HBO’s Westworld VI- This Game Is Meant For You...[SPOILERS]

Ramsay B.

2 minutes ago, RumHam said:

That the producers are messing with us and wanted us to think at first that it was a flashback? That's all I got. 

I did think it might be a flashback at first, but that seems like a lot of effort for a passing thought of the audience?   I can't even come  up with a theory though.

Gross.

http://deadline.com/2018/05/peta-hbo-westworld-elephant-animal-abuse-1202384139/

UPDATED with response from HBO, May 7:  Earlier today, PETA blasted HBO for using abused elephants in the latest episode of Westworld from Have Trunk Will Travel, one of the last companies that provide elephants for the entertainment industry. The animal-rights org’s message included video footage from the HTWT compound taken in 2011 that showed elephants being abused, one of them an elephant that appeared in Sunday night’s episode.

In a statement obtained by Deadline from HBO, the cable network says the treatment of the animals in the HTWT footage does not reflect the network’s on-set practices and clarifies that all animals used in their shows “are treated with the utmost care and respect for their health, safety and well-being.” Here’s the full statement:

All of the animals featured on HBO series are treated with the utmost care and respect for their health, safety and well-being. A certified animal safety representative from American Humane was present at all times during any animal action on the set of Westworld. The AHA has confirmed that the animals were well-treated, and the production received the designation of “No Animals Were Harmed.” We are reviewing the circumstances related to archival training footage which included one of the elephants that appeared in the series. Of course, none of this video was shot during the production and does not in any way reflect practices on our sets.

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

It looks like I am not the only person who thought that "graces' mannerisms were very similar to those of teresa.  this can't just be a coincidence?  so what would be a reasonable theory there?

Was there ever a mention of Teresa having a family? Maybe Grace could be her daughter, although I'm not sure how to connect that fact with her showing up in RajWorld.

I have a deep suspicion that Grace is William's daughter, because she had to make sure the guy was not a Host. She probably caught her dad spying on her before. And she's in RajWorld to stay away from him. No WestWorld for her.

The person she reminded me of was William's wife, both from Abernathy's picture and from the retirement scene.

6 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I have a deep suspicion that Grace is William's daughter, because she had to make sure the guy was not a Host. She probably caught her dad spying on her before. And she's in RajWorld to stay away from him. No WestWorld for her.

The person she reminded me of was William's wife, both from Abernathy's picture and from the retirement scene.

I think that would most probably really suck, because we would almost certainly see some kind of reunion end where he sacrifices himself to save his daughter, realizes his own humanity or some similar tacky cliche BS.

19 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I’ve read a few theories that speculate that Emily’s middle name is Grace, and that she goes by that because she hate’s her father. Regardless, I think you’re right to suggest that this person knows the hosts are spying on the guests.

Also, your avatar is gone. We can see your feathers! Time to get a new, Pokémon themed avi. There are lots of birds to choose from.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Also, your avatar is gone. We can see your feathers! Time to get a new, Pokémon themed avi. There are lots of birds to choose from.

I know, I've bitched about it to Ran. Why?????

Buckwheat drew that birdie for me. And added the whip when I had to beat up on my peeps!

16 hours ago, dmc515 said:

No, the showrunners have confirmed her choice to seek out her daughter is an (and the first) act of free will.  Not incidentally, in the same interview they also refused to confirm if Dolores killing Ford was:

That scene is very interesting for a number of ways, but I don't think it's an indication Hector is still following a narrative.  It's emphasizing Giancarlo Esposito's "elephant and the stake" metaphor from the previous episode.  Even as the hosts became "woke," they are still going to rely on their conditioning.  Both their nature ("core code") and nurture (narrative programming) is going to imbue how and what choices they make - even if/when they achieve "free will."  Point is, this reflects the same way humans behave.

Anyway, this is depicted not only in Maeve's resolve to find her daughter, even though she knows that's not really her daughter, but reiterated this episode in Dolores' reaction to Abernathy.  She clearly knows he's not really her father, but that doesn't change the connection she feels due to how much time they spent together in those roles.

Exactly. But just like people those instincts/inclinations are programmed into us so again our notion of free will may just be an illusion. I think it was something David Eagleman mentioned (not saying it's his original idea) that our conscious is possibly just trying to justify what our brain always intended to do with the scenario it has been presented. eg Maeve's instinct to find her daughter is just as programmed as the majority of parents would be to go and find their child. It's not really much of a choice - even when a choice is presented. So humans and hosts are still slaves to their original programming. But yes the choice is there at least even if the opposite option is an almost impossible one. But those core instincts/values/experiences are still key to the entity that is Maeve irrespective of who put them there. It's not like any of us get to pre-select our brain layout/local environment beforehand.

16 hours ago, Pony Empress Jace said:

That doesn't mean you have no free will (as stupid people who think they're being clever will attest), it means that the decisions you make are informed by experience. And if your experience is to be Hector and say Hector things, someone who raised Hector (wrote him, built him, etc.) probably has a good shot at anticipating him.

Yeah - the more experience you have the more options you have too as the brain has more options to reach decisions with. For me Free Will isn't that much of an issue - I think it's more that some might associate lack of free will with lack of responsibility. I may want that cake but I can't eat it and say "I had no choice" and was a victim of instincts.

Actually it might be interesting to see a host under the illusion they have no free will and therefore can do what they want. Although thinking about it the visitors to the park may be the ones indulging their inner voice as presumably they exert their will over their baser instincts in the real world?

36 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I know, I've bitched about it to Ran. Why?????

Buckwheat drew that birdie for me. And added the whip when I had to beat up on my peeps!

Given your story about how you got your first cellphone,  I have a hard time picturing you beating people up.

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

I think that would most probably really suck, because we would almost certainly see some kind of reunion end where he sacrifices himself to save his daughter, realizes his own humanity or some similar tacky cliche BS.

As I suggested upthread, if Grace is Emily, I suspect her motives for being at the park are to kill her father.  That being said, William is certainly on a redemptive arc this season (which really started late in season one), so it is quite likely that the cliched scenario you hate so much would come to fruition.

20 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

As I suggested upthread, if Grace is Emily, I suspect her motives for being at the park are to kill her father.  That being said, William is certainly on a redemptive arc this season (which really started late in season one), so it is quite likely that the cliched scenario you hate so much would come to fruition.

Between elephant cruelty and stupid plot lines I may be out of Westworld much sooner that I thought.  Ed Harris sacrificing himself for his baby girl, seeing the light of his humanity come back into his eyes as he dies....ugh, gag me.

4 hours ago, RumHam said:

That the producers are messing with us and wanted us to think at first that it was a flashback? That's all I got. 

Yeah, they were just trolling us it looks like... OR Grace is Theresa and William’s love child. :P

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

:lol:     :whip:

We’re going there? OK, we’re going there:

You ----> :lol:

:tantrum:<--- Me

Theda ---> :o

:fencing:<--- Us

Kar ---> :frown5:

You ----> :box: <--- Me

dbunting ---> :crying:

You ---->:spank: <--- Me

Kar ----> :bawl: