The execution of Janos Slynt was spot on - third time's the charm!

kissdbyfire

I honestly don't see the point of you continuously making threads on this particular topicconsidering your expressed views:

"It's truly baffling. Some things are open for debate speculation, and sure, different people will have different opinions etc. But this is spelled out, we have Jon's thoughts on the matter, and I don't get why people are still arguing that it was personal, it was vengeance, yadda yadda yadda.

I mean, seriously, this is a non-thread, on its third iteration, debating a non-issue. The mind boggles. :wacko:"

Are you making these threads to get some of Jon's "haters" to come out for the express purpose of laughing at them when they express a view that's against the one you see as unequivocally true? Or do you hope for a pure Eco-chamber?  If not that what exactly is your hope in making these non-threads? 

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I honestly don't see the point of you continuously making threads on this particular topicconsidering your expressed views:

"It's truly baffling. Some things are open for debate speculation, and sure, different people will have different opinions etc. But this is spelled out, we have Jon's thoughts on the matter, and I don't get why people are still arguing that it was personal, it was vengeance, yadda yadda yadda.

I mean, seriously, this is a non-thread, on its third iteration, debating a non-issue. The mind boggles. :wacko:"

Are you making these threads to get some of Jon's "haters" to come out for the express purpose of laughing at them when they express a view that's against the one you see as unequivocally true? Or do you hope for a pure Eco-chamber?  If not that what exactly is your hope in making these non-threads? 

Is eco-chamber your favourite word ever?

As long as the threads keep reaching 21 pages I will keep at it. The debate can be infuriating at times, but that doesn't mean it can't be interesting as well. 

ETA: also, I'd rather have a thread where the main point of the OP isn't a thinly veiled "Jon Hate thread", like the very first one of these.

ETA 2: I'm totally fine w/ it being deleted immediately. As long as another blind hate doesn't pop up in its place in 5 mins.

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I honestly don't see the point of you continuously making threads on this particular topic considering your expressed views:

58 minutes ago, Ran said:

I kind of have to agree. This thread feels like it has been beaten into the ground.

Now that we are pushing on a decade between book releases, we literally have nothing else. It seems to be this or fan fic threads where folks try to rewrite George's books under the guise of "what ifs?" 
Most salient discussions happened over 5 years ago, and since we are not allowed to include info from the show, even as how it may be related to the books, this grand forum is reduced to what we have now

On August 15, 2018 at 11:12 AM, kissdbyfire said:

ETA: also, I'd rather have a thread where the main point of the OP isn't a thinly veiled "Jon Hate thread", like the very first one of these.

The very first thread's op merely made arguement that says Jon's decision was emotionally motivated, and not just. The actual substance of each of these threads appears not really dissimilar; wait was that really the big/only problem you had with first thread, that made repeatdly complain about how stupid it was? Truth, be told  I honestly don't  see why the OP in any of these sequel nonthreads, being one of adoration for Jon's decision is really better or worse. 

On August 15, 2018 at 11:12 AM, kissdbyfire said:

Is eco-chamber your favourite word ever?

I think asking if making an Eco-chamber is you what want is reasonable given you've made clear you find, debate on this issue completely ridiculous.

6 minutes ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

Now that we are pushing on a decade between book releases, we literally have nothing else. It seems to be this or fan fic threads where folks try to rewrite George's books under the guise of "what ifs?" 
Most salient discussions happened over 5 years ago, and since we are not allowed to include info from the show, even as how it may be related to the books, this grand forum is reduced to what we have now

The second version of this thread had plenty of "what if" speculation as it is. 

As for the discussion at hand - Jon executing Janos for gross insubordination and refusal to follow orders was just and well within his rights as lord commander. 

21 minutes ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

but there are some fan fic threads that are really great fun.

4 minutes ago, Prince Yourwetdream Aeryn said:

the word eco-chamber is definitely one step ahead for my english level.

The word is actually echo-chamber and simply plays off the word echo.  Varysblackfyre321 is stating that they thinks kissedbyfire started these threads just to hear supporters of her perspective repeat what she already believes. 

8 minutes ago, Prince Yourwetdream Aeryn said:

but there are some fan fic threads that are really great fun.

To each their own I guess.  Discussions on this forum are intended to be based on canon and events that actually take place in the books.  As such reader's fantasies about the books don't have a place in the discussion. 

4 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Jon's critics and the Anti-Jon crowd have already won the debate.  The execution was far from being justice.  

1 hour ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

My friends like to eat small children and live under bridges, but I think that makes them trolls by most definitions. 

:blush: if a troll is trolling me and I troll the troll does that make a troll master? Are there levels of trolldom? :dunce:

1 hour ago, Clegane'sPup said:

:blush: if a troll is trolling me and I troll the troll does that make a troll master? Are there levels of trolldom? :dunce:

To answer that you have to answer these riddles three:

1)

2)

3) Heh

13 minutes ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

To answer that you have to answer these riddles three:

1)

2)

3) Heh

Dude, I was laughing :lmao:then you trolled me :bawl:

I haven’t read the other threads, so apologies if I go over any ground that’s already been covered.

Could there have been an emotional element to what Jon did? Quite possibly, but it’s largely irrelevant, as there were other factors that led to the decision being made.

He wanted Slynt out of Castle Black because he simply could not be trusted. He is clearly a dishonourable man, and would jump at the first opportunity to betray Jon. Ordering him away and separating him from Thorne and other allies was essential, and would be a good move by any lord or commander.

We should ask – why did Slynt refuse in the manner that he did? It may just be that he didn’t fancy the appointment, but his flat refusal and mockery was clearly aimed to undermine Jon and rally supporters to him. Even if that wasn’t his intention, it would have been the outcome anyway. He had to be taken care of.

A hypothetical here, but what if Slynt had done as he was told? Does anyone think Jon would have fabricated another excuse to execute him? I doubt it. Stretching the point further, but if Slynt had arrived at the Wall and acted in good faith, i.e. treated Jon like a brother and aimed to be a good member of the Nights Watch, does anyone think this would have come about anyway? I doubt it. Slynt arrived at the Wall, assumed Jon’s enmity and immediately started aiming for his destruction.

Whatever Jon’s feelings towards him, the outcome was pretty much inevitable given Slynt’s actions.

17 hours ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

Indeed. And people have become so entrenched with regards to certain characters and issues by now that they’re very unlikely to be swayed by any argument, reasoned or not.

22 hours ago, White Ravens said:

The second version of this thread had plenty of "what if" speculation as it is. 

There didn't need to be. We have the books and the characters developed in those books. 

22 hours ago, White Ravens said:

As for the discussion at hand - Jon executing Janos for gross insubordination and refusal to follow orders was just and well within his rights as lord commander. 

It was. 

Archived