TTTNE 474 - The Thread That Never Dies But Rises Stronger

RhaenysBee

16 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

I ended up going to the other room to sleep. I was quite thankful for my fateful laziness that kept me from making that bed for three days so I could just fall into it at 1:30pm without having to mess too much. 

Oh good! Glad you did!

I didn't have much trouble yesterday, normally when I'm in the town the dog of the neighbor cries all night long but yesterday he didn't.

(And yeah, I also feel bad for him..)

1 hour ago, RhaenysBee said:

I ended up going to the other room to sleep. I was quite thankful for my fateful laziness that kept me from making that bed for three days so I could just fall into it at 1:30pm without having to mess too much. 

Who is making so much noise?.

1 hour ago, Lord Sidious said:

Who is making so much noise?.

College students. There was a party last night. I’m convinced these things are not legal, and if I lived in a movie I would start a class action against the uni and have them move the dorms out of the residential area or at least fine them and ban these parties. Alas, I’m not in a movie, so I just thank god I have another room I go to sleep to. 

2 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Oh good! Glad you did!

I didn't have much trouble yesterday, normally when I'm in the town the dog of the neighbor cries all night long but yesterday he didn't.

(And yeah, I also feel bad for him..)

When I visit my parents I’m usually fine with sleep, unless there’s a construction, otherwise the windows are quite okay cancelling out barking and such. 

Glad to hear you could sleep. 

greetings spamlanders...just sniffing through and lifting a leg here and there to stir up the action

was thinking today you all need a dose of NSFW...sniffer style...

...enjoy

feeling sad but looking good

dirty but sexy

small vs large

and girls are real

daario rules

..and animals just for fun...

scream it if you mean it...

i want it - baby you got it

menage a trois

:smoking:

On 10/13/2018 at 6:10 PM, RhaenysBee said:

College students. There was a party last night. I’m convinced these things are not legal, and if I lived in a movie I would start a class action against the uni and have them move the dorms out of the residential area or at least fine them and ban these parties. Alas, I’m not in a movie, so I just thank god I have another room I go to sleep to. 

When I visit my parents I’m usually fine with sleep, unless there’s a construction, otherwise the windows are quite okay cancelling out barking and such. 

Glad to hear you could sleep. 

Your action would most likely be a nuisance claim against the individuals rather than the university. Also it isn’t really a class action fin you sue the university as you are suing the institution rather than a group of people. It could be a class action if you were representing, collectively, other people in your neighbourhood I suppose.

54 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Your action would most likely be a nuisance claim against the individuals rather than the university. Also it isn’t really a class action fin you sue the university as you are suing the institution rather than a group of people. It could be a class action if you were representing, collectively, other people in your neighbourhood I suppose.

Yes the last sentence is exactly what I meant. If I were in a Hollywood movie, I would prance around the neighborhood and give passionate speeches and talk them into signing a petition or whatever document they need to sign to express their willingness to end the oppressive reign of noisy college students in the street. And then I would take it to court and have justice served for every amplifier they blast at 2am at their wretched parties, every piece of trash they leave behind on the street, every drunken shout or shrill or giggle that tear into the quiet of the night when grown-ass working people are trying to rest. *bows and leaves stage* 

Fun aside, i don’t think our justice system even has something like a class action, for the record. :dunno: 

@rocksniffer I always thought people sent animal pics for the purpose of cuteness. But I guess it’s a novel approach to animal pics you represent here sniffer :lol: 

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Offering free legal advice, I see, because you are a good person!

On 10/13/2018 at 1:10 PM, RhaenysBee said:

We (Mrs. C & I) are fortunate to have a house and not an apartment, but the place next to us has two rental units that turn over regularly - not with college students, but often young couples of college age - and they tend to be noisy. We and the neighbors on the other side,have had to visit from time to time to ask them to turn their music down. The neighbor on the other side is even closer and she also visits them regularly. These are difficult encounters, but usually result in cooperation. We would not hesitate to "call the cops" if there was a hint of resistance.

Mrs.C works at the largest Uni. in our state as an administrative assistant and she says after you call the cops, and the landlord, the Dean of Students would be your next call.

To sum up, long before you get to your class action suit, talk to the kids directly - or leave a note if that's too uncomfortable. College kids are usually experiencing adulthood for the first time - and like many first timers, they screw it up in the beginning (apologies to those of you that are college students - but I was one once too.). Cops are good at dealing with these things, and your landlord should know if there's this kind of problem in the building. The Dean of Students handles student behavior and it  is up to them to make sure their presence in the community is not a bother.

4 hours ago, honeyed chicken said:

We (Mrs. C & I) are fortunate to have a house and not an apartment, but the place next to us has two rental units that turn over regularly - not with college students, but often young couples of college age - and they tend to be noisy. We and the neighbors on the other side,have had to visit from time to time to ask them to turn their music down. The neighbor on the other side is even closer and she also visits them regularly. These are difficult encounters, but usually result in cooperation. We would not hesitate to "call the cops" if there was a hint of resistance.

Mrs.C works at the largest Uni. in our state as an administrative assistant and she says after you call the cops, and the landlord, the Dean of Students would be your next call.

To sum up, long before you get to your class action suit, talk to the kids directly - or leave a note if that's too uncomfortable. College kids are usually experiencing adulthood for the first time - and like many first timers, they screw it up in the beginning (apologies to those of you that are college students - but I was one once too.). Cops are good at dealing with these things, and your landlord should know if there's this kind of problem in the building. The Dean of Students handles student behavior and it  is up to them to make sure their presence in the community is not a bother.

I appreciate your helpfulness, HC, my case is a little different however. 

There are some college student aged residents in my building, but there’s hardly any problem with them. The problem is a ten storey building the the street which serves as a college dormitory and houses hundreds of college students. Now there’s no way of asking them to shut up individually. Sometimes when there’s a small group of people smoking and chatting under the window, we (as in any resident of any building under which they smoke and chat) open the window and ask them to please tone it down, and usually they do. When There’s a group of piss drunk 18-year-olds whooping and bellowing at the end of the street two buildings from my window I don’t exactly have a way of making a polite request, unless I myself yell across the street or go outside to chase them in my nightgown. 

In my opinion it would be the responsibility the dorm managers and teachers to make these young people comply with the rules of the dorm itself (I checked this on the internet) and the residential area. According to both, they are supposed to shut the F up after 10pm. I am yet to talk to these people, but then again, they would most likely face the same issues, it’s difficult to handle this individually and I doubt they have the right/nerve to provide consequences to legally grownup people. I have also mentioned to the facility manager of my building that the college students are bothersome but he dismissed it on the grounds that “we have all been young and nobody forced any of us to live in this street”, I can argue with this but what can you do when he clearly doesn’t want the trouble to spending a single phone call on this matter.  

I can of course make complaints to the dorm management and the university, and at some point I will, but there’s hardly a chance that one individual would achieve anything. As for the class action thing, there’s nothing even remotely serious about this, it was a daydream of my vengeful side. I would never put time, money and energy into such, I would spend those resources to move house again and make a better choice this time.

This was needlessly long, I apologize for being unable to keep my shit short and to the point. 

This looks horrible. I'm sorry Rhaenys, maybe you have a chance with the dorm management, I send you lots of luck.

I remember that for the Festivities of my neighborhood there used to be a lot of noise, beating sounds that could be heard perfectly with earplugs and windows with double piece of glass as well as roller shutters shut down. 

These "DJ-parties" lasted for several weekends, from 9 pm to 4 am, and at early morning there was music again, Of course, we only had that problem in November and June (they invented Spring Festivities using the same version of events). I wrote to the neighborhood association telling how horrible it was not being able to get a wink of sleep during all the weekends of two months and they somehow relocated some of these parties in another place, which was further from home, but from the same neighborhood. (Because they always decided it had to be held every time in that same location). So now we have the same problem, but less days.

Not to mention that the music there was of awful quality, and once I tried to go to see it (because I could not sleep) I almost had an anxiety attack because I think they were surpassing the 130 dB.

I can't imagine what it would be like to have that on a daily basis.

13 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Yes the last sentence is exactly what I meant. If I were in a Hollywood movie, I would prance around the neighborhood and give passionate speeches and talk them into signing a petition or whatever document they need to sign to express their willingness to end the oppressive reign of noisy college students in the street. And then I would take it to court and have justice served for every amplifier they blast at 2am at their wretched parties, every piece of trash they leave behind on the street, every drunken shout or shrill or giggle that tear into the quiet of the night when grown-ass working people are trying to rest. *bows and leaves stage* 

Fun aside, i don’t think our justice system even has something like a class action, for the record. :dunno: 

@rocksniffer I always thought people sent animal pics for the purpose of cuteness. But I guess it’s a novel approach to animal pics you represent here sniffer :lol: 

Class action lawsuits are a bigger thing in the U.S. There’s are provisions in the CPR allowing them in England and Wales but they are rare as hens teeth. Not sure about for you, i know some civil law jurisdictions allow them

12 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Offering free legal advice, I see, because you are a good person!

Not going to lie all that advice was given while “flooded with justice” ran through my mind (that is a class action lawsuit btw)

Oh and fwiw I was the bitch in Halls of Residence (student accomodation) who would go tell people to shut the F up, turn down their crappy music and generally make noise/nuisance complaints. Direct confrontation is surprisingly effective even if you are a scrawny White woman who isn’t physically intimidating. The temper is ferocious 

9 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

:o no! It’s fascinating to examine the human mind, truly a complex and fascinatingly phenomenon

:agree: it really is. Sometimes slightly creepy, but def not boring :o 

7 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Class action lawsuits are a bigger thing in the U.S. There’s are provisions in the CPR allowing them in England and Wales but they are rare as hens teeth. Not sure about for you, i know some civil law jurisdictions allow them

Not going to lie all that advice was given while “flooded with justice” ran through my mind (that is a class action lawsuit btw)

Yeah, I dont think they exist here at all, it’s this fictional thing you see on tv, like dragons :lol: our justice system is vastly different from that of English speaking countries. 

@Meera of Tarth they don’t necessarily have parties every day or even every week. In fact from mid September to mid October we had a shockingly quiet few weeks. At the end of August there’s always orientation week, that’s rather rough because they have a party or some noisy thing scheduled for every evening. Aside from that there’s a mid term party and an end of term party. That’s bearable though very annoying when happening. What’s bothersome on an everyday basis is the general barbaric attitude that it’s okay to be loud and piss drunk on the street or in front of the buildings past 10 pm. It’s not, if you want to be loud and piss drunk, go to a pub or a club or an empty park, that’s perfectly okay. 

Archived