US Politics: Sit Up Straight and Show Some Respect

Hereward

13 minutes ago, DMBouazizi said:

So helicopters have been circling my apartment for the past 45 minutes as protests over Antwon Rose being shot down running away from police have shut down the main highway and state road in eastern (not just East) Pittsburgh.  

Great time to be alive. Crack a beer for me.

1 hour ago, Jace, The Sugarcube said:

Ooh! I thought of a better one.

@Yukle

See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve.

:lol:

You made me think of this:

5 hours ago, كالدب said:

Literally, no one knows. Once you separate the child from the parents and put the parents into the system (and the child into the unaccompanied minor system) there is massive chaos - and that's even in the best circumstance. They have no built-in way of tracking what child goes with what guardians right now, nor can they find out where said guardians are or reunite them easily. 

The former head of ICE under Obama mentioned that hundreds of these kids will likely not meet their parents again until after they are 18. 

Well, it's pretty hard to keep track of people if they come here without any papers or forms of ID. Maybe you could give the parents and children a bracelet with an ID on it, although, I suspect that the same people crying about the separated families would then cry about the immigrants being treated as cattle.

And this still leaves a major question: how do you know that the people who enter the US with children are actually the parents and not human traffickers, as has happened thousands of times under Obama?

How do you know you're not the muffin man.

How do I know you're not Jim Belushi?

How exactly is a rainbow made?

How does anyone read The Federalist without going blind?

How come you gotta make me read all that stupid for no payoff?

How did Michael dunk from the free throw line?

How exactly does the sun set?

How about them Yankees?

How are you able to walk and breathe without turning into a gay?

How don't birds eat candied bugs?

How exactly does a posi-trac rear end on a Plymouth work?

It just does.

6 hours ago, DMBouazizi said:

So helicopters have been circling my apartment for the past 45 minutes as protests over Antwon Rose being shot down running away from police have shut down the main highway and state road in eastern (not just East) Pittsburgh.  

If only they would protest in some non-disruptive way! How dare they protest in a way that might inconvenience people!

20 minutes ago, Helenas Musikautomat said:

If only they would protest in some non-disruptive way! How dare they protest in a way that might inconvenience people!

It was the second night of protests, and the first to really get any attention.  Hopefully the third will be get more:

Hundreds of protesters marched onto Interstate-376 and closed it in both directions for more than five hours. Police in riot gear appeared in the early morning hours and repeatedly threatened to arrest protesters if they didn’t disperse. They didn’t until nearly 2:30 a.m. when the roadway cleared peacefully. Police made just one arrest.

Link.

2 hours ago, SweetPea said:

And this still leaves a major question: how do you know that the people who enter the US with children are actually the parents and not human traffickers, as has happened thousands of times under Obama?

LOL. You people really twist yourselves into knots to try and justify this shit, don't you?

Well, it's pretty hard to keep track of people if they come here without any papers or forms of ID. Maybe you could give the parents and children a bracelet with an ID on it, although, I suspect that the same people crying about the separated families would then cry about the immigrants being treated as cattle.

Record keeping is hard???? 

Source?

Also, let's follow this logic through. You're saying that it is preferable to lock unaccompanied children up in cages rather than risk returning them to traffickers. OK. But what do you want to happen to these kids next? 

Dumbest question ever.  As for more worthwhile queries...

2 hours ago, Jace, The Sugarcube said:

How do you know you're not the muffin man.

I just may be, but I'm trying damnit!

How do I know you're not Jim Belushi?

Because my proclivities tend far more towards John.

How exactly is a rainbow made?

With your love sweetheart.

How does anyone read The Federalist without going blind?

Adderall.

How did Michael dunk from the free throw line?

Because he's the real GOAT.

How about them Yankees?

HOW BOUT DEM YANKEES!

How are you able to walk and breathe without turning into a gay?

With tons of effort.

How don't birds eat candied bugs?

I don't get this one.

Anywho, if you want to compare Trump to Obama, that's fair.  Here's an article (and chart therein) that actually does that:

This chart combines two things: the number of people caught crossing into the US between ports of entry (apprehensions) and the number of people who came to ports of entry without immigration papers — for example, to seek asylum (“inadmissibles”). The two lines most likely to jump out at you, each of which represents one fiscal year (October-September instead of January-December), are the blue line that arcs high over the summer months and the orange line that plummets during the winter.

The blue line is 2014 — that’s what Obama was dealing with. The orange line is 2017, when Trump came into office.

Fiscal year 2018 is the red line on the chart. Compared to 2017, it’s a big increase, because 2017 was so anomalously low. But in context, it’s more like a reversion to the norm of the past few years.

It’s worth noting, by the way, that if this chart went back to 2000 or so, the past few years would all look pretty small in terms of border crossings. Unauthorized immigration into the US is still way down from historical levels. That drop has been especially pronounced among single adults coming for work — of the people still coming in, a lot of them are children, families, or other asylum seekers.

Reversion to the Obama-era norm isn’t what the Trump administration wanted, though. The president took a ton of pride in the low number of border crossings in the early months of his term — he kept bragging about it even as apprehensions crept back up in fall of 2017. When he started realizing that people were still coming in to seek asylum, he got upset that the US couldn’t just shut down the border — and pushed into action a policy agenda that would crack down on anyone trying to come to the US without papers, especially if they crossed into the country illegally.

Obama in 2014 took a mostly punitive approach to border crossers. Trump in 2018 took an entirely punitive one. But Obama was reacting partly to circumstances; Trump was reacting solely to his own desires.

Emphasis is mine.  This is a refugee crisis, plain and simple.

[citation needed]

3 hours ago, SweetPea said:

No, it is not. 

Ah yes mass conspiracy shit. With a basis of that these people do not care for their children and just sell them off to start. So dehumanize people and act you care for something when you do not.

Y'know the sad think about Breitbart is?  Andrew Breitbart was the same type of "conservative" I could get drunk in argue with - in the vein Hunter S. Thompson used to love drinking with Pat Buchanan.  But then he died walking home from a bar.  So...muahaha?

3 hours ago, SweetPea said:

Maybe that's why you should keep families together, for fuck's sake.

11 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Maybe that's why you should keep families together, for fuck's sake.

But what if the whole family is an MS13 human trafficking ring hell bent on coming over here and stealing walmart jobs while destroying your neighborhood with taco trucks and raping their way to the bank while selling drugs to babies? 

8 minutes ago, Relic said:

But what if the whole family is an MS13 human trafficking ring hell bent on coming over here and stealing walmart jobs while destroying your neighborhood with taco trucks and raping their way to the bank while selling drugs to babies? 

Think the answer to that is pretty obvious.  You change the channel until the next Law & Order episode.

Archived