US Politics: Judge Dread

DMC

So, let’s say he gets confirmed and then Ford goes to the police to officially ‘report’ the assault. What’s the procedure? Do they investigate? Can they arrest him? What if he’s charged? Has that ever happened to a SC judge? It all seems so odd that we’re talking about a crime at a job interview, this woman has to relive an assault so that a panel of old white men can decide if a guy gets a job. 

Just now, ljkeane said:

48 senators are going to vote for Kavanaugh after that hearing? Wow.

It really is barely a surprise. Apparently Lindsey Graham got uproarious applause when he walked into a chamber of republican representatives 

Just now, Mexal said:

Flake is having a really hard time with this. It won't change his vote cause he's a coward but it's clearly affecting him. Good.

I refuse to get my hopes up about Flake ever again, but...

This started after Flake and Coons just spoke in the anteroom together after Flake walked out.

5 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Yea Fez, I just saw that. I still don't believe but I do think he's honestly having a tough time with this. Still, fuck him.

Jeff Flake is quite possibly the most frustrating Republican in the Senate.  He constantly decries the many terrible things that Trump and Republicans are doing, and yet he has SO MANY TOOLS available to stop them or at least meaningfully register his disapproval.  And instead, over and over, he does nothing. 

Indeed. Fuck Flake. Attempted rape is okay, but tarriffs? My god, Trump is simply unworthy of the presidency!

Didn't he tweet several months ago that he would not support any Trump SCOTUS nominee as long as he was under investigation?

3 minutes ago, Durckad said:

Indeed. Fuck Flake. Attempted rape is okay, but tarriffs? My god, Trump is simply unworthy of the presidency!

Didn't he tweet several months ago that he would not support any Trump SCOTUS nominee as long as he was under investigation?

I think SCOTUS was the one to which he gave special exception, it was other vacancies he was protesting. The SC is too big for the party, it is why many who dislike Trump voted for him, Mitch McConnell’s legacy as leader rests on radically reshaping America through “activsts judges”. 

1 minute ago, Maithanet said:

Jeff Flake is quite possibly the most frustrating Republican in the Senate.  He constantly decries the many terrible things that Trump and Republicans are doing, and yet he has SO MANY TOOLS available to stop them or at least meaningfully register his disapproval.  And instead, over and over, he does nothing. 

Agreed. Thing is, on straightforward policy issues he is one of the five most conservative Republicans in the Senate. But he does give lots of signs of actually understanding right and wrong and having a moral compass, which is important in these times where policy no longer really matters. However, he never ever has the courage to actually act on his inner convictions. Instead just giving endless speeches that piss off everybody. I still get why he doesn't act on lots of things, stuff like the tax cuts and the ACA repeal were policy goals he legitimately supported; but something like this, where they could easily get another conservative justice on the bench instead, he has no excuse not to stand up.

I thought maybe last night this was finally the breaking point for him, but after his announcement this morning I refuse to be Charlie Brown with the football ever again about him.

In non-Kavanaugh news, it’s about to get hot AF in here:

Last month, deep in a 500-page environmental impact statement, the Trump administration made a startling assumption: On its current course, the planet will warm a disastrous 7 degrees by the end of this century.

A rise of 7 degrees Fahrenheit, or about 4 degrees Celsius, compared with preindustrial levels would be catastrophic, according to scientists. Many coral reefs would dissolve in increasingly acidic oceans. Parts of Manhattan and Miami would be underwater without costly coastal defenses. Extreme heat waves would routinely smother large parts of the globe.

But the administration did not offer this dire forecast as part of an argument to combat climate change. Just the opposite: The analysis assumes the planet’s fate is already sealed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/trump-administration-sees-a-7-degree-rise-in-global-temperatures-by-2100/2018/09/27/b9c6fada-bb45-11e8-bdc0-90f81cc58c5d_story.html?utm_term=.1db6923e3d22

38 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

48 senators are going to vote for Kavanaugh after that hearing? Wow.

Did you miss the poll on the first page? 54% of Republicans polled said they want Kavanaugh seated even if he’s 100% guilty.

8 minutes ago, Fez said:

But something like this, where they could easily get another conservative justice on the bench instead, he has no excuse not to stand up.

I thought maybe last night this was finally the breaking point for him, but after his announcement this morning I refuse to be Charlie Brown with the football ever again about him.

Exactly.  All he needs to do is get Collins or Murkowski (preferably both) on board with saying "We can't vote yes until there's a proper investigation", and then signal to Republicans that if they want Kavanaugh, they need to clear his name, but if they want to withdraw him, he'll happily vote for a non-predator conservative.  And voila!  Flake's moral quandary is lifted.  Sure, Trump et al would hate it, but who cares, Flake isn't running for reelection, and by all accounts he hates Trump personally. 

It's not like this would compromise his principles, he'd still get his conservative Supreme Court.  Unless Flake is worried about the Republican Doomsday where somehow the Democrats delay the vote until January and retake the Senate (this is still almost vanishingly unlikely).  But maybe that's it.  Maybe he's worried about that and is willing to seat a probable sexual predator on the court just to protect all those "unborn babies".  If so, I ought to revise my opinion of him down even further, and it's already pretty damn low. 

Just now, Mexal said:

I don't understand that at all. Even if Flake somehow actually was switching to "no" at that point I'd think Democrats would want the vote; to get him on record. Is he having some sort of panic attack?

1 minute ago, Fez said:

I don't understand that at all. Even if Flake somehow actually was switching to "no" at that point I'd think Democrats would want the vote; to get him on record. Is he having some sort of panic attack?

Really good question. I don't get what's going on at all. Not sure anyone does.

ETA: Unless Flake still doesn't know what he's doing so they want to delay it a bit. Supposedly Flake is also talking with Collins.

2 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Maybe a new development, such as another accuser?

I don't think so. This all started when Flake was asked to give his final thoughts, refused, got up and asked Coons, who he's close with, to join him out of the room. 

ETA: Vote supposed to be happening now and Grassley is leaving the room. Something is going on.

Archived