders are bannermen of the Starks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zandru said:

Little Sandor Clegane, after Gregor burned him, to Winterfell. Maester Luwin would most likely have been more competent than the maester the Cleganes had, and he could have been raised in a close-knit family where even the daughter managed to learn to fight. Plus, knighthood would have been de-emphasized, since it's largely a religious rite of the southron seven-worshippers, enabling him to "get ahead" as merely a great fighter, like Brandon and Ned. Probably he'd be even taller, with better medical treatment for his burns. If his mysterious sister was still alive, she should have been left at Winterfell, too.

I like the idea of Joffrey at the Tarlys. Bear Island, I think, is more geared to empowering women, and Robert really seemed to hate his brother Stannis. But Arya on Bear Island would have been great. Probably a better fit than Dorne, which is as far as you can get from the North, whereas Bear Islanders are bannermen of the Starks.

Oh, poor Sandor yes definitely!  Hopefully in fact as soon as it became obvious what sort of temperament Gregor had!  Yes, the Starks would have been great but I guess we are sending so many people their way that if not, although he has not appeared on page yet, that Lord Tarth may have been very good too.  In fact anyone who is not so harsh that is nasty and too lofty like Tywin or Randyll.

Shireen also in great need of fostering, and some kind family.  At this stage the Starks could set up a "children's home" lol so trying to find alternatives for other kids.  Again, she is bookish so I probably put her in a similar category needs-wise as Tyrion and Sam.  Davos was really a superb father figure for her but he would have probably been too low born, plus he had his hands full first smuggling and then as Hand to her dad.  I was thinking maybe even the Tyrells, although maybe too many beautiful young maids in the household and she may have gotten a complex; either that or make the most of what she is.  Certainly she would have received an education there .  Now, if Willas turns out to be a really nice guy and not shallow, that could have been a good dynastic betrothal too for in the future as she is so much younger but still or maybe foster her with Garlan and his wife?

Arya not too sure.  Certainly the Mormont women seems like where she would have been happy or even Dorne and not being anti-feminist here or anything but, in her society, wouldn't it have been a little advantageous as well, even if she chose to reject the skills later to learn some of the most traditional female skills too?

What I am thinking here is that, okay, most of us have subjects we love and subjects we hate and although I am in favour of allowing everyone to follow their "vocational call" and also in favour of a more comprehensive global approach to education, hence I thought that Tyrion and Sam should learn a little in terms of at least being able to hold a sword or something, even if they were not going to make knights lol.

If it were me fostering these kids I would make them all, male and female, take a number of core subjects such and reading and writing and maths and a little fighting regardless of their gender and disposition and them let them concentrate on what they enjoy/are good at later, like in their teenage years.  I guess though if I had made Jaime or Sandor, say take needle work they would have stuck me with the pointed end lol I guess in that society making a guy do needle work would have been out of the question as they would have been mocked for it.

I guess one that might have come out alright out of the fostering, had it not been for him falling for Cat and either simply having a chip on the shoulder or being made to feel inferior by Hoster (which is unclear) is Littlefinger.  Okay, he haven't seen him in battle but despite losing a duel to Brandon, who was supposed to be one of the best, I guess he learn to both hold himself with a sword and be really good academically.  Of course this is certainly not how I would like my fictional foster kids to turn out but it terms of skills it seems really neat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Kandrax said:

Little Walder to Gregor Clegane.

Wow, nobody deserves that lol  not even Ramsay or Joffrey if there was still a chance that good parenting might have mitigated their tendencies.  Anyone under Gregor would have gone the same way as poor Sandor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think for most characters fostering would not make much of a difference. Ned and Robert were both fostered by Jon Arryn yet ended up having very different values.

However it would be very beneficial for some characters to be sent elsewhere. 

Sweet Robin would probably fair best to be near Oldtown as their maesters could provide him (likely) better care for his shaking sickness (epilepsy?). Plus the climate is probably best for his delicate health. He'd probably get ill often in the North. 

However with the Hightower's being very reclusive right now they may not be the best candidates. Perhaps the Daynes would be better suited. Tarly would likely break the poor boy.

As others have said, Arya would do well with the Reeds. They employ similar techniques to the water dancers with their stealthiness and if Meera is anything to go by Arya would have no problem fitting in as a Tomboy.

This last one isn't very logical, but Joffrey to the Mormonts just so he can get beat up by a girl (again). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Morgana Lannister said:

Wow, nobody deserves that lol  not even Ramsay or Joffrey if there was still a chance that good parenting might have mitigated their tendencies.  Anyone under Gregor would have gone the same way as poor Sandor.

Ten years later the Riverlands  would have its own Gregor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×