US Politics: Crossing that Ford

Fragile Bird

It's really hard for me to listen to this so I can't even imagine what it is like for Dr. Blasey.

That sexual assault R stooge from AZ -- Nina Totenberg says she revealed via the questioning that she wasn't just hired two days ago, but quite some ago.  It happened because her line of questioning is all about leading people along the route that Dr. Blasey, naive summer child, is a pawn, used by a well-funded conspiracy to take out BK. As NT has spent much if not most of her life listening to such lengthy and often truly tedious questioning in these rooms, her ears are very well tuned.

At least I have to head out to the university, so I can tear myself away from this.

20 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Informed people would say this. It is unfortunately completely normal in the USA to be uninformed about these issues. Neither ignorance nor racism are mental illnesses. 

I guess I should have said normal and informed, because basically every person I’ve talked to who isn’t a bigot and understands the data and situation arrives at what I said.

That said, this isn’t the first time SweetPea has tried to have this conversation…..

16 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

In all serious though, it would be smart for a male senator to yield all of his time to her or each senator who wants to to yield a minute of their time.

Did you just watch the hearings?  You think any of those guys don't want to show the world how much of a #metoo supporter they are?  We got Leahy, Durbin, Whitehouse, Coons, Blumenthal, and Booker.  Please tell me which of those guys is not gonna want national facetime.

34 minutes ago, DMC said:

Re:  Term limits - U.S. Term Limits v Thornton (1995).  Also, you guys realize terms limits were pushed by the GOP so they could oust entrenched Democratic incumbents, right?

meh, that's just state stuff, of course it's not valid, that's why I proposed the ludicrously realistic constitutional amendment. :-p

and why would I care about the party of the incumbent? I'm against incumbents in general on principle.

1 minute ago, lokisnow said:

meh, that's just state stuff, of course it's not valid, that's why I proposed the ludicrously realistic constitutional amendment. :-p

:)

1 minute ago, lokisnow said:

and why would I care about the party of the incumbent? I'm against incumbents in general on principle.

Admittedly, I care more about the empirical effect than the normative argument.  Smarter and better informed people than me thought it would be good for the GOP and bad for Dems 25 years ago.  Frankly, that could have changed, but I'm not aware of anyone that's looked into that.

17 minutes ago, DMC said:

Did you just watch the hearings?  You think any of those guys don't want to show the world how much of a #metoo supporter they are?  We got Leahy, Durbin, Whitehouse, Coons, Blumenthal, and Booker.  Please tell me which of those guys is not gonna want national facetime.

I'm sorry, was just running down that list and am compelled to share my reasons for why none will yield any time:

• Leahy - Batman!
  • Durbin - Minority Whip
  • Whitehouse - His name is Whitehouse!
  • Coons - Biden acolyte - youtube some of Biden's use of time during hearings
  • Blumenthal - Dude lied about his Vietnam service
  • Booker - Running for president

2 minutes ago, Bonnot OG said:

Her past sex crimes cases should be investigated because there is no fucking way she was a compitent sex crimes prosecutor.

Dude...come on. All the background that has come out shows she is competent and well respected on both sides of the aisle.

1 hour ago, Bonnot OG said:

Graham doubled down on not believing Ford.

You see him just now?  What a piece of shit.  Referring to Blasey Graham said "she is just a victim of this as Brett Kavanaugh."  Wow.

8 minutes ago, Suttree said:

Dude...come on. All the background that has come out shows she is competent and well respected on both sides of the aisle.

Lol go look at where she worked. Sheriff Joe Arpaio's county. Where 400 sex crimes were ignored. Please, she's a as big of a piece of shit as the rest of them.

9 minutes ago, DMC said:

You see him just now?  What a piece of shit.  Referring to Blasey Graham said "she is just a victim of this as Brett Kavanaugh."  Wow.

Yea. He's enraging me to no end today. He also tried to paint himself as a victim with his getting ambushed by dems bs. He desrves to get confronted non stop now.

I thought Mitchell did an okay job. I think she was told how to proceed and what questioning they wanted to do, and she did what she could with it, but there's only so much she could do. 

I don't think it helped very much; Dr. Ford's testimony was very solid and reasonable, and I think people who listened to it will be hard-pressed to fault her particularly much. Now Republicans have to change tactics, and go after the overall process of a Deep Democratic Delay / massive plan to use her against Kavanaugh. 

That said, I would think it is FAR more risky to Republican control of SCOTUS if they push Kavanaugh in, dems get control and impeach his ass. 

Archived