Football: 3rd Season Meltdown

Consigliere

12 hours ago, lmanion said:

On the other hand, Liverpool got extremely lucky with the offside calls in the CL fixtures against City.

16 hours ago, Philokles said:

You have to be quite a deluded United fan not to realise that they (and to a lesser extent the other big clubs) have been treated favourably by referees for decades now. Not because of some refereeing conspiracy, just that perhaps even subconsciously

I don't think that is necessarily something that nefarious. More like the top side usually get more of those situations in the opponent's area, and eight times the referee doesn't blow the whistle, and then he does. Same with the offside calls, the more often you're in those situation the higher the chances of scoring an irregular offside goal. And over the course of the season those decission just add up. Well, at least that could be argued for United under Ferguson, while under Mourinho the getting into the box regularly argument is somewhat weaker.

5 hours ago, Raja said:

Also, how on earth United aren't doing everything they can do get Poch is beyond me ( I know he's signed a new contract, but Mourinho isn't lasting at Utd) 

I think it will be very difficult if nigh on impossible for us to get Poch especially with the long term contract. Relations between United and Levy have been very bad since the Ezekiel Fryers incident in 2012/2013. I'd wager that Levy would rather Poch leave to any other club except United. If Mourinho is sacked, I'd rather we take a chance on Jardim instead of wasting our time chasing Poch.

8 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

On the other hand, Liverpool got extremely lucky with the offside calls in the CL fixtures against City.

That 'study' is pretty amusing though. They can't even get something as basic as their headline correct. By their own calculations, it was Leicester that were the luckiest team. According to them, United should have been six points worse off but their adjusted table shows that Leicester should have been seven points worse off. 

They also make some very dubious claims like Liverpool/Spurs game saying that Liverpool should have got the 3 points. People can argue about the 2nd penalty all they want but it was a penalty (I'm certain VAR would have given the penalty as well had it been available) - VVD made contact with Lamela without getting anywhere near the ball. They also claim that United were "lucky" to win against Swansea in August. I checked the result of that game and we won 4-0. 

I'd also argue that by the study's findings it was actually Stoke that was the unluckiest side since the study says that they should have stayed up and Huddersfield relegated. If the 'errors' denied Liverpool a CL place or the league title then there is an argument to be made but the difference between 2nd and 4th is negligible when compared to staying up vs. the cost of relegation.

I’m a bit nervous for tonight’s game.  Palace are solid at home under Hodgson and the likes of Benteke and Sakho have a lot of motivation against us.  Their counterattacking style is a challenge for us.  But mostly our fans’ schadenfreude toward Utd means we’re in a precarious position.  Any slip up means we fall harder.  

22 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

If Mourinho gets sacked any time soon, I'd be very surprised if we made a play for anyone other than Zidane.

I'd be wary of getting Zidane. He showed some tactical acumen with Real but his main quality was getting all the stars to buy into what they were doing, for the big games at least, and pull in the same direction. That wouldn't hurt for United but I doubt it'd be enough, City are just better without something to make United more than the sum of their parts. Someone with more of a track record for improving players might be a better shout.

4 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I'd be wary of getting Zidane. He showed some tactical acumen with Real but his main quality was getting all the stars to buy into what they were doing, for the big games at least, and pull in the same direction. That wouldn't hurt for United but I doubt it'd be enough, City are just better without something to make United more than the sum of their parts. Someone with more of a track record for improving players might be a better shout.

Don't get me wrong, he wouldn't be my first pick, I'm all in on the Pocchetino train, but Zidane's free, a big name, and won three CLs in a row. He's the club's first pick.

Also I wouldn't knock the ability to get players all pulling in the same direction as a key attribute. It's not dissimilar to how Fergie operated- he was never a tactical genius in terms of formation or some kind of over-arching philosophy, but he knew how to use what he had and he was a master man-manager.

2 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

It's not dissimilar to how Fergie operated- he was never a tactical genius in terms of formation or some kind of over-arching philosophy, but he knew how to use what he had and he was a master man-manager.

True, but he recognised that and tended to have number 2s who were good tactically. On top of that he was very good at creating an environment to develop players and identifying players to sign in the transfer market who would improve his sides. Zidane's never really been asked to develop a team so perhaps it's something he'll be good at but without a track record it's a bit of a gamble.

Damn. I didn't even think of Zidane. 

Also, the more I watch this City documentary, the more I see that Arteta is a big part of this backroom staff. Can't wait to see him manage a team ( and *kinda* disappointed it isn't us) 

19 hours ago, polishgenius said:

To be fair, you have to be gentle with Liverpool fans on Palace fixture weekend, it brings back sore memories. #Crystanbul #NeverForget

I know you’re just fucking around but that game was ultimately meaningless. Still wouldn’t have won the league had Liverpool won and Palace only came back cause Liverpool were trying to cut down the monstrous goal difference advantage City had. 

All this talk about luck with the refs. VAR would be helpful to avoid some of these arguments :D some great use of VAR in Serie A this weekend. Hopefully Premier League work out the kinks they had in the domestic cups and implement it next season. 

Karius to Beskitas on two year loan. Would’ve preferred him being back up over Mignolet but I guess there was just too much baggage. Hope he does well. 

Both seemed like weak fouls, but ones that the ref ultimately has to give, in the run of play at full speed. With video replay, maybe you can get around giving the red card, I guess?

Clear penalty. It wasn’t actually a red card but very hard for the ref to see (and Wan-Bissaka would have been lucky not to go, he didn’t know Salah had miscontrolled a split second before he deliberately brought him down).

Good win. Palace played quite well and it’s definitely the kind of game we would have dropped points in the start of last season.

ETA: Alisson was good too. He’s clearly not too worried about taking a touch or six on the ball.

4 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Gifted? Should Salah have stayed on his feet, staggering on as Sakho kept kicking away at him? It's a bit soft, but it's a penalty. 

I'm only operating by Isk's rules. If a big team gets a penalty against a small team it's a gift. Ref shouldn't have given it.

Archived