Stuck in my ways and fine with it!

BigFatCoward

22 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Mmmh....well it's very rare to be below 0ºC in the coldest days (unless you go to the mountaneous regions) and 8-10ºC is common. But I also have leggins that are thermal.

Then also add the fact that for some reason I prefer cold to heat :P

The problem are summers....oh my....I wanted to go to Scandinavia this summer but I finally couldn't (although, well, in the end it's been hot everywhere)...

Thermal leggings explain a lot. I only have some old pairs that I mostly used for dance practice and laying around the house. But in those, I would not go out if it was as cold as 8°C. :P

I do not think the wearing out the part of trousers between the thighs/just under the butt is necessarily connected with cycling - my jeans tend to do it too, and I basically never ride a bike.

On 8/19/2018 at 10:11 AM, Seli said:

I am looking at the number of shoes people here claim to own, then looking at my own slowly expanding collection and doubting myself a bit. But no I can defend every single pair I currently own.

I am not at all collecting shoes but I think it is defensible to own a reasonable amount, partly because they last longer if one does not wear them so often. Depending on the sports and leisure activities one does and the seasons one might need shoes not even worn once a year.

I have something like

- two pairs of running shoes and I will need another one now that I run more frequently

- one pair of heavy mountain boots I have not worn for several years because I have not been to the mountains for quite a while

-one lighter hiking boot (too light for glaciers) I wear somewhat frequently, still they are over 10 years old but still serviceable

-one pair of winter boots I bought in one of those hard winters around 2010-11 but now it's been years I wore them because of mostly mild winters. (They are a disappointment, the leather became quickly somewhat discolored by a shoeshine I used - I could probably skip them if my light hiking boots were slightly dressier.)

- one pair of sturdy leather+ gore tex shoes (although low, not ankle boots) also better suited for winter (again I had them before the winter boots, they are pretty worn out now and will be discarded eventually)

- three pairs of everyday leather shoes, one black, one brown, one brown suede

- two pairs of "dress shoes", one black, one dark brown for festive occasions.

- one pair of "outdoor sandals", one pair of Birkenstock style house sandals, one pair of felt slippers for winter (I live in a house with rather cold floors in some rooms, barefoot is not really an option except now in the hottest summer).

50 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

It's a strange gendered thing to mock people for owning lots of shoes. They're just shoes. If you like them and wear them then cool! 

Can I add 'and have space to store them'. Shoe mess is the absolute worst. 

4 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Thermal leggings explain a lot. I only have some old pairs that I mostly used for dance practice and laying around the house. But in those, I would not go out if it was as cold as 8°C. :P

I do not think the wearing out the part of trousers between the thighs/just under the butt is necessarily connected with cycling - my jeans tend to do it too, and I basically never ride a bike.

It's just a matter of practice ;) Although the part of me liking "the cold" could be a reason why I don't need them very often. After all, I usually wear short sleeves without jackets till the temperature drops below 15-17ºC approx :P

Maybe that's why I've also used tights as well this winter. But leggings and jeans are the best....

4 hours ago, Jo498 said:

I am not at all collecting shoes but I think it is defensible to own a reasonable amount, partly because they last longer if one does not wear them so often. Depending on the sports and leisure activities one does and the seasons one might need shoes not even worn once a year.

This.

I'm pretty attached to my brand of running shoes- Asics. I tend to build up a lot of used pairs in the closet. And half the time I forget about other styles of shoes I have, like sandals or boots. Then I go through the closet and it's all, "oh, yeah, you guys..."

I'm in agreement with all of you on buying jeans. A favorite pair of mine developed holes in the knees recently, and I went everywhere trying to find new ones. I cannot stand the skinny jean/jegging style, so that eliminated about eighty percent of what stores carry.

My shoes seem to be multiplying. I keep retiring running shoes and turning them into walking shoes. Now I have like 10 pairs. I see how easy it is to get addicted to shoe shopping.

On related stuck in my way news: I've been taking the same sandwich to work every day for the past 5 years now. Saves me having to think about what I'm having for lunch, and it's cheap. People seem to think that's odd.

4 hours ago, Impmk2 said:

On related stuck in my way news: I've been taking the same sandwich to work every day for the past 5 years now. Saves me having to think about what I'm having for lunch, and it's cheap. People seem to think that's odd.

5 years? Surely by now it's closer to "compost" than "food"?

Or is it a dwarf bread sandwich?

what shoes one can wear also doesn't depend on one's waistline and they do not quite seem as fashion-dependent as many other pieces of clothing (although I cannot claim any expertise here, too stuck in my ways to care about trends ;))

10 hours ago, Impmk2 said:

My shoes seem to be multiplying. I keep retiring running shoes and turning them into walking shoes. Now I have like 10 pairs. I see how easy it is to get addicted to shoe shopping.

I pretty much eat exactly the same thing for lunch every work day. Hummus, a few crackers, a banana and like 5 little oranges lmao. It works for me and if anyone thinks I’m weird for it they haven’t told me yet :lol: 

12 hours ago, Impmk2 said:

Well my lunch is very similar at least 3 days per week, basically vegetables with chicken (which is quite healthy btw). Sometimes people have told me that I should change, go to the restaurant (as if I had money for that), or if I'm not bored (it's more than I'm just accustomed), etc. but the thing is that I don't have a personal chef either . If only. If that was true I'd have no need to bring a tupperware with me in the first place :P Maybe I'd even eat something just cooked....by the chef.

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 11:47 PM, Meera of Tarth said:

Oh really?

I can't wear super skinny jeans because my calves are also very muscular. Well, in reality I hate these type of jeans. . I also don't like high waist jeans, because they are uncomfortable (especially after eating) and now these are the norm.

I've been patiently waiting for years and years for the mid waist flared jeans to return, but it doesn't happen. At least I still have some of them from my 15th year-old self. But I  have to treat them very carefully...

I don't know where you're located, but the retailer Talbots carries a wide range of jeans. A recent marketing slogan was something along the lines of "Jeans for every BODY." 

https://www.talbots.com/online/jeans/_/N-10235

A great fitting pair of jeans is a thing of beauty.  

I'm embarrassed to say how many jeans I have.  What's awful is that this summer I haven't even worn any of them because of the damn heat! I basically live in shorts. 

Oh, and I must admit to having numerous pairs of sneakers (or trainers) - my favorite pair is a slip-on metallic gold/beige with a slight shimmer. (not garish or cheap-looking, just the right amount of bling)  I'm crazy about them!  I get people asking me where I bought them every time I wear them.  I have a grey flannel pair I love too.  I had to restrain myself from buying some red gingham checked sneakers this past spring, but enough was enough!

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 4:59 PM, Theda Baratheon said:

It's probably why I only have a few pairs lol! I don't have the space for more! 

I've been on a big shoe-buying binge - probably because I'm unable to wear regular shoes due to a badly broken (smashed!) ankle, and I've been clomping around in a medical boot.  :(  Buying shoes gives me hope for the future!  I store winter boots and things I normally wear in cold months in an under-the-bed storage thingy - and same with sandals and summer shoes. 

As for being stuck in your ways, BFC, I don't see anything wrong with it as long as you're happy.  You know what you like and you stick with it.   I used to do that too, until I lost my mind.  :P 

Mmm, in not-online shops it's quite difficult. I more or less know where to find them, but they represent a minority of the current offer, and they normally aren't as flared as I would like them to be. Low rise is also quite difficult to find.

And more than bootcut, really flared jeans (and not high rise) are even more difficult (if not impossible) to find. Or at least they were this Spring...

I'm stuck in old trends, I guess.

@Meera:  Better learn how to sew! 

I get cravings now and then for a style and drive myself crazy trying to find something similar, only to be disappointed, or worse, find it and it's a multi-thousand-dollar designer style.  I've been known to break down and try to make my own things now and then. (not so much recently.) 

Right now I'm jonesing for a varsity/bomber jacket, vintage/previously owned, of course, preferably with patches on it advertising horse feed and tack.  Shouldn't be too hard to find, right? ;) 

18 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

@Meera:  Better learn how to sew! 

I've actually thought of it :) Although it would be really difficult. Sometimes, though I've wondered about making my own creations...if I knew...

I suppose that this is what drove me to start learning about hairdressing on my own. Although even in that case, the lack of practice (and people to practice with) sometimes makes me quite nervous when I want to do something creative. Like...do I still know how to do highlights? Then I know I still know, but it takes more time than expected. Like when I cut the front part of my hair on my own the way I want.

I get cravings now and then for a style and drive myself crazy trying to find something similar, only to be disappointed, or worse, find it and it's a multi-thousand-dollar designer style.  I've been known to break down and try to make my own things now and then. (not so much recently.) 

Right now I'm jonesing for a varsity/bomber jacket, vintage/previously owned, of course, preferably with patches on it advertising horse feed and tack.  Shouldn't be too hard to find, right? ;) 

I know that feeling!!!

Mmh, I guess you might have tried, but maybe in a 2nd hand store or vintage market from a little village?

Archived