US Politics: Judge Dread

DMC

1 hour ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Listening to the hearing and watching it were two totally different experiences. I thought Kavanaugh came off bad on the radio, but after watching the highlights, IDK how anyone can say he’s credible.

Republicans only watch Fox News.  And Fox ensures that everything is properly formatted and edited so that no one ever has to feel even the slightest shred of cognitive dissonance over their pretend morals and the actions they're supporting.  

My family are so brainwashed they'd vote for Satan himself if Trump nominated him.  

2 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Why the GOP senators went to all those lengths to more or less publicly humiliate Dr. Ford, that is better question imo - this whole excercise was in many ways just cruel and pointless, as they were always going to confirm.

The Republican senators haven't fully adapted to the world they're in.  Many of them still think they need to pretend, to put up the show like the old days.  They're still not used to their supporters completly not giving a shit about anything but what they're told by Fox and Trump.

But they're getting tehre now I think.

10 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Seriously.  I think it's incredible that so many Republicans seem to be saying "I think something happened to Dr. Ford, but I think she's mistaken that it was Kavanaugh."  On what basis could anyone assume that?  It is just a cowardly dodge - you refuse to believe her, but aren't willing to call her a liar.

I'm sorry, but the research on this does give them a dodge. There are many cases where victims of sexual assault have been wrong about who the perpetrator was, and this has been proved by DNA testing. I personally think that is very unlikely in this case, as Blasey Ford knew Kavanaugh by sight before the alleged assault and most of the mistaken identifications have been in "stranger rape" situations -- but there still is a small possibility her memory on this is faulty. So that allows people who want to believe Kavanaugh to do so without assuming she is a "liar."

16 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I'm sorry, but the research on this does give them a dodge. There are many cases where victims of sexual assault have been wrong about who the perpetrator was, and this has been proved by DNA testing. I personally think that is very unlikely in this case, as Blasey Ford knew Kavanaugh by sight before the alleged assault and most of the mistaken identifications have been in "stranger rape" situations -- but there still is a small possibility her memory on this is faulty. So that allows people who want to believe Kavanaugh to do so without assuming she is a "liar."

I agree it is not impossible, but the facts of this case make it extremely improbable.  Far more improbable, IMO than that either Kavanaugh or Ford is lying.  But people seem happy to willfully embrace a middle ground position that is untenable. 

19 minutes ago, argonak said:

Republicans only watch Fox News.  And Fox ensures that everything is properly formatted and edited so that no one ever has to feel even the slightest shred of cognitive dissonance over their pretend morals and the actions they're supporting.  

My family are so brainwashed they'd vote for Satan himself if Trump nominated him.  

Actually, few as they may be, the hard news journalists at Fox pretty much all said she was a very credible witness. It’s just that they are heavily outweighed by their commentary personalities, all of whom sided with Kavanaugh.

Go figure…

Just now, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Actually, few as they may be, the hard news journalists at Fox pretty much all said she was a very credible witness. It’s just that they are heavily outweighed by their commentary personalities, all of whom sided with Kavanaugh.

Go figure…

As far as I can tell, my parents still skip the news hours and go straight to the commentary folks.  They used to be big fans of Bill O'Reilly.  I think Sean Hannity is their prefferred news source now, but its hard to tell because when we visit or call we completly avoid any discussion that remotely relates to news or politics.  

I cannot recall if this has been discussed or not because of how fast the thread was moving yesterday, but this is worth a read:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/brett-kavanaugh-ken-starr_us_5bad2f2de4b0b4d308d11e35

Kavanaigh’s crocodile tears about his family and smearing people really ring hollow when you consider the questions he wanted to ask President Clinton. Furthermore, those are the type of questions that would never cross a choir boy’s mind. They’re more in line with a guy who wanted to boofed drunk women when he was in high school.

9 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Well, one of that gang of 4 is a no.

Collins claimed around 20 minutes ago to reporters that she was still undecided. I suspect the gang of 4 thing was reported incorrectly; if they actually had made a pact to vote together, it would've had far more impact if they jointly announced it at a press conference.

Just now, Fez said:

Collins claimed around 20 minutes ago to reporters that she was still undecided. I suspect the gang of 4 thing was reported incorrectly; if they actually had made a pact to vote together, it would've had far more impact if they jointly announced it at a press conference.

Agreed. I don't think it's likely. I think she votes Yes.

As an aside, the Dean of Yale Law is now coming out with the ABA and calling for an investigation. This is not going to end well.

2 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Agreed. I don't think it's likely. I think she votes Yes.

As an aside, the Dean of Yale Law is now coming out with the ABA and calling for an investigation. This is not going to end well.

For lawyers out there, what is the process for being disbarred?  Is there any possibility that Kavanaugh could be disbarred for crimes such as this?  Particularly if other witnesses or women were to come forward after the confirmation was over?

I assume not, but I'm curious. 

3 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

For lawyers out there, what is the process for being disbarred?  Is there any possibility that Kavanaugh could be disbarred for crimes such as this?  Particularly if other witnesses or women were to come forward after the confirmation was over?

I assume not, but I'm curious. 

This was exactly the question I had.  As a less extreme measure, can they suspend his license until he undergoes investigation?

6 minutes ago, butterbumps! said:

This was exactly the question I had.  As a less extreme measure, can they suspend his license until he undergoes investigation?

I don't know what the procedure is in the US, but in England and Wales, the standard of proof required to strike off a solicitor or barrister is the same as that required to find a defendant guilty ie beyond reasonable doubt.  I can't think of an example where this has happened due to an allegation of attempted rape that was not prosecuted (solicitors have been struck off after being found guilty of rape).

It's an increasingly shameless presentation by the ruling class of its depravity, and it's willingness to do anything to hold on to and increase its power over all the rest of us -- the rest of us, whom they despise as much as they hate us,.

It's always been that way, of course, but never so blatantly and undisguised since the orange nazi went campaigning.

Archived