Match Day 12: Saudi Arabia v Egypt; Russia v Uruguay; Iran v Portugal; Spain v Morocco

What efforts from Iran and Morocco. Both probably deserved to go through when you’ve picked through the wreckage. VAR and the referees not covering themselves in glory tonight - so many major errors. Iran and Portugal’s probably evened out but Morocco must feel so hard done by.

9 minutes ago, Prince Onyinye W. Ndidi said:

Iran have just equalised which means Spain will top the group on goals scored and avoid Uruguay. 

As was the plan all along. Bring on the Russian bear! Vamos!!!

Besides that, Pique should have been sent off, if not for the studs-first two footed tackle alone, then at least cumulatively along with that clear hand ball.

10 minutes ago, locura said:

Besides that, Pique should have been sent off, if not for the studs-first two footed tackle alone, then at least cumulatively along with that clear hand ball.

Morocco should have been a man down also for that studs up on Iniesta.

ETA. Are you talking about the ball striking Pique's hand towards the end of the game? If so, that is not a handball. Pique's hand was not in an unnatural position and made no movement towards the ball (it was down by his side and close to his body). By the rules, that is ball to hand which is not an infringement. 

I missed the penalty decision to Iran live (had flicked over to the other game). Just saw the replays. Shouldn’t have been a penalty. No way was it a deliberate handball and his arm wasn’t in an unnatural position. His arm  wasn’t high - it was just out from his side a bit while jumping for the header. And it wasn’t anywhere near the ball - but the Iran players header sent it directly to his hand. 

Bad call IMO. 

Pique did seem to have perfected the art of becoming invisible to the referee, but there was no way that was a handball. And Aspas' header was good. The linesman got it wrong, simple as that.

Didn't see much of the Iran-Portugal game but CRonaldo was lucky not to be sent off, and looking at his face you could see he knew that. No, it's not much contact but yes, it was retaliation and if Pique should have gone, so should CRonaldo.

44 minutes ago, Pierre Le Harceleur said:

I think you’re being overly kind.

To be fair, his initial reaction was right both times (no penalty). It’s just he let the players and the VAR pressure him into changing his mind.

Spain was incredibly arrogant against Morocco. Luckily, they get to face Russia, who were found out today by Uruguay.

Uruguay-Portugal would have been really interesting if Ronaldo had gotten a red card today, as he should have. Now, I expect Portugal to sneak by Uruguay in similar fashion to their performances in the Euros.

Tidy finish by Aspas to save Spain, just don’t let him take the corners.  Is DeGea underperforming even worse than Messi?  I think he’s only made one real save in three games, conceding five goals along the way and looking very uncertain most of the time. 

Both of the late games were a blend of playacting and some genuinely nasty fouls that should have seen more punishment.  The gushing narrative of Ronaldo the super hero will be silent on him missing a penalty and costing his team an easier path forward.   Iran equalized with a very soft penalty and then almost snatched a win at the very death.  If that late shot had crept in the other side of the post then Ronaldo’s missed penalty would have put Portugal out and Iran through.  Fine margins.

Portugal and Uruguay deserve each other.  Perhaps Suarez can bite both Ronaldo and Pepe, and somehow both teams get eliminated too.  

1 hour ago, Iskaral Putsch said:

Is DeGea underperforming even worse than Messi?

Hot takes! Get 'em while they're hot!

No. Neither player is underperforming. Even the accusation is hyperbole. They've both performed quite well: the only thing they've failed to do is win games single-handedly.

2 hours ago, La Albearceleste said:

No. Neither player is underperforming. Even the accusation is hyperbole. They've both performed quite well: the only thing they've failed to do is win games single-handedly.

Er, I’m not sure what you’re basing them performing quite well on?

You could maybe say Messi’s more a victim of the performance of the team around him than personally performing really badly, although he has missed a penalty and it’s a bit of a stretch to say he’s been good. De Gea’s just having a bad World Cup, he’s responsible for one of the goals in the Portugal game and he hasn’t really been good in the other two games.

54 minutes ago, Eusebio da Silva ljkeane said:

Er, I’m not sure what you’re basing them performing quite well on?

I think it's their performances?

Yeah, De Gea gave up one soft goal but otherwise, he's been fine. Like Messi, he's been let down by his team-mates: Pique and (to a lesser extent) Ramos have been plain bad, and left him exposed. 

In any case, neither player is even the biggest underperformer in their own side. Debating which is underperforming more is the literal definition of begging the question of whether either is underperforming at all. Not winning games single-handed is not the same as underperforming. 

18 minutes ago, La Albearceleste said:

Yeah, De Gea gave up one soft goal but otherwise, he's been fine. 

Not giving up soft (and that’s fairly generous) goals is kind of his job. I’d say that’s a pretty significant component of his performance. Other than that, yeah, he’s been fine but he hasn’t been notably good either. For arguably the best keeper on the planet one bad game and two fine games is underperforming.

24 minutes ago, Eusebio da Silva ljkeane said:

Not giving up soft (and that’s fairly generous) goals is kind of his job. I’d say that’s a pretty significant component of his performance. Other than that, yeah, he’s been fine but he hasn’t been notably good either. For arguably the best keeper on the planet one bad game and two fine games is underperforming.

I know that we're talking about a 'keeper here, but one bad moment = one bad game

ETA - and I would definitely say that if I was making a list of underperformers at this WC, neither De Gea nor Messi would even be in the top 10.

7 hours ago, Iskaral Putsch said:

Is DeGea underperforming even worse than Messi?  I think he’s only made one real save in three games, conceding five goals along the way and looking very uncertain most of the time. 

To be fair, he's only made one error - granted it was a big one. But look at the other goals he "gave up". One was a penalty rifled into the top corner, one was a great fee-kick curled around the wall, a 1 v 1 and a bullet header from close range. The defence in front of him is not looking too solid if you consider the other chances both Morocco and Iran were able to create. Iran should have scored two more goals as well - a free shot inside the box (just before Costa scored) which was put wide and a free header from seven yards out put over. Pique is the one who is really underperforming. Defensively him and, to a lesser extent, Ramos have been quite poor. Spain, much like Germany, are looking very vulnerable on the counter.

Archived