US Politics: Judge Dread

DMC

7 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

Time to toss my two bits into the Kavanagh mess...

Lots of older religious conservatives on my route, who get the relevant literature.  One of the items that came through yesterday was a newspaper directed at hard right Catholics.  Two headlines caught my eye, one above the other.

The top one said confirming Kavanagh was an absolute must (more or less).

The one immediately below that demanded, in no uncertain terms, an immediate investigation into the current priestly child molestation scandal (pretty much, anyhow).

Didn't get the chance to read either article, just the headlines.  Still, I wondered from time to time if the irony registered on the readership. 

7 hours ago, Bonnot OG said:

not shocking a child molsester organization like the catholic church would support  sexual predator.

Why is it surprising that Catholics come from both sides of the political spectrum? The Catholic Register used to be quite liberal after Vatican Two, decades ago, but control of the paper moved into more conservative hands over the years. They do demand investigations into charges against priests and they have attacked Pope Francis on the topic. It is funny to me that 30 year old complaints against priests are accepted but not 30 year old complaints by women against men in power.

On the other hand, American Magazine, also an influential Catholic publication, owned by the Jesuits, called for the immediate withdrawal of Kavanaugh’s nomination yesterday.

Conservative American Catholics are just like other conservative Americans.

And the ultimate goal of all of this, humiliating women, putting a proven liar on the court, is that this guy ensures Trump is protected when the shit inevitably hits the fan with his own legal troubles because any conservative judge is going to be anti-abortion but they don’t all openly view a (Republican) President as a godking.

20 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I hope Jeff Flake lives a life of misery. "If you believe her, you vote no". As always, he's all talk and very little action. What a piece of shit.

Least surprising thing ever. He’s shown himself to be a fraud a long time ago.

After that little meeting last night too, if Flake is a yes I assume that means Collins and Murkowski (as well as Manchin and maybe Donnelly) are going to vote yes too.

Though maybe not, Flake's name wasn't in that supposed pact to vote together, so he could be going his own way. But I also wonder about the accuracy of that reported pact.

Can you imagine what the reaction would be if a woman went into a job interview and was evasive in answering questions, yelled about beer, bragged about athletic and academic prowess when answering questions about something else, cried, snapped back at the person asking the questions, and claimed that having to answer questions about what was admittedly a credible account of a sexual assault was part of a political conspiracy?

Or acting like the job is already yours because you're entitled to it for some reason?  

Can you imagine being so bad at your job that you and 52 co-workers are trying to fill a position and when you learn that the person you were considering is probably a rapist you just shrug your shoulders and say, "fuck it, give him shot"?

6 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Can you imagine what the reaction would be if a woman went into a job interview and was evasive in answering questions, yelled about beer, bragged about athletic and academic prowess when answering questions about something else, cried, snapped back at the person asking the questions, and claimed that having to answer questions about what was admittedly a credible account of a sexual assault was part of a political conspiracy?

Or acting like the job is already yours because you're entitled to it for some reason?  

Can you imagine being so bad at your job that you and 52 co-workers are trying to fill a position and when you learn that the person you were considering is probably a rapist you just shrug your shoulders and say, "fuck it, give him shot"?

And make that job guaranteed for life…..

I just heard a poll cited on NPR that found that 54% of Republican voters want Kavanaugh approved even if the allegations are true.

Let that sink in…..

16 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

No, Linds, you can’t express sympathy toward Dr. Ford and fully support bad man Brett, be honest call her a liar to her face, that is what your vote says, coward.

Seriously.  I think it's incredible that so many Republicans seem to be saying "I think something happened to Dr. Ford, but I think she's mistaken that it was Kavanaugh."  On what basis could anyone assume that?  It is just a cowardly dodge - you refuse to believe her, but aren't willing to call her a liar.

EDIT:  Also, I would like to add that I think Manchin and Donnelly would be making a huge mistake if they vote for Kavanaugh.  I understand that red state Democrats aren't going to vote with the Democrats 100% of the time, but if you think that attempted rape is just something we can ignore for a SC justice, you shouldn't expect Democrats to vote for you. 

Just now, Maithanet said:

Seriously.  I think it's incredible that so many Republicans seem to be saying "I think something happened to Dr. Ford, but I think she's mistaken that it was Kavanaugh."  On what basis could anyone assume that?  It is just a cowardly dodge - you refuse to believe her, but aren't willing to call her a liar.

Well, it's better than: "Yeah, but boys will be boys." or a straight: "I just don't give a fuck to be honest."

Both would probably be more accurate describtion of their "feelings", but arguably harder to stomach.

Anyway, call me a cynic, but I never expected any other outcome from his confirmation hearing. The very name says it, we heard him, now we confirm him. So it's really down, to, the GOP more or less openly saying, we don't give a fuck.

Why the GOP senators went to all those lengths to more or less publicly humiliate Dr. Ford, that is better question imo - this whole excercise was in many ways just cruel and pointless, as they were always going to confirm.

Archived