Cobra Kai

GoTCannibal

From what I've seen of the original movies up and through the Kobra seasons, it's kind of circular in motion.

So they never run out of story it just circles around in new form and faces.

Eta: This may go on for years lol. Master teaches pupil, pupil becomes master teaches pupil......endless line.

20 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

They’re running out of story… aren’t they?

I don't know. That seemed fun, thoighb10 episodes might be a tad long...

There is room and places for the story to go...if they want to go there...

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

Halfway through the season. Ye of little faith who thought the show was running out of story.

I wasn't sure where it could go...but that end scene?  Loved it!

54 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’m watching too… it’s okay.  The guy playing Terry Silver is as terrible an actor as I recall.

Are any of the old guard that good though?

Still think that there is an opportunity to have Hilary Swank come back as Tory's mom...just saying...

What I liked about the first season was the injection of reality and recognition that Johnny was a real person not a cardboard cutout.  That he has a genuine point of view.  They do keep attempting to do that.  

However, the repeated public rumbles,  the home invasions, the active antagonism between the various dojos.  Look a gang task force would be investigating these organizations at this point.  Particularly after the school fight at the end of season 2 and Miguel’s serious injury.

No, that the war continues without any official involvement is not believable in my mind.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What I liked about the first season was the injection of reality and recognition that Johnny was a real person not a cardboard cutout.  That he has a genuine point of view.  They do keep attempting to do that.  

However, the repeated public rumbles,  the home invasions, the active antagonism between the various dojos.  Look a gang task force would be investigating these organizations at this point.  Particularly after the school fight at the end of season 2 and Miguel’s serious injury.

No, that the war continues without any official involvement is not believable in my mind.

I want to agree with you...I do, in fact, on a micro level agree, but in the macro...that isn't a realistic take on what they seem to be trying to do with the show.  This isn't The Wire.  It isn't event Law & Order.  It's a show that would be broadcast in reruns on SyFy, despite the lack of flashy special effects or scientific value, but for it's fantastical elements at its core.  It's, for lack of a better term, a soap opera.  It's a modern take on the flashiness of a 80s Prime Time Soap.  It's melodramatic. It's cheese.  Yes, it has karate (and the fight choreography, particularly in the final two episodes at the Tournament was particularly improved over past seasons).  Yes it makes more sense that there'd be police involvement...but really, is that the show we're watching?  Friendship, redemption, parental relationships...these are all things this show is looking at through kaleidoscope that has the nostalgia and lessons of the 80s on on end of the lens and how the 21st century interprets that on the other end.  And it's melodrama.  You can't think about this too hard, or you'll never get anything out of it. 

Finished the season. I do think the fear that this season would be light on story proved wrong -- and it seems like they've a terrific set up for S5's story as well, and in fact for me this season was tighter and better-constructed than last season. The return of Terry Silver has helped reinvigorate the show, IMO. I also think actually making Anthony LaRusso a genuine character, and introducing a new kid on the Cobra Kai side to be a foil, was smart -- we can't always be looking at the same six kids and their drama.

I definitely think this show is not one that needs to be judged by real-world standards. There always was a suspension of disbelief in the Karate Kid universe, whether it was no one reporting Johnny and his buddies for beating the hell out of Daniel or murderous duels on Okinawa just sort of being a thing everyone accepted. While the school rumble was kind of over the top for how public it was, for the most part they kept that drama in more private confines this season. So, right on board with @Jaxom 1974

Spoiler

I quite liked Silver descending into addictive mania thanks to Kreese... and it biting Kreese on the ass as he proceeds to take everything from him to fuel Silver's sense of grandeur.

Chozen's appearance was unexpected, but promising for the next season.

I really liked Miguel's story, even if it was largely reactive to what Johnny was doing -- treating him as teacher's pet, and then that brutal moment where he thinks Johnny is opening up to him and he tells him he loves him... only to realize Johnny is so drunk that he thinks he's Robby. That scene really hit for me. 

12 minutes ago, Ran said:

Hide contents

I quite liked Silver descending into addictive mania thanks to Kreese... and it biting Kreese on the ass as he proceeds to take everything from him to fuel Silver's sense of grandeur.

Chozen's appearance was unexpected, but promising for the next season.

I really liked Miguel's story, even if it was largely reactive to what Johnny was doing -- treating him as teacher's pet, and then that brutal moment where he thinks Johnny is opening up to him and he tells him he loves him... only to realize Johnny is so drunk that he thinks he's Robby. That scene really hit for me. 

Spoiler

For next season:

I absolutely love the idea of Miguel and Johnny being on a "Okinawan Style Journey of Discovery" into Mexico - the neat part being that BOTH are fish out of water...though I missed something, as I thought Carmen and her mom discussed that they were Ecuadoran?  Did I miss that his dad was Mexican though?

That Daniel can come to the realization, as he did this season, that there does have to be growth in the karate, that he turns to Chozen...that's just going to be so much fun.  

It was good to get Anthony more involved.  The way they did it was quite the script flip, and now to see where it goes?  It will be good to see if there can be a solution there that doesn't involve Anthony learning karate though.  That's a ship that sailed on that character and I don't need him learning it.

Spoiler

Re: Miguel's dad, he noted to Daniel that he looked up his father and discovered he now lived in Mexico.

I agree on Anthony and karate. I can see them making the attempt to teach him, but ideally it's just not for him -- and that should be okay. 

Speaking of the realistic vs unrealistic elements, I did like the teacher giving a tour to the middle-schooler mentioning how the science lab was reduced because they were forced to remove any item that can be used as a weapon. lol And the cafeteria is still showing damage.

6 minutes ago, Ran said:
  Hide contents

Re: Miguel's dad, he noted to Daniel that he looked up his father and discovered he now lived in Mexico.

I agree on Anthony and karate. I can see them making the attempt to teach him, but ideally it's just not for him -- and that should be okay. 

Spoiler

I missed that from Miguel.  But I'm fine with it.  His dad is going to end up being some sort of drug lord though, right?  Though one article I read suggested that his dad will also know some sort of karate...

As to Anthony and dealing with the bullying...does the show use this opportunity to explore gun violence in schools?  

It was pretty good, but I do hope season 5 is it for this show. I don't want to see a show I really enjoy out stay it's welcome.

It's just so funny, since two of my closest friends run their own karate school and can honestly relate to what it's like having a rivalry with their former karate school, which started treating them very poorly towards the end.

Archived